ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soaps (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Do soaps need to change to survive? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300527)

Scarlett. 25-04-2016 11:00 PM

Do soaps need to change to survive?

With the way TV is starting to die out, and the rise of streaming, is it time the soaps begin to change? At the moment there is five-six episodes per week of each, which, for the newer generations, is likely a big turn off, as that is quite a high amount of television to watch each week.

I think they should cut it down to around 3 episodes per week, also, maybe something to think about is handing out streaming rights to Amazon or Netflix, to reach a wider online audience.

Rob! 25-04-2016 11:02 PM

I do think they should think about doing a soap on Netflix. I think it would do very well.

Drew. 25-04-2016 11:13 PM

This is a bit off topic from the OP but Emmerdale have changed in terms of attracting the type of modern day viewers who like to create whatever those fandoms are with Aaron and Robert & it's horrific, they've almost created a movie/series type feel to it

Alf 26-04-2016 12:25 AM

When Corrie was on 1 day a week (I'm talking 1980s), it was something to look forward too, now there's nowhere else to go with it but to go around in circles.

The storylines now are no different then what they've been for the past 20+ years, it's just a different cast acting them out.

But to some people they're an addiction, I've had times when I've been addicted, but I'm happy to say I've been clean for a good 15 years now, and can watch an episode if I wish and not get dragged in.

The quality would be far superior with one episode a week.

Scarlett. 26-04-2016 01:30 AM

I definately agree, they've gone over the top with the amount of episodes now, if they'd just cut down, the quality would rise.

Redway 28-04-2016 12:14 AM

I do agree that all the soaps are on way too much during the week. I only dig Easties (Corrie to a lesser extent) but if they cut down just one episode a week that'd be 52 less episodes (three months) to fill with crap throughout the year. The quality would be all the better for it.

Marsh. 28-04-2016 02:28 AM

I only keep up with Eastenders, and even that feels a tad too much and that's on the least at just 4 episodes a week.

They all have to adapt. Emmerdale went from being a farm based quiet soap to a dramatic crime drama the last few years. :laugh: Well, ever since the plane crash I suppose.

One of the reasons Corrie is so dire at the moment when I dip in is it feels stuck in the 90s.
But they make no effort to change it. The Rovers was burnt out, they refurbish it to be exactly the same instead of modernising it. Tyrone and Fiz live in that house that looks like it's time warped from 1984. :yuk:

jennyjuniper 28-04-2016 04:02 AM

They need to bring the storylines back to reality. I know violence and treachery does go on, but not so much of it and all in one weeks episodes!!

Scarlett. 28-04-2016 05:38 PM

The real problem with Corrie is that the plots just stall for weeks on end, getting stuck on the same part.