ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   National Wage Goes up 50pence Today ( £7.20 per hour) for over 25 year olds (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299813)

arista 01-04-2016 10:31 AM

National Wage Goes up 50pence Today ( £7.20 per hour) for over 25 year olds

http://news.sky.com/story/1670688/na...mes-into-force

Its what all must get now

Life In The City

http://media.skynews.com/media/image...-1-736x414.jpg
nice smile honey

smudgie 01-04-2016 11:21 AM

Pleased it has gone up, but it hardly seems enough to live òn.
Trouble is with these minimùm ŵages or livîng wages, it is a green light for some firms to just pay that and no more.

Smithy 01-04-2016 11:28 AM

Don't really understand why you're legally an adult at 18 allowed to do everything aside from earn a living wage?

arista 01-04-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 8590909)
Pleased it has gone up, but it hardly seems enough to live òn.
Trouble is with these minimùm ŵages or livîng wages, it is a green light for some firms to just pay that and no more.

Yes other perks may go
Smaller firms confirmed today

Sign Of The Times

arista 01-04-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 8590912)
Don't really understand why you're legally an adult at 18 allowed to do everything aside from earn a living wage?

Yes tough on the younger ones

Niamh. 01-04-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 8590912)

It does seem pretty ridiculous, granted most 18-24 year olds probably do still live at home but what chance do they have to save for their own place or whatever if they're not allowed earn a proper income? And not all 18-24 year olds do live or do want to stay living at home either

billy123 01-04-2016 12:09 PM

Good news i suppose although lets not mistake this for THE living wage which is currently £8.25 nationally and £9.40 for those slumming it in London.
http://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-living-wage
Renaming the minimum wage "the national living wage" is just spin.

It is a start but not one that benefits me it just fetches the minimum wage closer to my hourly wage which makes my job feel less valuable. Unless my employer makes adjustments in the next few years i will effectively be earning minimum wage.

arista 01-04-2016 12:15 PM

Yes Bob
thats why I removed the Spin from my Title

billy123 01-04-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 8590940)
Yes Bob
thats why I removed the Spin from my Title

I didnt see what the title was before but unless other jobs wages adjust themselves accordingly then unskilled stress free jobs will become a lot harder to get due to people working stressful semi skilled and skilled jobs that dont pay much more opting to quit and get unskilled less stressful jobs that pay similar wages.

If i could lick envelopes for £10 an hour then im in!

edit: For the record im all for the raises in minimum wage im just unsure exactly what effect this is going to have on other sectors of employment.

Kizzy 01-04-2016 02:27 PM

Should be 18, I believe all adults should be paid the same.

Toy Soldier 01-04-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobnot (Post 8590936)

It is a start but not one that benefits me it just fetches the minimum wage closer to my hourly wage which makes my job feel less valuable. Unless my employer makes adjustments in the next few years i will effectively be earning minimum wage.

Exactly, brings the cashier wage where I am to only £1.30 an hour less than what the duty managers get, which is ridiculous considering the differences between the roles, what's expected, and the responsibility level. DM wage only went up by 11p. Unless companies can increase the pay for management roles in line with the min wage increases, the whole thing is going to be a disaster... As they're expecting people to take on a load more work for barely any pay increase.

joeysteele 01-04-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8591093)

I agree, where the aged 25 and over bit comes from is ridiculous, no matter where it originated.

DemolitionRed 01-04-2016 07:28 PM

So what's the minimum wage for 18 to 25?

Vicky. 01-04-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8591360)
Exactly, brings the cashier wage where I am to only £1.30 an hour less than what the duty managers get, which is ridiculous considering the differences between the roles, what's expected, and the responsibility level. DM wage only went up by 11p. Unless companies can increase the pay for management roles in line with the min wage increases, the whole thing is going to be a disaster... As they're expecting people to take on a load more work for barely any pay increase.

Everywhere I have worked, the managers do a LOT less than the other staff tbh :laugh:

Hell, I was promoted to assistant manager in one job and the workload just pretty much ended. Yeah I had to cash up tills and such but it was a hell of a lot less work than being in the store front

Kizzy 01-04-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 8591369)
So what's the minimum wage for 18 to 25?

