ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Irish Delegates visit Cairo to try and secure Irish mans release (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314269)

Niamh. 11-01-2017 09:44 AM

Irish Delegates visit Cairo to try and secure Irish mans release

Poor guy, I hope this works. basically he was arrested in Cairo when he was 17/18 for being part of a protest and he's been there since, he's not even had a trial yet, his trial dates have been cancelled something like 17 times

Ibrahim Halawa described as "strong and very brave" as TDs meet him in Cairo jail

IBRAHIM HALAWA HAS told a delegation of Irish politicians who visited him today in a Cairo prison that he wants to return home to Dublin.
Halawa has been jailed without trial in Egypt for almost three-and-a-half years after 17 different court dates arrived before being postponed.
An Oireachtas delegation travelled to Egypt yesterday as part of efforts to secure his release and today they met the 21-year-old at a high security prison about 90 mins drive outside of the capital Cairo.
Green Party leader Eamon Ryan TD was among those who met Halawa today and said that he seemed strong and “very forthright” in his desire to return home.
“First of all, it was very stressful situation,” Ryan told TheJournal.ie.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ibrahim-hal...80216-Jan2017/

Nicky91 11-01-2017 09:46 AM

okay :(

DemolitionRed 11-01-2017 12:52 PM

I hope they get him out and get him home soon.

Niamh. 18-09-2017 02:08 PM

At last!

Ibrahim Halawa 'absolutely delighted' after he is acquitted of all charges in Egypt
'Ibrahim always wished for it but finally he got it' - family's delight at verdict
Four year process ends after multiple delays and adjournments
Taoiseach and Foreign Affairs Minister welcome verdict
Hopes Ibrahim could be home as early as the weekend
Amnesty International: 'Nothing can ever excuse the horrific ordeal that Ibrahim has endured'

http://cdn-01.independent.ie/irish-n...him-Halawa.JPG

He was arrested along with hundreds of other individuals during peaceful protests against the ousting of former president Mohamed Morsi.

The trial process had been beset by more than 30 adjournments but a verdict was finally delivered today.

Declan Walsh, Cairo bureau chief of the New York Times, said: "Irish citizen Ibrahim Halawa and his three sisters have been acquitted of all charges by an anti-terrorism court outside Cairo."

Speaking on RTE Radio Mr Walsh said Ibrahim was jumping for joy and "absolutely delighted" with the result.
Somaia Halawa, Ibrahim's sister, watched the verdict being delivered with her family in Dublin and said that today's result has surpassed all their expectations.

"We weren't expecting it to get an innocent verdict.. Ibrahim always wished for it but finally he got it. Even in all his letters he said I know I haven't done anything, I know I should be proven innocent," she told Independent.ie.
But the family did not think it was plausible that an innocent verdict could be handed down "after having [a person] in prison for four years and then saying he has been proven innocent" Somaia said.

When her brother's name was called and the verdict read out the family erupted into "screaming and crying".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-36143157.html

Niamh. 18-09-2017 02:08 PM

At last!

Ibrahim Halawa 'absolutely delighted' after he is acquitted of all charges in Egypt
'Ibrahim always wished for it but finally he got it' - family's delight at verdict
Four year process ends after multiple delays and adjournments
Taoiseach and Foreign Affairs Minister welcome verdict
Hopes Ibrahim could be home as early as the weekend
Amnesty International: 'Nothing can ever excuse the horrific ordeal that Ibrahim has endured'

http://cdn-01.independent.ie/irish-n...him-Halawa.JPG

He was arrested along with hundreds of other individuals during peaceful protests against the ousting of former president Mohamed Morsi.

The trial process had been beset by more than 30 adjournments but a verdict was finally delivered today.

Declan Walsh, Cairo bureau chief of the New York Times, said: "Irish citizen Ibrahim Halawa and his three sisters have been acquitted of all charges by an anti-terrorism court outside Cairo."

Speaking on RTE Radio Mr Walsh said Ibrahim was jumping for joy and "absolutely delighted" with the result.
Somaia Halawa, Ibrahim's sister, watched the verdict being delivered with her family in Dublin and said that today's result has surpassed all their expectations.

"We weren't expecting it to get an innocent verdict.. Ibrahim always wished for it but finally he got it. Even in all his letters he said I know I haven't done anything, I know I should be proven innocent," she told Independent.ie.
But the family did not think it was plausible that an innocent verdict could be handed down "after having [a person] in prison for four years and then saying he has been proven innocent" Somaia said.

