ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Rare Photo of Billy the Kid bought at a car boot sale for $2 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290312)

Niamh. 14-10-2015 09:31 AM

Rare Photo of Billy the Kid bought at a car boot sale for $2

...........is worth $5million. How sick would you be if you were the person who sold it? :worry:

FRESNO, Calif. -- A collector bought a photo at a junk shop in Fresno, California, for $2. Turns out, the guy on the left of the photo is the infamous outlaw, Billy the Kid, playing croquet.

Photos of Billy are extremely rare-- experts say this one could be worth $5 million.

The showdown between frontier lawman Pat Garrett and notorious outlaw Billy the Kid has fascinated the American public for nearly 130 years with its classic Old West storyline.

http://cbsnews2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i...9-09-28-pm.png

Garrett shot down Billy the Kid -- aka William Bonney -- on July 14, 1881. Garrett tracked him after the outlaw escaped from the Lincoln County, N.M. jail in a famous gun battle that left two deputies dead.

The Kid's status as an Old West folk hero grew as countless books, films and songs were written about the gunslinger and his exploits. According to legend, he killed 21 people, one for each year of his life, but the New Mexico Tourism Department puts the total closer to nine.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rare-pho...-kid-surfaces/

arista 14-10-2015 09:35 AM

They were the days

kirklancaster 14-10-2015 10:33 AM

Fascinating. There is though, a controversial claim that far from hunting Billy down and killing him, his 'ex'- friend Garrett actually let Billy go and another shot-up unidentifiable corpse was taken back by Garrett as Billy. The theory goes that Billy lived to a ripe old age of 91.

Josy 14-10-2015 10:46 AM

My god, you would be gutted if you had sold it for $2

I haven't read the entire article (just the part in the OP) how did they identify him in that pic?

Niamh. 14-10-2015 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josy (Post 8221801)
My god, you would be gutted if you had sold it for $2

I haven't read the entire article (just the part in the OP) how did they identify him in that pic?

I'd say I'd be throwing myself off a bridge if it were me :worry:

There's a video in the link and they can zoom right in to the picture so they must have been able to identify him

Kizzy 14-10-2015 10:50 AM

Who cares... if there was a pic of any other murderer would it be looked on as such a treasure? I may start a collection of photos of random killers just in case.

Josy 14-10-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8221806)
I'd say I'd be throwing myself off a bridge if it were me :worry:

There's a video in the link and they can zoom right in to the picture so they must have been able to identify him

Oh right, I'll take a look

Niamh. 14-10-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8221807)
Who cares... if there was a pic of any other murderer would it be looked on as such a treasure? I may start a collection of photos of random killers just in case.

Only because photos from back then are so rare I guess, all the modern day criminals have mountains of pictures available

bitontheslide 14-10-2015 10:55 AM

Its pretty similar to the antique road show stories, picked up a vase for 10 pence and its valued at whatever .... happens all the time. We should all be hoarders and never dump or sell anything :laugh:

Ammi 14-10-2015 10:59 AM

...that's pretty cool, I'll read the article..I wonder if the person who bought it had an idea of it's value at the time.../I love stuff like that...old children's pop-up books are my particular thing...

Ammi 14-10-2015 11:01 AM

...wow, it's so clear when they zoomed in but still, how would they authenticate it and know it's him...it still could be anyone though...

LeatherTrumpet 14-10-2015 11:04 AM

is that Kirk on the horse?

:think:

Niamh. 14-10-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8221836)
is that Kirk on the horse?

:think:

:laugh:

I was thinking you would be interested in this story LT, that's your sort of work isn't it?

Kizzy 14-10-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8221810)
Only because photos from back then are so rare I guess, all the modern day criminals have mountains of pictures available

There were many notaries from that era who provided a positive legacy why are their images not worth as much if not more? It's due to his infamy his murderous acts, I see no reason for the hype.

Niamh. 14-10-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8221843)
There were many notaries from that era who provided a positive legacy why are their images not worth as much if not more? It's due to his infamy his murderous acts, I see no reason for the hype.

Well yeah but that's just the way of the world really isn't it?

Iceman 14-10-2015 11:10 AM

Such a great picture. So much history in it. I'd be kicking myself if I sold it at that price

Ammi 14-10-2015 11:16 AM

..if it was me that bought it, I would want to go back and talk to the people who sold it to find out if there was history connected there as well../their ancestry...

arista 14-10-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eoin (Post 8221853)
Such a great picture. So much history in it. I'd be kicking myself if I sold it at that price

I have seen the Same thing in a Record Fair
a Bloke sold me a Brand New 2001 Official
DTS 5.1 Audio Mix Paul McCartney
"band on the run"
for £2

On amazon it was £80 as its rare

But that seller had loads of DTS disc's
not knowing they are Rare
and going up in value every week

Ammi 14-10-2015 11:27 AM

"Simple resemblance is not enough in a case like this - a team of experts had to be assembled to address each and every detail in the photo to ensure that nothing was out of place.

"After more than a year of methodical study including my own inspection of the site, there is now overwhelming evidence of the image's authenticity."

The only other known photograph of the Kid was a portrait taken in Fort Sumner, New Mexico, in 1880.

That tintype image sold for $2.3m (£1.5m) in 2010.

The discovery will be the subject of a two-hour documentary on the National Geographic Channel, which will air on 18 October

..that's Sunday I think so I'll try to remember to watch it...

Cherie 14-10-2015 11:37 AM

Either someone has absolute proof this is him or its a very elaborate scam, either way the seller must be gutted. I do throw a lot of stuff out which probably in years to come will be valuable :worry:

arista 14-10-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8221876)
Either someone has absolute proof this is him or its a very elaborate scam, either way the seller must be gutted. I do throw a lot of stuff out which probably in years to come will be valuable :worry:

Yes Easy to Trick the Irish

Marsh. 14-10-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8221843)

2 dollars is hardly a lot.

Kizzy 14-10-2015 11:44 AM

:umm2: I meant the price tag of millions for the pic of a murderer obv marsh.

Marsh. 14-10-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8221876)

Your poor husband.

Niamh. 14-10-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 8221881)
Yes Easy to Trick the Irish

This is a story from California :umm2: What the hell are you on about Arista