ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   By 2022 all UK schools will be Academies (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299153)

arista 15-03-2016 04:54 PM

By 2022 all UK schools will be Academies

Academies

This is in tomorrows Budget
reported today on Radio5
Now the next Election is may 2020
and I do not like this plan.
As thats 2 years after the next Election

We need a new rule only do a plan
with the 5 year term Date
from now on.

Joey is that better?

Kizzy 15-03-2016 07:09 PM

All schools will be sponsored by Mc Donalds, no GCSEs other than burger flipping.

Will. 15-03-2016 07:10 PM

What's an academy?

joeysteele 15-03-2016 08:56 PM

Need to hear more on this really but initially I don't like the idea at all.

Marsh. 15-03-2016 08:59 PM

This is absolutely awful.

DemolitionRed 15-03-2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will. (Post 8562572)
What's an academy?

Its a private for profits school that will be presently subsidised by the government but just like every other thing that is privatized, they cut back on staff to ensure the profit margins are good.

Kizzy 15-03-2016 10:00 PM

Feel sorry for anyone doing a teaching degree, I hear they've delivered whiteboard markers to the monkey house at London zoo...

Firewire 15-03-2016 10:33 PM

Not all Academies are private, at least in Scotland anyway.

Firewire 15-03-2016 10:34 PM

But it's a stupid thing to waste money on

arista 15-03-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 8562779)
Need to hear more on this really but initially I don't like the idea at all.

They must not go over their bloody
5 year term
Next Election is 2020 May

To say by 2022 is wrong.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Budget-...ail/story.html

http://news.sky.com/story/1660531/ed...sbornes-budget

arista 16-03-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

What's an academy?

No more Going home at 3:30PM
for you.

To be announced today in the budget

Ammi 16-03-2016 05:25 AM

Quote:

What's an academy?

..they're like most other things really Will, there are some great academy schools out there and some not so great ones, much the same as state schools...I think that it's inevitable that it'll go this way/to mainly academy schools in the future, simply because 'raising the standards' in schools can only be done if there is the funding there for it to be a possibility...it doesn't have to be a negative though because as there are more and more academy schools, the standards are being raised in them all of the time...

Kizzy 16-03-2016 07:33 AM

Thing is under performing state schools, like hospitals are put on 'special measures' (mainly inner city schools)their funding is reduced (further exacerbating problems) and then they're threatened with closure.
They are regulated into submission, yet as seen recently with the ' Trojan horse' scandal, some schools turned academy are dangerously under regulated.

Ammi 16-03-2016 07:42 AM

..the funding in all schools is being reduced and quite substantially, it's obviously going to make it impossible for those under-achieving already especially if they haven't been able to carry anything forward in their striving to raise standards...at least academy run schools may make it possible to have bigger budgets and may mean the funding that is needed becoming possible../we'll see, some academies are really working well, it's about having the right team/people in place....

Kizzy 16-03-2016 08:00 AM

And for those which don't have the right teams in place, where is the accountability?

Ammi 16-03-2016 08:10 AM

..there will still be accountability, there is always accountability..anyways, as I say..I'm going to watch with interest because many are working for the children and raising those standards which were much needed to be raised in a way that state funding wasn't doing...we are a good school with some outstanding features and yet still struggling on an ever decreasing budget so academies may be the way of the future, I'm optimistic....

Cherie 16-03-2016 08:28 AM

I'm not sure about this, if teachers are unsettled and leaving the profession now how will this help?

Will. 16-03-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 8562927)
No more Going home at 3:30PM
for you.

oh

To be announced today in the budget

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 8562853)
Its a private for profits school that will be presently subsidised by the government but just like every other thing that is privatized, they cut back on staff to ensure the profit margins are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 8562973)
..they're like most other things really Will, there are some great academy schools out there and some not so great ones, much the same as state schools...I think that it's inevitable that it'll go this way/to mainly academy schools in the future, simply because 'raising the standards' in schools can only be done if there is the funding there for it to be a possibility...it doesn't have to be a negative though because as there are more and more academy schools, the standards are being raised in them all of the time...

Ah ok, thank you both :)

Will. 16-03-2016 08:31 AM

My secondary school is called a "college" and we have to do extra activities after school until 4:30PM, sounds like some of the changes are what my school does.

Cherie 16-03-2016 08:34 AM

What if the Tories are turfed out in 2020 and the new government changes policy :idc:

Cherie 16-03-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will. (Post 8563058)
My secondary school is called a "college" and we have to do extra activities after school until 4:30PM, sounds like some of the changes are what my school does.

What is the age range Will, usually Colleges are for 16 plus?

DemolitionRed 16-03-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8563018)
Thing is under performing state schools, like hospitals are put on 'special measures' (mainly inner city schools)their funding is reduced (further exacerbating problems) and then they're threatened with closure.
They are regulated into submission, yet as seen recently with the ' Trojan horse' scandal, some schools turned academy are dangerously under regulated.

Yes of course they are because this new academy nonsense is just another wolf in sheep’s clothing. Academias don't empower local communities and nor do they improve standards for all. It’s a corporate experiment that risks the vital years of our children’s education.

There is no requirement for staff or parents to be consulted and so once again, the public and the workers never got a say in yet ANOTHER privatization process. In my world that’ comes under undemocratic privilege by the seats in Whitehall, but the idea of academies was never about raising standards in education; its about separating the wheat from the chaff and putting money in the pockets of the free marketeers who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Will. 16-03-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8563060)

11-18, there's also primary and Nursery so 0-18 :laugh:

Ammi 16-03-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8563060)

..our feeder school is a college, they used to be called upper schools in the three tier system where there were middle schools as well..there are still a few areas here who haven't yet gone over to the two tier system yet, but our colleges take children from 11yrs old, with 6th forms from 16yrs old...

Cherie 16-03-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will. (Post 8563062)
13-18, there's also primary and Nursery so 0-18 :laugh:

You and your fancy College Will, I don't know what that means for you then I guess it might become an academy :think: