ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   BB16 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=663)
-   -   Big Brother receives 1,100 Ofcom complaints (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282312)

Headie 25-06-2015 12:41 PM

Big Brother receives 1,100 Ofcom complaints

Quote:

Ofcom has received more than 1,000 complaints after Big Brother contestant Helen Wood compared fellow contestant Brian Belo to a rapist and murderer.
Belo, who, like Wood, is a former Big Brother winner - quit the show after the row, saying he felt "degraded".
Wood's behaviour drew 3,784 complaints on last year's show - which she went on to win - amid allegations of bullying.
Ofcom said they would assess complaints from Wednesday night's show "before deciding whether to investigate".
Belo became increasingly worked up during Wednesday's show on Channel 5, which saw the contestants invited to play game in which Big Brother posed a series of antagonistic questions for the contestants to answer about each other.
Wood and Belo argued, culminating in Wood telling Belo: "Brian you look like a rapist, you look like a murderer-slash-rapist."
Various contestants told Wood she was "out of order", but she continued her invective, telling Belo "you have issues".
"The men in the white coats are waiting for you, Brian," she told him, as he stormed into the diary room.
The row resulted in Wood and another contestant being given a formal warning.

Speaking in the diary room, a visibly upset Belo said: "I feel like I'm being ganged up on. I don't want to cry. I've tried to keep away from there.
"I shouldn't have come back here. This is really hard. I feel like I'm living in hell. I'm defeated. I'm getting a barrage of abuse."
He described Wood as having "the morals of an alley cat". "I just feel degraded," he told fellow contestant Nikki Grahame.
He ended up quitting the show, by climbing over the garden wall.
Former contestants Wood, Belo - who won in 2007 - and Grahame were brought into the show two weeks ago, as part of this year's "time bomb" theme.
Following his departure, Wood said she had called Belo a rapist "to get a reaction", and was glad he had left the house because he "made my skin crawl".
She added honesty was "one of my best qualities".
In a statement, a Channel 5 spokesman said: "Big Brother takes rule breaking very seriously.
"Helen and Marc (O'Neill) were both warned regarding their behaviour and as with all housemates they continue to be closely monitored at all times."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33269343
Eject Helen FFS

Vicky. 25-06-2015 12:43 PM

Why the **** do people complain to ofcom? All its doing is making it more and more likely that BB will be taken off air, or incidents will be hidden from us :shrug: Would we prefer big arguments and such weren't shown as they may offend a few delicate flowers? Ofcom cannot remove housemates from the house..infact I am sure it takes a while for them to actually investigate complaints so BB will probably be finished by the time they get round to it, so its all so pointless.

RichardG 25-06-2015 12:46 PM

There's no need to give people like Helen any airtime on TV to spread their hate

Unfortunately Channel 5 love nastiness so complaints will only encourage them to keep her in longer

Jason. 25-06-2015 12:47 PM

Isn't this the controversy Channel 5 want?

MB. 25-06-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB6 (Post 7927317)
Isn't this the controversy Channel 5 want?

I'm sure they're not complaining that it's got an article on BBC News.

Ramsay 25-06-2015 12:50 PM

People who complain :bored:

joeysteele 25-06-2015 12:51 PM

We are warned before each programme that offensive language, aggressive behaviour and sexual content will be evident during the programme.

No one is allowed to get hurt in BB and really all is covered in that opening statement.
People are just so stupid at times.
With that warning in place at the start of every highlights,then the people who complain to ofcom should never watch it in the first place.

Ofcom should just say and treat it as rival fans complaining about a particular housemate and unless there is actual physical violence against a housemate by another, then no complaints will be acted upon as there is a valid and detailed warning at the start of every programme.

Visage 25-06-2015 12:51 PM

I'm under the impression they see this as publicity

Rob! 25-06-2015 12:52 PM

Tbh last night was the first ofcom worthy event that's happened all series...6 weeks in. They're slacking. January's series had thousands after the first three days.

arista 25-06-2015 12:52 PM

No Helen has said Sorry

Feck Ofcom

Visage 25-06-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 7927331)
We are warned before each programme that offensive language, aggressive behaviour and sexual content will be evident during the programme.

No one is allowed to get hurt in BB and really all is covered in that opening statement.
With that warning in place at the start of every highlights,then the people who complain to ofcom should never watch it in the first place.

Ofcom should just say and treat it as rival fans complaining about a particular housemate and unless there is actual physical violence against a housemate by another, then no complaints will be acted upon as there is a valid and detailed warning at the start of every programme.

Excellent points Joey.

abhorson 25-06-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsay (Post 7927327)
People who complain :bored:

They are mainly the same people complaining last week in London, Glasgow, Manchester. Serial complainers:laugh:

bitontheslide 25-06-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 7927331)

If the show doesn't conform with broadcasting standards, it doesn't matter what warning they put at the beginning of each episode, they will still have broken the guidelines.

Whether any guideline has been broken, that's up to ofcom to decide. It does no harm for these thing to be examined and questioned.

Liam- 25-06-2015 12:56 PM

People who take time out of their day to complain about a tv show, which they could easily switch off and never watch again, are ridiculous.

Kizzy 25-06-2015 12:57 PM

What a joke...It's 2 adults having a tiff get over it!!!

Jason. 25-06-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 7927354)
People who take time out of their day to complain about a tv show, which they could easily switch off and never watch again, are ridiculous.

Especially a show that's only watched by like 800k.

chuff me dizzy 25-06-2015 01:02 PM

There have been lots about Bots bias too,but no one bothers to mention those :bored: Take a look on the Bots Facebook, you will see this place does not reflect the publics view

Suze 25-06-2015 01:04 PM

Why complain? Why not just turn off and ignore. Never understand the complaints over many a trivial thing when there are things going on in the world that are way more important than a TV show.

Let Brian and Helen sort their own battles, jeez, give me strength.

Kazanne 25-06-2015 01:04 PM

People making mountains out of molehills again,with nothing better to do than moan and complain.

MB. 25-06-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB6 (Post 7927358)
Especially a show that's only watched by like 800k.

...what, Big Brother? No it isn't.

fitz2k2 25-06-2015 01:10 PM

your wasting your breathe people

uniquedude 25-06-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 7927288)
Why the **** do people complain to ofcom? All its doing is making it more and more likely that BB will be taken off air, or incidents will be hidden from us :shrug: Would we prefer big arguments and such weren't shown as they may offend a few delicate flowers? Ofcom cannot remove housemates from the house..infact I am sure it takes a while for them to actually investigate complaints so BB will probably be finished by the time they get round to it, so its all so pointless.

Wasn't the whole Jade Goody incident enough....

ItWasJustBanter 25-06-2015 01:12 PM

Wouldn't be at all surprising if most people complained having read it in the paper rather than watching it

rubymoo 25-06-2015 01:13 PM

It's easy, get Helen off our screens then nobody complains!

Tom4784 25-06-2015 01:14 PM

Throw the bullying beast out, I can't believe anyone can actually defend it's actions.