ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Do bi polar use the illness as an excuse to be cruel? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312438)

the truth 01-12-2016 09:48 AM

Do bi polar use the illness as an excuse to be cruel?

Niamh. 01-12-2016 10:22 AM

I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that tbh

Smithy 01-12-2016 10:25 AM

....no?

LeatherTrumpet 01-12-2016 10:26 AM

I would imagine there is a temptation, with many disorders, to excuse bad behavoir this way.

Toy Soldier 01-12-2016 10:55 AM

As an "excuse"? Difficult question really. Mental disorders will often genuinely make people mistreat others... it's not necessarily an excuse, as in, it's not that they just "wanted to do it" and are falsely claiming that they can't help it. Often, they can't.

On the other hand, that's different from saying that people have to accept hurt and mistreatment just because the person dishing it out has a mental illness or personality disorder. Understanding and accepting the reasons that a person is the way they are, even forgiving them for it, is a good thing... but that doesn't mean you have to keep that person in your life, if they are having a negative impact.

Also there's a world of difference between someone who knows that they have issues that are causing them to mistreat those around them, and when they have more clarity are genuinely sorry for their actions... and someone who thinks that they "don't need to be sorry because they can't help it".

DemolitionRed 01-12-2016 11:11 AM

Being cruel isn’t a characteristic of Bipolar, though she/he could have a personality disorder that co exists with Bipolar. (Bipolar is not a personality disorder)

Black Dagger 01-12-2016 11:34 AM

Yes I'm sure their first thoughts are 'Forget my mental illness, I can get away with abusing the truth x'

thesheriff443 01-12-2016 11:50 AM

Part of the illness could make them think in a way that's considered cruel.
With my daughters autism, she does not show much emotion and some times leave me feeling unloved, but that's just her autistic trait.

Livia 01-12-2016 01:11 PM

I've known a wide range of people be cruel.

Ashley. 01-12-2016 01:15 PM

No.

parmnion 21-03-2018 07:16 PM

Nah, if you are in the middle of a mood swing there isnt much you can do about it....interesting question though..
Im sitting next to a sufferer as i type.

jaxie 21-03-2018 07:31 PM

Welcome back Truth.

I don't know any bi polar people so I can't really say tbh but people generally can be cruel.

Withano 21-03-2018 07:34 PM

:joker: they need to get the truth on big brother tbf. What a ridiculous thing to ask.

AnnieK 21-03-2018 07:36 PM

My ex was (is) bi polar. When on a downer he could be awful. Very selfish, spiteful and at times cruel. It goes hand in hand with the illness. Its not intentional but doesn't make it easier to handle.

Shaun 21-03-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9926952)
Welcome back Truth..

Thankfully just an old thread bumped, he's not back. Raised an eyebrow for sure.

parmnion 21-03-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 9926961)
My ex was (is) bi polar. When on a downer he could be awful. Very selfish, spiteful and at times cruel. It goes hand in hand with the illness. Its not intentional but doesn't make it easier to handle.

My partner suffers...funny thing is i prefer her lower mood swings to her hyper ones..

Shes trying to tell me im a trigger.:fist:

AnnieK 21-03-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9926965)
My partner suffers...funny thing is i prefer her lower mood swings to her hyper ones..

Shes trying to tell me im a trigger.:fist:

Yeah the mania is just as hard. My ex used to be uber fun to be around but would be crazy with it and want to spend money we didn't have to maintain his mood....

I spent my life on egg shells trying to maintain the equilibrium. He is much better now as he is on meds that have stabilised his mood although he feels they have zombified him somewhat

parmnion 21-03-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 9926969)
Yeah the mania is just as hard. My ex used to be uber fun to be around but would be crazy with it and want to spend money we didn't have to maintain his mood....

I spent my life on egg shells trying to maintain the equilibrium. He is much better now as he is on meds that have stabilised his mood although he feels they have zombified him somewhat

Was he taking anti phsychotic meds?

I have been informed it will probably be them that zombied him rather than any mood stabilizer.

AnnieK 21-03-2018 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9926975)
Was he taking anti phsychotic meds?

I have been informed it will probably be them that zombied him rather than any mood stabilizer.

Yeah it is Quitiapine which is anti psychotic I think. He sleeps loads now

Brillopad 21-03-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9926952)
Welcome back Truth.

I don't know any bi polar people so I can't really say tbh but people generally can be cruel.

Nearly had me there too. It would have been nice to have him back. He was like a fixture here and did make some good points on some issues.

parmnion 21-03-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 9926978)
Yeah it is Quitiapine which is anti psychotic I think. He sleeps loads now

Metazapine..in here.

After quituapine made them to drowsy to function..i cant get my head round her illness at all..it is so dibilitating without it looking like it.

Black Dagger 21-03-2018 07:57 PM

My ex is bipolar. We weren't together very long and had some really good times. He blocked me tho to break up with me because his head couldn't handle a relationship. I fortunately never encountered his truly low moments.

RichardG 21-03-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9926998)
Metazapine..in here.

After quituapine made them to drowsy to function..i cant get my head round her illness at all..it is so dibilitating without it looking like it.

mirtazapine? i was on that for a year, i mean it stopped me killing myself but it made me so fat lol.

AnnieK 21-03-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9926998)
Metazapine..in here.

Indeed parmy, its hard to live with and there is nothing you can do to help so frustrating too.

AnnieK 21-03-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Dagger (Post 9927008)
My ex is bipolar. We weren't together very long and had some really good times. He blocked me tho to break up with me because his head couldn't handle a relationship. I fortunately never encountered his truly low moments.

That is one of the hardest things to deal with, the irrational and selfish side of it