ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Increasingly thinly-veiled outright hate speech on TiBB (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319705)

Toy Soldier 04-06-2017 11:43 AM

Increasingly thinly-veiled outright hate speech on TiBB

Are we allowed to talk about this, or is it "not allowed because it's talking about other members"?

This thread will probably be deleted but that's not really an issue because it will be deleted by a moderator or an admin and that's really who it's for.

You have a problem here and if you guys aren't already talking behind the scenes about doing something about it, you need to be, it is going to get out of control.

This is quickly going way beyond "opinions and freedom of speech".

That's all I have to say, really.

Firewire 04-06-2017 11:45 AM

You know you're in for a bad time when the accusation of racism is worse than actually being racist (or discriminatory in any way)

parmnion 04-06-2017 11:55 AM

We need examples and links.

Wizard. 04-06-2017 11:57 AM

im conf

Toy Soldier 04-06-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9329430)
We need examples and links.

Do you :idc:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley. (Post 9329436)
im conf

Are you :idc:

T* 04-06-2017 11:59 AM

____from2005?

Kizzy 04-06-2017 12:00 PM

100% agree TS

reece(: 04-06-2017 12:01 PM

:clap1::clap1::clap1:

UserSince2005 04-06-2017 12:02 PM

At the end of the day, some people are just speaking sense and from the heart, about our current predicament.

Its people's opinions. This is a forum, by definition, a discussion of opinions. Just because you hypersensitively perceive them to be racist doesn't mean they are.

Some people don't bury their heads in the sand, and they should not be accused of evil intent for not doing so.

UserSince2005 04-06-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T* (Post 9329440)
____from2005?

shut it.

Toy Soldier 04-06-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T* (Post 9329440)
____from2005?

I'm not really thinking specifics at all, I'm talking about a quite obvious recent trend for people "testing and pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with saying" and finding that the answer is "So long as it's not about other members, you can say whatever the hell you want".

And this is being applauded as freedom of speech, except that it's false, and broken, because if you started saying the things that these people are saying in public (or on any other form of social media) people would be shouting you down for it. But on here... you can say what you want "so long as it's in general" and no one can say anything about it, cos that's talking about other members. It's a moderation system that is completely and utterly ****ing broken but it's being stuck to like it's some sort of religious doctrine.

The way I see it, a choice has to be made here. Either abandon the "can't talk about each other" rule OR introduce at least SOME sort of rules about general hate speech. Or secret option #3 (and of course exactly what is going to happen): Ignore it and have the place spiral into nothing BUT hate speech.

Toy Soldier 04-06-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserSince2005 (Post 9329443)
Some people don't bury their heads in the sand, and they should not be accused of evil intent for not doing so.

"I'm entitled to my opinions, and how dare you have opinions about my opinions".

T* 04-06-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 9329447)
I'm not really thinking specifics at all, I'm talking about a quite obvious recent trend for people "testing and pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with saying" and finding that the answer is "So long as it's not about other members, you can say whatever the hell you want".

And this is being applauded as freedom of speech, except that it's false, and broken, because if you started saying the things that these people are saying in public (or on any other form of social media) people would be shouting you down for it. But on here... you can say what you want "so long as it's in general" and no one can say anything about it, cos that's talking about other members. It's a moderation system that is completely and utterly ****ing broken but it's being stuck to like it's some sort of religious doctrine.

The way I see it, a choice has to be made here. Either abandon the "can't talk about each other" rule OR introduce at least SOME sort of rules about general hate speech. Or secret option #3 (and of course exactly what is going to happen): Ignore it and have the place spiral into nothing BUT hate speech.

well said!

UserSince2005 04-06-2017 12:19 PM

Do you know what a liberal friend said to me last night. "This happens in Syria on a daily basis and worse".

Typical "it's not a big deal" liberal attitude.

smudgie 04-06-2017 12:19 PM

I won't thinly veil my hate for terrorist scum.
So bite me.

Ammi 04-06-2017 12:21 PM

...Lord, I don't even know how to start with that OP/post and I'm not used to posting/gathering my thoughts for posting atm..so I'll just say (as best as I can..)...the 'all I have to say' and leave it at that...

...there is a 'problem' for sure because there is a 'problem' in the world atm and the forum reflects that...but I personally don't see it as a problem that can be focused on any particular people with exclusion to others who are focusing on those...everyone and without exception are naturally concerned for their lives, for the lives of others etc...I think that's something we all are agreed on, we don't though all have the same thoughts and reasoning on what we feel is 'blame' and because of that we all have different opinions at what we feel it would take to try to move toward a safer world...no one is all right in their views, whatever their views are and no one is all wrong in them either..but no one seems to listen, I mean really listen to anyone says...they just label and accuse, they pigeon-hole, rather than question/rather than communicate and communication/listening/dissecting etc is THE ONLY way in any possibility of moving forward...

