ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Nigel Farage calls for 'mass protest' over new alcohol guidelines (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294779)

JoshBB 08-01-2016 04:28 PM

Nigel Farage calls for 'mass protest' over new alcohol guidelines

(and shockingly doesn't blame the EU or immigration for once!!! :laugh:)

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl..._campaign=i100

I don't exactly understand what he wants to protest here.. this is a government guideline, to be taken simply as advice. You can take it or leave it. It's not a new law and you won't be punished for choosing to continue your usual drinking habits.

It's health advice for gods sake, they aren't making it up..

MB. 08-01-2016 04:34 PM

If he wants to drink himself to death then nobody's stopping him

LeatherTrumpet 08-01-2016 04:44 PM

how come each country has a diff level?

its a load of old bollocks

LeatherTrumpet 08-01-2016 04:46 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recomm...olic_beverages

MB. 08-01-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8402880)
how come each country has a diff level?

its a load of old bollocks

Because different countries drink different amounts/have different levels of health care/give different levels of ****s about their people's kidneys

..it's almost as if Europe needs an international way of regulating laws...

Livia 08-01-2016 05:07 PM

I'd have thought he'd have bigger fish to fry.

bitontheslide 08-01-2016 05:24 PM

its only a friggin guideline, how much notice did people pay to it previously. People will continue to drink as they want, its not like the driving limit has changed .... yet

Kizzy 08-01-2016 05:30 PM

Oh for gods sake! Is that all this cretin is bothered about? Of all the problems facing people in the UK, having no bed, food, electric, job.. the last thing on the minds of most is what dave thinks is an acceptable alcohol intake :/

Vicky. 08-01-2016 05:50 PM

Its only guidelines anyway,. hes perfectly free to ignore them like most people do :p

LeatherTrumpet 08-01-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 8402947)
Because different countries drink different amounts/have different levels of health care/give different levels of ****s about their people's kidneys

..it's almost as if Europe needs an international way of regulating laws...

everyone drinks different amounts

a man in spain is the same as a man in the UK

the amounts should be the same?

LeatherTrumpet 08-01-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8403075)
Oh for gods sake! Is that all this cretin is bothered about? Of all the problems facing people in the UK, having no bed, food, electric, job.. the last thing on the minds of most is what dave thinks is an acceptable alcohol intake :/

no Kizzy he was naturally asked about it and gave a honest opinion

one that most agree with

MB. 08-01-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8403195)
everyone drinks different amounts

a man in spain is the same as a man in the UK

the amounts should be the same?

But there's no point in proposing a limit of x pints a week for, say, Kuwait is there

LeatherTrumpet 08-01-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 8403204)
But there's no point in proposing a limit of x pints a week for, say, Kuwait is there

yes, a man in kuwait has the same liver and body as a man in Orkney

it makes no difference

its the same as smoking surely?

MB. 08-01-2016 06:21 PM

If it's the same as smoking then I don't see why anyone feels it needs to be protested

bitontheslide 08-01-2016 06:23 PM

its a health guideline, like not having more than 2 eggs a day or whatever. Its an amount calculated based on a 1% chance of dying from taking that amount.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to protest about it as its meant to inform people on how to live healthily, nothing more. Farage has clearly lost the plot.

Lostie! 08-01-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 8403213)
its a health guideline, like not having more than 2 eggs a day or whatever. Its an amount calculated based on a 1% chance of dying from taking that amount.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to protest about it as its meant to inform people on how to live healthily, nothing more. Farage has clearly lost the plot.

If he had one to begin with. :laugh:

LeatherTrumpet 08-01-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 8403211)
If it's the same as smoking then I don't see why anyone feels it needs to be protested

well its not the same but you take my point that health guidelines are not border specific

LeatherTrumpet 08-01-2016 06:24 PM

:worry: i am going to exceed my weekly limit tonight

MB. 08-01-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 8403214)
If he had one to begin with. :laugh:

He couldn't have less of a plot if he were written by Steven Moffat

MTVN 08-01-2016 11:05 PM

Farage is spot on, enough of the do gooders arguing for these stupid limits trying to make the majority of the population feel guilty about their drink intake. It's as bad as the calls for the lower drink driving limit or the self-righteous dry January plebs who are killing an industry that is very important to this country.

MB. 08-01-2016 11:06 PM

Yeah, bloody health professionals, doing their jobs :fist:

Vicky. 08-01-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 8405570)
Farage is spot on, enough of the do gooders arguing for these stupid limits trying to make the majority of the population feel guilty about their drink intake. It's as bad as the calls for the lower drink driving limit or the self-righteous dry January plebs who are killing an industry that is very important to this country.

Not sure if serious?

There should be a 0 limit for driving, IMO. I don't think this makes me self-righteous :umm2:

MTVN 08-01-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 8405593)
Not sure if serious?

There should be a 0 limit for driving, IMO. I don't think this makes me self-righteous :umm2:

Very serious Vicky: in Scotland you're basically over the limit if you have one pint and that is bloody ridiculous. A pub near me wrote an open letter to the PM about it:

Quote:

The landlord of Britain’s best pub has written an open letter to David Cameron asking him to reject calls for a lower drink drive limit in England and Wales, claiming that the policy would drive his business into the ground and damage the rural economy.

Peter Tiley, who runs The Salutation Inn in Gloucestershire, said he was “not sure my pub will survive” if the legal limit was reduced to less than one pint of beer, arguing that stricter rules could prove to be the final nail in the coffin for the country’s “already beleaguered rural communities”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6794486.html
And this is quite right. The idea that a pint or two at most will harm your driving to that extent is stupid and the vast majority of those who cause accidents are the idiots who drink about 6 pints and would do so whatever the legal limit was

Vicky. 08-01-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 8405620)
Very serious Vicky: in Scotland you're basically over the limit if you have one pint and that is bloody ridiculous. A pub near me wrote an open letter to the PM about it:

And this is quite right. The idea that a pint or two at most will harm your driving to that extent is stupid and the vast majority of those who cause accidents are the idiots who drink about 6 pints and would do so whatever the legal limit was

A pint would very much affect my ability to drive. Maybe not a blokes. But 2 or 3 pints completely screws me :laugh:

Why do people feel the need to drink ANYTHING when they are driving anyway? And how will this drive the pub business into the ground..smoking ban already did that, nothing else will hit them anywhere near as bad as that did :bored:

MTVN 08-01-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 8405630)
A pint would very much affect my ability to drive. Maybe not a blokes. But 2 or 3 pints completely screws me :laugh:

Why do people feel the need to drink ANYTHING when they are driving anyway? And how will this drive the pub business into the ground..smoking ban already did that, nothing else will hit them anywhere near as bad as that did :bored:

Because it is sociable, and if its a rural pub (and that pub the Salutation is literally in the middle of nowhere - it's not even a village where its based, its a hamlet) then that means you're probably going to have to drive and no one is going to visit a pub to sip half a pint of coke.