ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Corrie Star Claire King reportedly sacked over controversial comments (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321469)

Niamh. 23-06-2017 11:44 AM

Corrie Star Claire King reportedly sacked over controversial comments

I totally agree with her comments tbh, don't see what's so controversial about what she said. Her character in Corrie was s**t though anyway :laugh:

Coronation Street actress Claire King has allegedly been fired after making a handful of controversial comments.

The celeb is also a spokesperson for Smart Energy and has reportedly been relieved of her position there.

According to Ok!Magazine, the actress, who plays Erica Holyroyd in Corrie has been fired from her position on the cast.

http://cdn.evoke.ie/wp-content/uploa...CA_HOLROYD.jpg

The comments in question relate to her saying that she would consider assisted suicide if she became a ‘burden’ to her friends and family.

The actress was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and said in an interview;

‘I can understand why people choose assisted dying – and it’s getting to the point where I would consider it myself. I’m not going to be hurting any offspring as I haven’t got any.’

She also criticised the government by saying that she thinks carers have been let down in regards to money, support and money.

http://evoke.ie/showbiz/claire-king-...3&kwp_1=702889

Greg! 23-06-2017 11:46 AM

A mess. Those aren't even controversial comments, most people probably agree with her

Niamh. 23-06-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg! (Post 9383599)
A mess. Those aren't even controversial comments, most people probably agree with her

Not to mention it was an actual storyline in Corrie :/

bitontheslide 23-06-2017 11:48 AM

the show can't be used to further actors political ambitions. Not surprised she was sacked

joeysteele 23-06-2017 11:48 AM

.... and yet Corrie had a long running storyline of assisted suicide as to Hayley with Roy.
Ridiculous.

Vicky. 23-06-2017 11:49 AM

I don't understand what she said that was wrong?

I would definitely chose assisted suicide if I was in pain and stuff and had no chance of getting better. I am actually thinking about making a will type thing that says if I ever end up severely brain damaged or something where I can't control what I do and stuff, to kill me...and definitely want a do not resuscitate thing for if there was a large chance of it after an accident. Actually can't think of anything worse than being a prisoner in your own body . Not sure if you can actually do that or not though :laugh:

The thing about carers is spot on too. They are paid 60 ****ing quid a week...thats pathetic. sorry but it is. if someone was getting minimum wage for doing it they would be into the thousands per week. 60 quid is an insult. Carers save the country so much money and are treat like crap.

Niamh. 23-06-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9383604)
the show can't be used to further actors political ambitions. Not surprised she was sacked

But she's a Corrie actor and that was an actual story on Corrie...seems crazy that she's not allowed comment on something they covered without getting sacked, don't you think?

Lostie! 23-06-2017 11:55 AM

What the ****? How is that even close to offensive or controversial? :umm2:

I hope her being sacked is a load of rubbish because that would be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

smudgie 23-06-2017 11:59 AM

Comes across as pathetic if this is true.
If we had euthanasia in this country people wouldn't have to depend on assisted suicide to start with. A person should be able to do what they think is right for themselves, there does sometimes come a point in life where carrying on is just too much.
As to the carers allowance, it is abysmal.
A husband or wife that leaves work early in life to care for their spouse gets absolutely no financial help if they have a small pension or savings in the bank.
She has every right to speak her mind on this subject, hardly a sackable issue.

Denver 23-06-2017 12:01 PM

She quit weeks back though

Tom4784 23-06-2017 12:01 PM

I assume it's not true, she may have chosen to leave and whoever wrote the article decided to add 2 and 2 and came up with 7 I think.

Vicky. 23-06-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 9383625)
If we had euthanasia in this country people wouldn't have to depend on assisted suicide to start with. A person should be able to do what they think is right for themselves, there does sometimes come a point in life where carrying on is just too much.
A husband or wife that leaves work early in life to care for their spouse gets absolutely no financial help if they have a small pension or savings in the bank.

