ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB19 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=703)
-   -   James J sparks Celebrity Big Brother homophobia row over ‘soft boy' comment (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314297)

Epic. 11-01-2017 05:27 PM

James J sparks Celebrity Big Brother homophobia row over ‘soft boy' comment

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/...-a3437991.html

Celebrity Big Brother’s James Jordan found himself at the centre of a homophobia row after he referred to fellow housemate Austin Armacost as a “soft boy”.

Jordan, 38, was warning the US reality TV star to not antagonise him because he would get hurt if he took on the “real boys” following an argument over Armascost’s volatile behaviour in the house.

Jordan said: “Don't start because you don't want me to hurt you. If you want to start playing with the rough boys you're going to get hurt.

“You're used to playing with little soft boys. Don't play with real boys.”

Armacost replied: “Don't play with the dancer, yeah, because the dancer's the rough boy.”

His comments sparked fury among some viewers who branded him “homophobic” while others called for him to be removed.

One viewer tweeted: “Nasty energy in the house. Austin was being bullied and antagonised. Low homophobic remarks by James (sic).”

Another posted: “JamesJ saying that Austin isn't used to playing with "real" boys and only "soft" boys... homophobe much you p**** (sic).”

Denver 11-01-2017 05:28 PM

Eject him

Rob! 11-01-2017 05:28 PM

:facepalm:

chuff me dizzy 11-01-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicD (Post 9142862)
http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/...-a3437991.html

Celebrity Big Brother’s James Jordan found himself at the centre of a homophobia row after he referred to fellow housemate Austin Armacost as a “soft boy”.

Jordan, 38, was warning the US reality TV star to not antagonise him because he would get hurt if he took on the “real boys” following an argument over Armascost’s volatile behaviour in the house.

Jordan said: “Don't start because you don't want me to hurt you. If you want to start playing with the rough boys you're going to get hurt.

“You're used to playing with little soft boys. Don't play with real boys.”

Armacost replied: “Don't play with the dancer, yeah, because the dancer's the rough boy.”

His comments sparked fury among some viewers who branded him “homophobic” while others called for him to be removed.

One viewer tweeted: “Nasty energy in the house. Austin was being bullied and antagonised. Low homophobic remarks by James (sic).”

Another posted: “JamesJ saying that Austin isn't used to playing with "real" boys and only "soft" boys... homophobe much you p**** (sic).”

What a load of utter bollox, my husband calls a lot of fellas "Soft boy" does that make him a homophobe ? people need to get a bloody grip

Epic. 11-01-2017 05:29 PM

I don't find this homophobic in the slightest http://cdn.thisisbigbrother.com/cust...tar98380_3.gif

Vicky. 11-01-2017 05:29 PM

Austin sexually assaults James, nothing mentioned yet one comment (that is slightly questionable at best) is what makes the news...

Epic. 11-01-2017 05:31 PM

Telling someone they're a 'soft boy' has NOTHING homophobic about it unless you made it clear it was. Calling someone that is just meant to insinuate their not tough and they shouldn't handle people tougher than them. In fact people saying it's homophobic in the first place is overthinking homosexuality highly.

Vicky. 11-01-2017 05:32 PM

The writer of this article and the complainers are the actual homophobes if you think about it...immediately assuming that 'soft boys' means gay and 'real' means straight :whistle:

chuff me dizzy 11-01-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 9142874)
Austin sexually assaults James, nothing mentioned yet one comment (that is slightly questionable at best) is what makes the news...

Makes me sick ,Oh to go back to UK before the PC **** took over

Epic. 11-01-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 9142880)
The write of this article and the complainers are the actual homophobes if you think about it...immediately assuming that 'soft boys' means gay and 'real' means straight :whistle:

Firmly agree http://cdn.thisisbigbrother.com/cust...tar98380_3.gif

Toy Soldier 11-01-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicD (Post 9142879)
Telling someone they're a 'soft boy' has NOTHING homophobic about it unless you made it clear it was. Calling someone that is just meant to insinuate their not tough and they shouldn't handle people tougher than them. In fact people saying it's homophobic in the first place is overthinking homosexuality highly.

Exactly. Like I said on the other thread - it's sort of prejudiced to assume that he WAS talking about the fact that Austin is gay. It didn't cross my mind for a second. Just that someone who clearly IS a bit soft probably shouldn't pick fights with people who aren't... gay/straight/whatever doesn't really come into it at all.

Kazanne 11-01-2017 05:40 PM

:joker::joker::joker: The big I am has spoken,get the 'hard' boy out:laugh:

Tom4784 11-01-2017 05:41 PM

Could be considered questionable but then it's also quite a reach.

lewis111 11-01-2017 05:43 PM

This things Austin was saying to James about dancing and stuff were so much worse than this ffs

y.winter 11-01-2017 05:43 PM

What's homophobic about that?! Oh wow, can people get a life for once and for all?

Epic. 11-01-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewis111 (Post 9142907)
This things Austin was saying to James about dancing and stuff were so much worse than this ffs

I agree. He demoralized people who have dancing as a profession, thinking anyone who's a dancer isn't tough at all. That's way more questionable than calling the average person a soft boy, something COMMONLY said by people

Jake. 11-01-2017 05:47 PM

pathetic

Gusto Brunt 11-01-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 9142880)
The writer of this article and the complainers are the actual homophobes if you think about it...immediately assuming that 'soft boys' means gay and 'real' means straight :whistle:

Yeah since when did soft boy mean gay???:shrug:

Vicky. 11-01-2017 05:48 PM

I commented on the article with

Quote:

No mention of Austin sexually assaulting James by shoving his finger up his backside then? I am shocked.

James' comments were mildly questionable at best, and tbh anyone who immediately links 'soft and hard boys' with 'gay and straight' might be a bit prejudiced themselves.
It is 'awaiting moderation' so I doubt it will be published...

Jamie89 11-01-2017 07:08 PM

They were both accusing each other of not being 'real men' though, I think they were both just trying to show off and appear more masculine than the other, but I don't think there was any suggestion that sexuality was a factor in any of it. Austin was making fun of James' masculinity so I don't see why James shouldn't be able to retaliate (Austin being gay shouldn't protect him from that). It would have been different if sexuality was directly mentioned or inferred but from what I saw, it wasn't.

ETA, if anything, Austin should be getting strongly criticized for suggesting that dancers aren't 'real men', highly offensive to all the professional and highly skilled *and masculine* male dancers out there, and very backwards thinking of him.

Vicky. 11-01-2017 07:09 PM

Wow. Comments rejected even leaving out the sexual assault part. What on earth is wrong with

'James' comments were mildly questionable at best, and tbh anyone who immediately links 'soft and hard boys' with 'gay and straight' might be a bit prejudiced themselves. '?

Drew. 11-01-2017 07:13 PM

I would have thought that soft boy was more to do with Austin being more mentally weak by crying and having meltdowns all the time

LeatherTrumpet 11-01-2017 07:15 PM

:facepalm:

RichardG 11-01-2017 07:16 PM

that was one of the least controversial comments of the episode, i can't imagine studying in university for three years to become a journalist only to end up stuck in a job writing nonsense like this :omgno:

Ant. 11-01-2017 07:23 PM

but anyway Austin saying Dancers aren't 'hard' was waaay more insulting. Literally nothing about 'soft boy' is homophobic, not once did I stop and think 'James J is discriminating against me'... it's more bc Austin always backs away from fights with the bigger characters... making him soft