ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Did the GE kill Serious Debates and News? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284145)

Toy Soldier 07-07-2015 08:50 AM

Did the GE kill Serious Debates and News?

I used to love this section, it was awesome, I could literally come on at any time and there was something to discuss... varied, vibrant threads always available to have a ponder over.

Then in the run up to and immediate aftermath of the GE it all got ****ing horrible.

And now it's completely and utterly dead?

It makes me sad. Discuss. And stop making me sad.

joeysteele 07-07-2015 08:57 AM

Wait until the budget and once Parliament starts on the voting for some very controversial legislation.
I have enjoyed a bit of a break,after really being mentally and physically exhausted by the general election campaign myself.

Once a new Labour leader is in place that should help wake up that side of serious debates.

Still however a lot going on as to other things in the World than our politics,I for one will be back in there once BB is ended.

MTVN 07-07-2015 09:03 AM

It's definitely died down a lot since then, not surprising in an elections aftermath I suppose but I thought it was mainly because people were spending most their time in the BB section. Also the news is pretty heavily dominated by Greece atm which for something so important can become very tedious to follow. I think that once BB ends and a couple of controversial topics arise that start being debated then the section will explode into a life a bit more

Toy Soldier 07-07-2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 7973614)
Wait until the budget and once Parliament starts on the voting for some very controversial legislation.
I have enjoyed a bit of a break,after really being mentally and physically exhausted by the general election campaign myself.

Once a new Labour leader is in place that should help wake up that side of serious debates.

Still however a lot going on as to other things in the World than our politics,I for one will be back in there once BB is ended.

That's the thing though, before the GE got into full swing, it wasn't all domestic politics... or was it? Am I remebering things differently? :shrug:

Since around March it feels like every thread has been UK politics and ISIS. Endless ISIS.

It's not s'much fun.

Toy Soldier 07-07-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 7973623)
It's definitely died down a lot since then, not surprising in an elections aftermath I suppose but I thought it was mainly because people were spending most their time in the BB section. Also the news is pretty heavily dominated by Greece atm which for something so important can become very tedious to follow. I think that once BB ends and a couple of controversial topics arise that start being debated then the section will explode into a life a bit more

Maybe that's it - the "debates" part has gone and it's become just "News". I mean, there are debates, but they're just about News. And seem to inevitably decend into farce with WW3 and robots.

And news is boring!

Northern Monkey 07-07-2015 09:26 AM

God damn politicians and terrorists spoiling SDnN!

Toy Soldier 07-07-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Monkey (Post 7973666)
God damn politicians and terrorists spoiling SDnN!

Exactly!

arista 07-07-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 7973600)
I used to love this section, it was awesome, I could literally come on at any time and there was something to discuss... varied, vibrant threads always available to have a ponder over.

Then in the run up to and immediate aftermath of the GE it all got ****ing horrible.

And now it's completely and utterly dead?

It makes me sad. Discuss. And stop making me sad.

TS thats your own Hang Up

Toy Soldier 07-07-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 7973783)
TS thats your own Hang Up

It's not really, fewer people are posting and the ones who are posting are posting less. I'm not imagining it!

Vicky. 07-07-2015 10:47 AM

All we get in the news these days is 'ISIS kills more people' . Greece stuff. And 'Torys playing reverse Robin Hood'

So not much to discuss

LeatherTrumpet 07-07-2015 10:49 AM

I heard god died so perhaps that had killed the religion threads :shrug:

Kizzy 07-07-2015 10:50 AM

That reminds me where is kirk?

LeatherTrumpet 07-07-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7973821)

I am sure he will be back

Mystic Mock 07-07-2015 11:00 AM

After doing the evil deed of voting David Cameron into office to attack the working class, NHS, and the disabled for another 5 years, I think these people are trying to forgive themselves for their mistake.

smudgie 07-07-2015 11:04 AM

Probably jump back to life off season.
I hope so, I love reading all the debates, more than taking part really.

bitontheslide 07-07-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 7973837)
After doing the evil deed of voting David Cameron into office to attack the working class, NHS, and the disabled for another 5 years, I think these people are trying to forgive themselves for their mistake.

nice try, still here and active :cheer2:

Alf 07-07-2015 11:28 AM

You can't have serious debates without free speech, and we don't have that freedom anymore.

Livia 07-07-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 7973837)

And it's entirely that attitude that made it a bloody chore for me to post in Serious Debates and had an impact in killing Serious Debates for me. There was no reasoned debate, there was the left wing and there were the "baddies" and the "out of touch".

As for there being a lot of ISIS threads... well, that's because it's major news and therefore understandable, surely.

Livia 07-07-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7973822)
I am sure he will be back

I hope he will, I really do.

LeatherTrumpet 07-07-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 7974014)
I hope he will, I really do.

I hope he is ok?:conf:

Livia 07-07-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7974016)
I hope he is ok?:conf:

Me too. It's understandable sometimes when people want to take a break from here. I hope it's just that. I've PMed him... I think he drops in from time to time.

Northern Monkey 07-07-2015 12:41 PM

I don't post much in here now because Big Brother and only so much time and patience to read and post.I usually take a break during off season but SDnN has kept me active in between shows.

Toy Soldier 07-07-2015 02:58 PM

Kirk was actually a ukip propaganda bot designed by Farage. They took him offline after the election but will probably reboot him in the run up to the euro referendum.

Old, but not obsolete.

JoshBB 07-07-2015 03:01 PM

I don't like posting here much anymore because i'm always called "loony left" and my posts are met with ridicule. No point in debating if nobody will listen to you..

Marsh. 07-07-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7973821)

If you've drove him away I'll never forgive you. :suspect: