ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   BB16 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=663)
-   -   Joel Had a cancer scare in the house. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286514)

zakman440 17-08-2015 07:05 PM

Had a cancer scare in the house.

Quote:

Big Brother 2015: Timebomb runner-up Joel Williams briefly left the show’s house for an operation just days before the final amid a cancer scare, it’s been revealed.

The Welshman told The Sun newspaper that bosses arranged for him to see a dermatologist after discovering a number of moles on his back, which doctors feared were potentially cancerous.

He underwent surgery to have the growths removed before returning to the show’s compound at Elstree Studios, Hertfordshire – and was eventually given the all-clear after a tense four-day wait.

“As soon as the word cancer was mentioned, my heart sank,” Joel commented. “I’d encourage everyone to be vigilant in checking moles or suspicious blemishes.”

Writing on his Twitter page @JoelTory this afternoon, the budding politician added: “All I can say is if in doubt go see your GP!!”

Joel eventually took second place in his series, beating sixteen other housemates – but lost the winner’s title and £116,100 prize fund to rival Chloe Wilburn.

http://www.bbspy.co.uk/bb16/news/081...#ixzz3j6IjXoFi
Poor Joel! That must've been horrible for him :(.

Rob! 17-08-2015 07:09 PM

I went through something similar to that recently - the fear is like nothing else.

Liam- 17-08-2015 07:10 PM

Jesus :worry:

Pete. 17-08-2015 07:12 PM

Poor Joel!

They really need to be transparent about what happens medically which causes people to leave the house. The level of honesty that was present in BB6 has completely been shattered now

MB. 17-08-2015 07:13 PM

Horrible :(

Jay. 17-08-2015 07:18 PM

omg bless him :worry:

Ashley. 17-08-2015 07:37 PM

Quite disgusting that they didn't show this tbh. Cancer is an important subject.

Ross. 17-08-2015 07:37 PM

omg :worry:

Mokka 17-08-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petemitch (Post 8067372)
Poor Joel!

They really need to be transparent about what happens medically which causes people to leave the house. The level of honesty that was present in BB6 has completely been shattered now

The sympathy would have swayed the voting and made him the winner... keeping it quite was the right choice

Jarrod 17-08-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshRley (Post 8067423)
Quite disgusting that they didn't show this tbh. Cancer is an important subject.

It's not disgusting. I contacted the press office about Joel leaving the House and they told me they wouldn't be commenting on the subject. Maybe it was Joel that didn't want it broadcast for a certain reason and would rather have told people on his own terms - as he did.

Will. 17-08-2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshRley (Post 8067423)

The show was depressing enough.

RichardG 17-08-2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod (Post 8067442)
It's not disgusting. I contacted the press office about Joel leaving the House and they told me they wouldn't be commenting on the subject. Maybe it was Joel that didn't want it broadcast for a certain reason and would rather have told people on his own terms - as he did.

Yeah if I was going through something like that in the house I don't think I'd want it broadcast either, I wouldn't be interested in having that kind of dramatic cancer scare sympathy storyline. It's not disgusting at all that it wasn't shown?? I think something this personal should rightfully so be kept private unless Joel said otherwise tbh.

Firewire 17-08-2015 08:02 PM

We still should've been told that he was absent from the house for a few hours, they don't need to go into details.

I'm glad he's okay though.

Mystic Mock 17-08-2015 08:11 PM

Well at least his got the all clear.

Ashley. 17-08-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod (Post 8067442)

"Joel has left the house for health reasons" would have been substantial enough. The fact that they ignored it all together was a bit strange. Let me have my opinions please.

Also, if Joel didn't want the public knowing, then why is he making a news article out of it? :laugh:

Marsh. 17-08-2015 10:25 PM

RIP house

Ant. 17-08-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshRley (Post 8067922)
"Joel has left the house for health reasons" would have been substantial enough. The fact that they ignored it all together was a bit strange. Let me have my opinions please.

Also, if Joel didn't want the public knowing, then why is he making a news article out of it? :laugh:

He probably wasn't ready to tell the story while in the house

Jarrod 17-08-2015 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshRley (Post 8067922)

Your opinion is there, I'm not stopping you having one. I'm entitled to my opinion and to debate the topic. The show was under no obligation to tell the public what happened to Joel. It was his personal problem. Just because he's on Big Brother doesn't mean we have to know everything. Joel leaving the house had no effect at all on what happened during the highlights or tasks, so I don't see the need to tell everyone what happened. If Joel has left for a trivial reason then fair enough but this was a private medical condition.

Also, he didn't make an article. He tweeted and an article was made by someone else.

Marsh. 17-08-2015 11:56 PM

Yeah, the housemates have always been able to sit with psychologists and doctors and producers without us seeing/knowing anything about it.

Ashley. 18-08-2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 8068241)
Yeah, the housemates have always been able to sit with psychologists and doctors and producers without us seeing/knowing anything about it.

That's not entirely true. Marcus used to say "so and so is in the Diary Room with the psychologist". Stuff like that keeps it real. If they said he had to leave the house for health reasons then there's nothing harmless or invading about it, it just lets us know where he is. That's how it used to be; we used to know where all the housemates were during specific times of the day.

Marsh. 18-08-2015 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshRley (Post 8068318)
That's not entirely true. Marcus used to say "so and so is in the Diary Room with the psychologist".

No, he didn't.

They could go in the diary room and see and speak to a physical person on many, many occasions that were not documented in the highlights.

Ashley. 18-08-2015 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 8068319)
No, he didn't.

They could go in the diary room and see and speak to a physical person on many, many occasions that were not documented in the highlights.

I've been rewatching past series for the past two months. I've heard him say that on many occasions :laugh:

Loukas 18-08-2015 01:40 AM

I can only imagine how scary that would have been, i'm glad he's alright and has been open enough to talk about as it's a subject that should be taken seriously. I can see why they didn't mention it, it could have changed his odds (for the better) as viewers would have given him sympathy? Say that though, the producers manipulate the show already.

Jarrod 18-08-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshRley (Post 8068325)
I've been rewatching past series for the past two months. I've heard him say that on many occasions :laugh:

Can I ask for a link to an example? I haven't heard Marcus ever say that's. They don't see them in the DR, they get taken somewhere private without a camera.

Ashley. 18-08-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod (Post 8068535)
Can I ask for a link to an example? I haven't heard Marcus ever say that's. They don't see them in the DR, they get taken somewhere private without a camera.

I don't know the exact days. The most recent occasion is with Derek. He was upset, so Big Brother told him that they will arrange him to meet a psychologist. After the break, he said "Derek is talking with the psychologist, everyone else is in the living room"