Well yes. A healthy person always has the option of suicide if they want to. Someone who cannot kill themselves but wants to die should be able to do that if they chose to. We put animals to sleep to put them out of their misery, but force other humans to live with pain and such when they don't want to anymore. Its awful really

Epic. 23-06-2017 12:06 PM

She was so lolboring in CBB <3

Kazanne 23-06-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9383593)
I totally agree with her comments tbh, don't see what's so controversial about what she said. Her character in Corrie was s**t though anyway :laugh:

Coronation Street actress Claire King has allegedly been fired after making a handful of controversial comments.

The celeb is also a spokesperson for Smart Energy and has reportedly been relieved of her position there.

According to Ok!Magazine, the actress, who plays Erica Holyroyd in Corrie has been fired from her position on the cast.

http://cdn.evoke.ie/wp-content/uploa...CA_HOLROYD.jpg

The comments in question relate to her saying that she would consider assisted suicide if she became a ‘burden’ to her friends and family.

The actress was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and said in an interview;

‘I can understand why people choose assisted dying – and it’s getting to the point where I would consider it myself. I’m not going to be hurting any offspring as I haven’t got any.’

She also criticised the government by saying that she thinks carers have been let down in regards to money, support and money.

http://evoke.ie/showbiz/claire-king-...3&kwp_1=702889

She is right Niamh,my mom looked after someone until he passed away,she did this for years,all she got was £48 per week,we had many a conversation as to how much money home carers save the government ,IF he had been put in a home,it would have cost the council etc £400+ per week ,so that is a lot that my mom saved them and adding all the home carers up,it would be vast amounts,so yes I think carers are poorly treated in general moneywise.I cant see why she would be sacked for saying something factual, really silly tbh.

bitontheslide 23-06-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9383611)
But she's a Corrie actor and that was an actual story on Corrie...seems crazy that she's not allowed comment on something they covered without getting sacked, don't you think?

Thats why

Lostie! 23-06-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 9383625)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 9383630)
Well yes. A healthy person always has the option of suicide if they want to. Someone who cannot kill themselves but wants to die should be able to do that if they chose to. We put animals to sleep to put them out of their misery, but force other humans to live with pain and such when they don't want to anymore. Its awful really

:clap1:

The anti-euthanasia laws are shameful as far as I'm concerned. If you're fully capable of making your own informed decisions, nobody else should ever have control over your life. Especially when the ones in control are perfectly healthy while you're suffering immeasurably.

Tom4784 23-06-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9383643)

Thats why

Given that we don't live in a dictatorship, I don't think criticising the government would have warranted her being sacked.

Jack_ 23-06-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 9383651)
Given that we don't live in a dictatorship, I don't think criticising the government would have warranted her being sacked.

Oh I'm not sure about that, the Tories have a penchant for demanding that people 'respect democracy' by not exercising their democratic right to protest and free speech

LukeB 23-06-2017 12:25 PM

Didn't Corrie do a assist suicide themselves?

bitontheslide 23-06-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 9383651)

Someone was given the boot for doing something similar previously. They have to be careful they don't get accused of political bias. Its not about agreeing or disagreeing with her points, its about using the show as a vehicle for her personal political opinion.

James 23-06-2017 12:42 PM

I really doubt she's been sacked because of those comments.

I was expecting something inflammatory about terrorism or something like that when I saw the thread title.

Probably just her storyline came to an end or something.

Cal. 23-06-2017 12:45 PM

I think they're twisting it.

She quit because they made her character a drip.

Rob! 23-06-2017 01:15 PM

She chose to leave ages ago so I don't see how that results in her being sacked

Niamh. 23-06-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 9383745)
She chose to leave ages ago so I don't see how that results in her being sacked

The internet told me she did :fist:

Amy Jade 23-06-2017 01:25 PM

She definitely quit, she wanted to try new things and apparently was unhappy with the storylines Corrie had offered.

Pretty sure I read that the guy who plays Dev said they are leaving the role open for her to come back too.