When her brother's name was called and the verdict read out the family erupted into "screaming and crying".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-36143157.html

JTM45 18-09-2017 02:18 PM

That's fantastic news!!!
I've been following this and it's great to know that he'll finally be back home in Ireland hopefully by this time next week.

Niamh. 18-09-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTM45 (Post 9625046)
That's fantastic news!!!
I've been following this and it's great to know that he'll finally be back home in Ireland hopefully by this time next week.

Must be such a relief for his family, I was listening to the radio this morning before the verdict was announced and no one knew what to expect, they were even saying they could decide to execute them, crazy how their legal system works

LeatherTrumpet 18-09-2017 02:21 PM

"Halawa was arrested and detained at a demonstration in Cairo in August 2013 held in support of the Muslim Brotherhood"

JTM45 18-09-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9625048)
"Halawa was arrested and detained at a demonstration in Cairo in August 2013 held in support of the Muslim Brotherhood"

....and ? :shrug:

Do you actually know anything about what was happening in Egypt in 2013 ? I'd guess not but i'm willing to be proved wrong.

This thread is about a Irish man who was being held with very little reason in Egypt for taking part in a peaceful protest. He's been fully acquited of all charges and can now return home to Ireland to be with his family. Do you have some kind of problem with this (other than that he's a Muslim ?).

LeatherTrumpet 18-09-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTM45 (Post 9625054)
....and ? :shrug:

Do you actually know anything about what was happening in Egypt in 2013 ?

I do, i am able to remember back 4 years and sometimes many more years than that:shocked:

JTM45 18-09-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9625058)
I do, i am able to remember back 4 years and sometimes many more years than that:shocked:

So what point were you trying to make, if any, with your qouted snippet that you didn't add anything to ?

DemolitionRed 18-09-2017 02:55 PM

This is fantastic news. Thanks for the update and the link Niamh

Niamh. 18-09-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 9625082)
This is fantastic news. Thanks for the update and the link Niamh

No worries :love:

GiRTh 18-09-2017 04:13 PM

Great news.:cheer:

LeatherTrumpet 18-09-2017 04:21 PM

Hopefully he wont go a dangerous country like that again to "protest" and will learn his lesson to stay in a much safer and nicer country like Ireland :fc:

Niamh. 18-09-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9625230)
Hopefully he wont go a dangerous country like that again to "protest" and will learn his lesson to stay in a much safer and nicer country like Ireland :fc:

Well, how are these countries ever going to change if people don't protest and make a stand though?

LeatherTrumpet 18-09-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9625234)
Well, how are these countries ever going to change if people don't protest and make a stand though?

Is "protesting" the only method?

He is lucky that Ireland gave him a safe home and would do well to stay there.

Niamh. 18-09-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9625238)
Is "protesting" the only method?

He is lucky that Ireland gave him a safe home and would do well to stay there.

It's one of the best methods I would have thought? :shrug:

LeatherTrumpet 18-09-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9625243)

The IRA did not think so?

Niamh. 18-09-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9625247)
The IRA did not think so?

What does the IRA have to do with this, stop baiting LT it's boring

bitontheslide 18-09-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9625243)

only if its in a regime that tolerates opposition, otherwise its foolhardy and rarely achieves anything.

LeatherTrumpet 18-09-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9625249)
What does the IRA have to do with this, stop baiting LT it's boring

I am not baiting anyone I am saying that in your own country the people did not see protesting as the best method of political change. You may think its boring but its relevant to what you are saying.

Niamh. 18-09-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9625294)
I am not baiting anyone I am saying that in your own country the people did not see protesting as the best method of political change. You may think its boring but its relevant to what you are saying.

So are You saying you think terrorism is the best way forward or what, you've lost me now

Niamh. 18-09-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9625290)
only if its in a regime that tolerates opposition, otherwise its foolhardy and rarely achieves anything.

So they should all just stay home and do what they're told? Lucky the suffergettes never thought that way or I'd have no vote still

jaxie 18-09-2017 10:31 PM

He's lucky to be going home hale and hearty. Far luckier than the American boy who went home from North Korea in a coma. The question of what he was doing there, involved in political demonstration as an Irish citizen does loom a bit. Seems incredibly foolish to choose Egypt to exercise an urge to protest.

With regard the suffragettes they were fighting for freedoms within their own country. As an Irishman wasn't this guy meddling in the politics of another country? That is courting danger.