...should we just remove everyone from the forum whose opinions/whose values oppose our own, is that going to move anything forward from this negative world we're in atm...my personal opinion is, is that 'shouting down'/accusing because we may feel a person is intolerant is as bad as walking away from something which we should be trying to take opportunities to understand...understanding takes steps forward to being able to communicate and (possibly) have people listen to us as well..?...have we learned nothing from the presidency of Trump becoming real...?...the people who voted for him because 'he listened to them'...would it have happened, had people not felt they couldn't talk about their concerns and fears without judgement, when everyone is as fearful as each other../there is only differing views on 'cause/and effect', type thing...sorting through all of the ..oh, it's the immigrants/no it's not, it's intolerance is surely something that is necessary for our world and for any steps forward...?...and the same with Brexit, if some voted because of concerns on immigration..?...whether anyone agrees/disagrees or whatever...judging those people for their concerns, throwing up of hands in the air and the refusal to try to understand led to a pretty extreme vote from many...so do we not all bear a responsibility for that..?.../I personally think so...(my opinion of course..)..is that what all of our focus should be is to look at ourselves and our own contribution's to the world we live in and stop judging others and to start listening and really trying communication over judgement...because there really doesn't seem to be a 'side' atm that is 'in the right'....

Scarlett. 04-06-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 9329467)
I won't thinly veil my hate for terrorist scum.
So bite me.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum hates terrorists.

Toy Soldier 04-06-2017 12:28 PM

I would agree with you Ammi if, like I said in my last post, we actually were allowed to have that discussion. As it stands, you're allowed to say "it's immigrants" (and anything you want to say about those immigrants) but the flipping you're talking about - mentioning intolerance, pointing out when someone is being intolerant, is expressly forbidden as "making comments about other members" and will get you banned.

So I can only go back to what I originally said. Either there has to be more acceptance for people calling out each other's opinions - which may include personal comments - or there needs to be SOME sort of limitation on the level of hate speech that is tolerated. I'm not saying ban anyone. I'm not saying disallow opinions that immigration is to blame. I'm saying that there are comments that go far beyond that and they are increasing in number, confidence, and severity and will continue to do so, because the people doing it are starting to feel untouchable. It's a problem that's only going to get worse.

smudgie 04-06-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 9329475)
I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum hates terrorists.

Just making sure my views can't be considered "thinly veiled".
We all have our own opinions, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and we shouldn't try to shut down other people opinions by throwing out insults to them that hold them.

lime 04-06-2017 12:30 PM

Well said TS....looks like something happened last night that i don't know about....as an Afrkaaner reading here lately is stomach churing...why people just can't grow a set of balls and say "i'm racist "is beyond me.Coming from a Boer I know racism when I see it ...and it is thriving here

Kazanne 04-06-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 9329489)
Just making sure my views can't be considered "thinly veiled".
We all have our own opinions, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and we shouldn't try to shut down other people opinions by throwing out insults to them that hold them.

How could anyone disagree with that ? trouble is some people think they know better than anyone else which is fine,but please don't force those opinions on me.

Toy Soldier 04-06-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserSince2005 (Post 9329464)
Do you know what a liberal friend said to me last night. "This happens in Syria on a daily basis and worse".

Typical "it's not a big deal" liberal attitude.

Do you know what my hard core righty friend said to me last night? "We should just round up all of the brown people and set them on fire".

Typical violent racist right wing attitude.

Hey look we didn't mention any forum members and therefore these posts are fine! Hooraaaay.

Kizzy 04-06-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lime (Post 9329490)
Well said TS....looks like something happened last night that i don't know about....as an Afrkaaner reading here lately is stomach churing...why people just can't grow a set of balls and say "i'm racist "is beyond me.Coming from a Boer I know racism when I see it ...and it is thriving here

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Thank you Lime, at least your opinion won't be simply dismissed as PC.

Kazanne 04-06-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

I was on here last night have to admit I saw nothing untowards just people giving their opinions:shrug: but I suppose I could have missed something

Withano 04-06-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

This is heartbreaking to read, I guess I wouldnt ever be comfortable calling somebody a racist because its hard to imagine tibb posts entirely reflecting any single person.
But I guess racism is a scale, and people are increasingly climbing that ladder. Its devastating to see that you, and probably others, feel as if some members have crossed the threshold.