Current rates
These rates are for the National Living Wage and the National Minimum Wage from 1 April 2016.

Year 25 and over - £7.20
21 to 24 - £6.70
18 to 20 - £5.30
Under 18 - £3.87
Apprentice - £3.30

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Toy Soldier 01-04-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 8591373)
Everywhere I have worked, the managers do a LOT less than the other staff tbh :laugh:

Hell, I was promoted to assistant manager in one job and the workload just pretty much ended. Yeah I had to cash up tills and such but it was a hell of a lot less work than being in the store front

Not that sort of role here, the shops are either single manned (by a manager) or double, two people on at once. When you progress to management (even store manager) you still do all of the front line cashier stuff, just with a load more on top.

DemolitionRed 01-04-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8591386)
Current rates
These rates are for the National Living Wage and the National Minimum Wage from 1 April 2016.

Year 25 and over - £7.20
21 to 24 - £6.70
18 to 20 - £5.30
Under 18 - £3.87
Apprentice - £3.30

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Thanks Kizzy. No wonder people struggle. How on earth can single people earning such low salaries even attempt to be independent?

JoshBB 06-04-2016 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8591093)

Agree with this. It's a form of age discrimination really. I can understand sixteen year-olds being paid around 25% less the adult rate given that they are almost certainly less experienced, but to have so many brackets will make it increasingly difficult for young adults to get themselves a house and a secure future.

Jack_ 06-04-2016 01:49 AM

It isn't a living wage in the slightest and their hijacking of the term for political convenience is nothing short of revolting

arista 06-04-2016 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 8597546)
It isn't a living wage in the slightest and their hijacking of the term for political convenience is nothing short of revolting

Yes Jack

Wicked

JoshBB 06-04-2016 02:06 AM

Quote:

Deliberately intended to deceive people, it's appalling behaviour.

kirklancaster 06-04-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

:clap1::clap1::clap1:

kirklancaster 06-04-2016 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 8597541)
Agree with this. It's a form of age discrimination really. I can understand sixteen year-olds being paid around 25% less the adult rate given that they are almost certainly less experienced, but to have so many brackets will make it increasingly difficult for young adults to get themselves a house and a secure future.

Good post Josh, but the emboldened part only really applies to novices learning a trade or craft, and there is no valid reason why even a 16 year old who is carrying out exactly the same duties as an 'adult' in, say, a manual job, does not receive exactly the same renumeration.

But I totally agree that THE very time anyone NEEDS to be able to earn enough money to be able to save money for their future, is when they are first starting out in life.

I know there are exceptions, but in general, the older a person becomes, then the more comfortably off he/she should be.

My own son gained a first in Law but has firmly abandoned any plans he had to become a Barrister because he did not relish the massive 'Student Debt' he had taken on and he leapt at the chance to earn more money much more quickly in the Financial Sector.

All governments employ ruses and devices to cloak their real policies - from creating hokum 'Further Education' schemes and other ploys in order to massage the unemployed statistics downwards, to being seen to be proactively helping 'First Time Buyers' to purchase their own homes with the 'Help To Buy' scheme - a 'scheme' which really only helps those children of the rich and super-rich to avail themselves of yet another 'freebie', because the qualifying crirerion for such 'help' is so draconian it disqualifies 90% of 'ordinary' young couples who apply.

I'd love to see the genuine stats concerning the above scheme.

Ammi 06-04-2016 06:54 AM

..the thing with the Help to Buy scheme is that it is..(or was/it may have changed now..)..only applicable to brand new houses, which tend to be priced higher than an equivalent non new house anyway...probably priced higher by around the same percentage as the government's help with it...as I say, the new house bit could have changed now though, the scheme may be better and good for young people....

..the silly thing as well with there being a different rate for different age ranges is that government employees themselves are paid for the job they do equivalently to someone in a different sector doing the same job, regardless of age...a higher salary for a more experienced person is already covered in job grade and salary bandings etc...

Mystic Mock 06-04-2016 06:55 AM

I'm not very good on this subject, but I can definitely tell that the Government is twisting the statistics in favour of themselves.

If people fool for it then there's no helping them.