ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam Horrible Spam, Horrible Spam (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2843)

Sticks 12-03-2003 09:07 PM

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam Horrible Spam, Horrible Spam

Does anyone else get several times a day

Invitations to MLM's
Adverts for certain bodypart enhancements
Adverts for obscene Adult material :shocked:
Begging letters from relatives of dead dictators wanting to move money abroad
Adverts for printing supplies

Or is it me :blush:

I am reminded of that famous Monty Python sketch. :mad:

Janette 12-03-2003 09:14 PM

I get around 20 emails a day that can only be described as unwanted!

But there's nothing I can do about it, I just delete them. On MSN I have been using the block sender thing but in a month I have filled it! That is 250 email addresses i've blocked!!!!!!

:nono:

Mairi 12-03-2003 09:22 PM

I don't get many spams on my home computer, thank goodness.

At work, however, I get loads of exactly the type you mentioned, Sticks. Last Monday, alone, there were almost 80!

:nono::nono::nono:

LEE 12-03-2003 09:44 PM

Lucky you Miriam. I don't get any to either of my main email addresses, but I get loads of this sort of rubbish every day to my hotmail account.

It goes straight in the bin and it is very annoying.

:hugesmile:

steve_o 12-03-2003 10:35 PM

I too get loads of the rubbish, blocked it, but still get it.:conf::mad:

:thumbs:

blinkinlovely 13-03-2003 05:49 AM

I get loads of this stuff to Sticks and it's too annoying for words.:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling :
Some people have told me that it's an aol thing. some of the titles of the Spam are just disgusting and no blocks seem to work.:mad:

Kaz 13-03-2003 08:45 AM

I get a few spam messages on Hotmail, but perhaps only a couple per day.

It's no great hassle just to delete them. I haven't used the blocker yet, mainly because I haven't worked out how to! :blush:

Maggie 13-03-2003 11:42 AM

I get loads every day too, I used to go in every day and delete them, but I don't bother any more they get deleted every 7 days by hotmail :mad: :nono: :mad: hate them

BusyBee 13-03-2003 02:20 PM

Hotmail seems to be the recipient of the biggest load of unwanted e-mails. Even though I have blocked loads, they still flood in - its a real pain, because you have to go through the list to actually find anything you want to one. Anyone any ideas how to stop the rubbish.

BigSister 13-03-2003 03:14 PM

I always get it

Its annoying:nono:

Romantic Old Bird 13-03-2003 05:20 PM

I GET THESE GREY SQUARES PINGING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF MY SCREEN UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME.

EVEN I AM TOO YOUNG FOR THEIR SUBJECT MATERIAL, AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.:blush:

They are b****y horrible. Anyway, I am about to use in desperation my recovery disc, which means I will lose everything on here.

Hopefully all will then be sorted and I won't have any problems re-establishing contact.

Goodness knows what they are, because I have emptied all cookies and have no recognisable viruses

Fingers crossed anyway.

cc100 13-03-2003 05:43 PM

ive used this to block spam:
EMAIL SCRAMBLER

Hey, I didn't sign up for that mailing list!Is that what you're thinking?? Wondering HOW that spammer found your email? It's easy. They harvest it.Want to find out how to STOP them? For more info visit go to the supplied link and click on EMAIL SCRAMBLER at the top
http://www.paidresponse.com/cgi-bin/a.pl?pr&8912

keeps everything away:xyxwave:

Boris 13-03-2003 07:25 PM

I used to get 20 - 30 every time I logged on. ( Hotmail) All the horrid sort. I changed my email address to a less obvious one and it stoped temporarily . I have now started to get more but so far not as many as before.

I wish it was totally blockable.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

cc100 14-03-2003 04:27 PM

sorry, above i said email scrambler.... it should be spam killer.

steve_o 14-03-2003 10:40 PM

I hate it, along with pop ups.:mad:

Princess Pink Pants 15-03-2003 04:36 PM

I dont get many, just ones about mortgages and penis enlargements!

I dont have a mortgage or a penis, leave me alone!!!!!!

steve_o 15-03-2003 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Princess Pink Pants

Quote:

I dont get many, just ones about mortgages and penis enlargements!
Oh:shocked:so women get those enlargement ones as well.:laugh:I thought it was just me.:thumbs::spin2:

:spin:

Sticks 15-03-2003 05:57 PM

What I do, especially with Nigerian 419 Advance Fee Frauds, is the following

[list=1][*]When looking at the E-mail in Outlook Express I do File - Properties[*]Click on the Details tab to get the header details.[*]Highlight this and Copy. (Then close the Properties box)[*]Click on Forward and paste in the header details to the new e-mail[*]Looking at the e-mail address of the spammer establish which ISP it is from (e.g Hotmail, Yahoo etc.) This is usually the bit after the @[*]Put in the To field abuse@base isp address e.g. abuse@hotmail.com[*]Send and then delete the original spam[*]If this works, and the senders e-mail address is not a spoofed e-mail address, the ISP will terminate their account[/list=1]

Unfortunately some of them know how to spoof their e-mail address
:mad:

steve_o 15-03-2003 06:53 PM

Thanks Sticks, but I get so many I'd be sending so many of them. I'd be doing that all night and not reading what's going on in here.:thumbs: I just block them but that's just a waste of time as well.:conf:It's the ISP's fault, I reckon they must be making money out of it somewhere.:conf:

James 24-03-2003 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Romantic Old Bird
I GET THESE GREY SQUARES PINGING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF MY SCREEN UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME.

EVEN I AM TOO YOUNG FOR THEIR SUBJECT MATERIAL, AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.:blush:

They are b****y horrible. Anyway, I am about to use in desperation my recovery disc, which means I will lose everything on here.

Hopefully all will then be sorted and I won't have any problems re-establishing contact.

Goodness knows what they are, because I have emptied all cookies and have no recognisable viruses

Fingers crossed anyway.
Here the solution for stopping the grey 'Messenger Service' pop-ups (it's nothing to do with MSN Messenger btw).

http://www.stopmessengerspam.com/
Click on the relevant description of your computer on the right of the screen there.

If you know about these things, the other way to stop them is install a firewall like Norton and block ports 135, 137-139, and 445.

:hugesmile:

Janette 25-03-2003 07:19 AM

Thanks James, i've just done that :thumbs:

Those grey messenger screens have been really annoying me, i thought it was something to do with MSN though!

:thumbs:

Romantic Old Bird 25-03-2003 10:28 AM

Thanks James. You are an absolute treasure :love::love::love:

BusyBee 25-03-2003 03:28 PM

Thanks James - works wonders.

James 12-04-2003 07:26 PM

Quote:

Download Your Anti-Spam Software Here!

Spam Remedy 

3 Benefits To Blocking Spam for GOOD

1 - Spam Remedy checks your email boxes and filters unwanted, dangerous, or offensive email messages.
2 - Spam Remedy helps you save time & get ONLY the emails you want!
3 - Spam Remedy automatically cleans spam messages out before you even receive or read them. Get Yours Today!

The Hands-Down
Most Powerful, Effective & Intelligent
Anti-Spam Tool!

Download Your Anti-Spam Software Here!
I am now getting spam advertising anti-spam software!

:shocked: :laugh: :shocked:

LEE 12-04-2003 07:28 PM

LOL James :laugh: