ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Are you voting today? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320103)

Jack_ 08-06-2017 09:51 AM

Are you voting today?

Mainly trying to gauge if there's many first time voters tbh

Niamh. 08-06-2017 09:54 AM

Obviously I'm not British so no but I'm a big believer in using your vote and always do so here and when my kids are old enough I'll be kicking their asses to the polling stations too :hee:

Brillopad 08-06-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 9342736)
Mainly trying to gauge if there's many first time voters tbh

What those first time voters so many are 'encouraging' to vote Labour out of desperation. All those young, naive voters to rack up those votes. Nice move. If the need is there then to hell with making informed choices - just tick the ****dy box!

jaxie 08-06-2017 09:59 AM

Quite a lot of women starved themselves, did jail time and made a general nuisance of themselves so I could vote and have equality with a man. I feel I have to honour them for voting for someone, even though I struggle to find someone to vote for.

Niamh. 08-06-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9342749)
Quite a lot of women starved themselves, did jail time and made a general nuisance of themselves so I could vote and have equality with a man. I feel I have to honour them for voting for someone, even though I struggle to find someone to vote for.

Yes, that's my train of thought too

Daniel-X 08-06-2017 10:07 AM

I would vote if I was old enough, but sadly not.

bitontheslide 08-06-2017 10:07 AM

i live in a safe seat, so my vote really isn't important, but as a matter of principle I voted.

Daniel-X 08-06-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel-X (Post 9342757)
I would vote if I was old enough, but sadly not.

I live in a safe seat also, but I would've voted Labour regardless even though they'll always win here.

parmnion 08-06-2017 10:09 AM

No...out and about in east london atm fixing tvs..passed 4 polling stations all with no security at the door..so no. I will pass.

jaxie 08-06-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9342763)
No...out and about in east london atm fixing tvs..past 4 polling stations all with no security at the door..so no. I will pass.

I hate to say this because it doesn't bear thinking about but I did wonder about security today myself. It won't stop me going to a polling station but with all the attacks lately you do wonder if today might be a target.

Toy Soldier 08-06-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9342763)
No...out and about in east london atm fixing tvs..passed 4 polling stations all with no security at the door..so no. I will pass.

Tessy May thanks you for your patriotism.

Brillopad 08-06-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9342784)
I hate to say this because it doesn't bear thinking about but I did wonder about security today myself. It won't stop me going to a polling station but with all the attacks lately you do wonder if today might be a target.

I think it will be a passing thought in the minds of many but of course we still have to vote. Anything else would be playing into the terrorists' hands and I would never give them that satisfaction.

Legend killer 08-06-2017 10:46 AM

Voted Labour and was honestly the easiest choice I have made in a long time. How anyone can vote for a woman who would not debate policy's head to head with her main opposition is beyond me

King Gizzard 08-06-2017 10:49 AM

Voted about an hour ago, station was full of old people, hoping that's just because of college/work.

Drew. 08-06-2017 10:52 AM

Yeah, first time

Brillopad 08-06-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 9342814)
Voted about an hour ago, station was full of old people, hoping that's just because of college/work.

Or beds.

King Gizzard 08-06-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillopad (Post 9342829)
Or beds.

Such a lovely stereotype

Jack_ 08-06-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillopad (Post 9342743)
What those first time voters so many are 'encouraging' to vote Labour out of desperation. All those young, naive voters to rack up those votes. Nice move. If the need is there then to hell with making informed choices - just tick the ****dy box!

Get a ****ing grip, I'm merely interested in whether this campaign has inspired people to vote, or if they are as apathetic about this election as I still think they are. It doesn't matter who for, political engagement (especially amongst the young) should be celebrated, not denigrated.

For what it's worth, I'd put money on many young voters being generally more informed than the majority of the electorate. But hey, your disdain for the young is as clear as day so what do I care

Black Dagger 08-06-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillopad (Post 9342829)
Or beds.

Aren't you funny.

Wizard. 08-06-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 9342881)
Get a ****ing grip, I'm merely interested in whether this campaign has inspired people to vote, or if they are as apathetic about this election as I still think they are. It doesn't matter who for, political engagement (especially amongst the young) should be celebrated, not denigrated.

For what it's worth, I'd put money on many young voters being generally more informed than the majority of the electorate. But hey, your disdain for the young is as clear as day so what do I care

I would be so sure, I've heard people say they're voting for Labour because Jeremy has the same initials as Jesus Christ.

Jack_ 08-06-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley. (Post 9342907)
I would be so sure, I've heard people say they're voting for Labour because Jeremy has the same initials as Jesus Christ.

Which is of course stupid, but no more stupid than people voting for someone cause they've bought into empty messages about 'strong and stable' leadership

The majority of the electorate - regardless of who they vote for - is uninformed, I don't know why people ever contest this point. There are certainly those I disagree with on the right whose opinions are formed through reading and researching too, I wouldn't try to suggest otherwise. My point was that I'd be willing to bet a large percentage of young people who do tend to vote are more politically engaged than the majority of the electorate. There's not many reasons for young people to get involved in politics, so when they do they must be doing something right. I'm making this point neutrally btw but as an aside, Labour tend to lead among the university educated, so :whistle:

caprimint 08-06-2017 12:22 PM

Nope, I share Lotan's views on politics

Loukas 08-06-2017 12:26 PM

#JezWeCan

Nicky91 08-06-2017 12:33 PM

Duh i can't vote from the Netherlands, and i don't care about politics anyway :hehe:

Tom4784 08-06-2017 12:39 PM

Voted for Labour this morning :thumbs: