ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Should good behaviour in Prison exist? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299574)

Mystic Mock 25-03-2016 07:27 PM

Should good behaviour in Prison exist?

I personally believe that it shouldn't exist and that you serve out your full sentence for the crime that you commit.

What's your opinion on this?

GiRTh 25-03-2016 07:30 PM

The old - punish prisoners or rehabilitate them?

Niamh. 25-03-2016 07:56 PM

Depends on the crime I think

Toy Soldier 25-03-2016 09:13 PM

I think if it didn't exist, then prisons would be much harder (and much more expensive) to run.

smudgie 25-03-2016 10:49 PM

Carrot to go with the stick..
Time off for good behaviour makes for a quieter jail.

joeysteele 25-03-2016 11:02 PM

Good behaviour should be the norm to be expected as to going to Prison.

I think however we need a change as to sentencing in the UK,there are people in Prison for financial crimes which to me is ridiculous,far better to make them work to pay back even some finance to the organisation or individual that lost out,rather than spend absolutely large amounts of funds to keep them in Prison.

Also, new guidelines and a reform of sentencing to take into account at the time of trial and sentencing, if the defendant has wasted time as to the Courts or been fully cooperative as is the case now.
Maybe though with a reduction as to sentencing except for murder and very serious violent crimes.

Then that original sentence should be the time to be served but then if a Prisoner commits bad behaviour while in prison, then they risk the sentence being increased.

the law and sentencing really is ridiculous at present for some crimes.

DemolitionRed 26-03-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 8580337)
Good behaviour should be the norm to be expected as to going to Prison.

I think however we need a change as to sentencing in the UK,there are people in Prison for financial crimes which to me is ridiculous,far better to make them work to pay back even some finance to the organisation or individual that lost out,rather than spend absolutely large amounts of funds to keep them in Prison.

Also, new guidelines and a reform of sentencing to take into account at the time of trial and sentencing, if the defendant has wasted time as to the Courts or been fully cooperative as is the case now.
Maybe though with a reduction as to sentencing except for murder and very serious violent crimes.

Then that original sentence should be the time to be served but then if a Prisoner commits bad behaviour while in prison, then they risk the sentence being increased.

the law and sentencing really is ridiculous at present for some crimes.

There are? I know debtors prisons or on the up in some states in America but they tend to be for unpaid criminal fines and lack of attendance in court. In the UK we don't have debtors prisons unless this is something very recent?

Kizzy 26-03-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 8580564)
There are? I know debtors prisons or on the up in some states in America but they tend to be for unpaid criminal fines and lack of attendance in court. In the UK we don't have debtors prisons unless this is something very recent?

I think Joey means fraud, these people as with other white collar criminals are pretty well behaved therefore how can 'good behaviour' be proven?

DemolitionRed 26-03-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8580577)
I think Joey means fraud, these people as with other white collar criminals are pretty well behaved therefore how can 'good behaviour' be proven?

Ah ok thanks.

DemolitionRed 26-03-2016 09:25 AM

Should people get out early for good behaviour?

It would very much depend on the crime but fundamentally I'd say yes because it reduces costs and helps create a better environment for both prison officers and prisoners alike. It also encourages a more civil behaviour to the types of people who normally spend their life being disruptive and aggressive and surely this has to be a good thing. I'm more likely to trust someone who got out a year early for good behaviour than someone who did that extra year but remained aggressive and unruly.

Kizzy 26-03-2016 09:53 AM

Like policing the prison system goes through a bit of a transformation during periods of government, I'd say prisons become less focused on rehabilitation during tory rule, being locked in a cell 23hrs a day you don't get much chance to prove your behaviour is good or bad.

Nedusa 26-03-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 8580585)
Should people get out early for good behaviour?

It would very much depend on the crime but fundamentally I'd say yes because it reduces costs and helps create a better environment for both prison officers and prisoners alike. It also encourages a more civil behaviour to the types of people who normally spend their life being disruptive and aggressive and surely this has to be a good thing. I'm more likely to trust someone who got out a year early for good behaviour than someone who did that extra year but remained aggressive and unruly.

Of course, otherwise the prisons would have to be redesigned as there would be no incentive for prisoners to behave and prison staff would be subject to far higher levels of violence towards them and prisoner to prisoner.

Having good behaviour as way to shorten ones sentence is a useful carrot to hold.

Northern Monkey 26-03-2016 05:17 PM

Nah just let em go around slaughtering each other

andybigbro 26-03-2016 07:20 PM

For serious crimes, no chance.

But for silly crimes then yes.