ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Aldi allows muslim workers to refuse to sell alcohol (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327481)

reece(: 18-08-2017 02:04 PM

Aldi allows muslim workers to refuse to sell alcohol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHdXP1pWAAEm9tn.jpg

Thoughts? I am conflicted!

Jordan. 18-08-2017 02:07 PM

Tragic

Niamh. 18-08-2017 02:08 PM

Well I was going to say they should be made to do it but then I'm remembering in our local shop any staff under 18 aren't allowed to sell alcohol either and you have to go to another till :think:

parmnion 18-08-2017 02:10 PM

Hardly an issue really..they should have proper signs saying the reason though..big large ones with bright lettering and large arrows pointing at the cashier.

Cal. 18-08-2017 02:15 PM

Wow Salman really kicked up a fuss

Will. 18-08-2017 02:20 PM

State of it

Underscore 18-08-2017 02:20 PM

I'd get it if they actually had to touch it but they don't really

Just another reason we should convert everywhere to self checkouts

Jamie89 18-08-2017 02:24 PM

I don't like it tbh, if someone for whatever reason is against serving alcohol then they shouldn't apply for a job where they'll need to do that. As much as I normally hate the usual 'PC gone mad' cliche that seems to get thrown around all the time, I do actually think that this is an example of it. It just seems to go against common sense on the part of both parties, the worker and the shop, and it's the customers who are going to end up being put off by it so it's only going to end up harming the business, so as well as everything else it's just kinda dumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9564122)
Hardly an issue really..they should have proper signs saying the reason though..big large ones with bright lettering and large arrows pointing at the cashier.

So you don't have an issue with the policy, but you do have an issue with the cashier not being shamed over it?
It's up to the shop to take responsibility for their own decisions, not blame them on their staff, they didn't have to do this. Employees of all religions make unreasonable requests at work all the time it doesn't mean the employer has to agree to them.

jaxie 18-08-2017 02:25 PM

My mum is an alcoholic and I've never touched alcohol, I was always the drive home! I would hate to have the loss of self control and I don't like the taste anyway.

This thread made me wonder, if I worked for them, if they'd be willing to do the same for me?

If this is a consideration for any employee who has objections to alcohol then I guess that's ok, if a little inconvenient, if not then it's outrageous.

Tom4784 18-08-2017 02:26 PM

When working in retail you have to be comfortable handling and selling all products that are available. It creates more work for other people on the tills otherwise. He should have probably been placed in a role that better suited his religious needs without inconveniencing anyone else like handling stock or delivery.

The guy in the original tweet is a bigoted arsehole though 'appeasement?' really?

Niamh. 18-08-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9564136)
My mum is an alcoholic and I've never touched alcohol, I was always the drive home! I would hate to have the loss of self control and I don't like the taste anyway.

This thread made me wonder, if I worked for them, if they'd be willing to do the same for me?

Probably not, I'd imagine employers are pretty terrified of being sued for racism/religious intolerance

Greg! 18-08-2017 02:27 PM

Sorry but I do not agree with this one bit. A ****ing joke. WHY work somewhere that sells alcohol if you're so against it?

reece(: 18-08-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

If this is a consideration for any employee who has objections to alcohol then I guess that's ok, if a little inconvenient, if not then it's outrageous.

Agree with this, it should be equal for all - whatever way.

jaxie 18-08-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9564138)
Probably not, I'd imagine employers are pretty terrified of being sued for racism/religious intolerance

See that is when it becomes a problem, don't I have the same rights as someone who has a religious objection? After all my objection would at least be a real one, based on years of living with someone whose life was destroyed by drink, and not based on a lack of proof.

Tom4784 18-08-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

If this is a consideration for any employee who has objections to alcohol then I guess that's ok, if not then it's outrageous.

The place I work for has special exceptions and such for alcoholism and addiction. They get more sick leave and such for falling off the wagon as long as they admit they have a problem and actively seek help and treatment. I don't think there's any official rules for the example you mentioned but it would be down to the management team to hear your concerns and act on them. Probably wouldn't be a big deal to put you on a section you were comfortable with in that case.

Niamh. 18-08-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9564142)
See that is when it becomes a problem, don't I have the same rights as someone who has a religious objection? After all my objection would at least be a real one and not based on a lack of proof.

I totally agree with you. Religion has no place in the work place etc. I remember when i worked in a bar in London this chef who made the bar food would stop working to pray at certain times of the day, one of these times was right in the middle of lunchtime, it was ridiculous

Dominic 18-08-2017 02:35 PM

:umm2:

jaxie 18-08-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9564149)
I totally agree with you. Religion has no place in the work place etc. I remember when i worked in a bar in London this chef who made the bar food would stop working to bar at certain times of the day, one of these times was right in the middle of lunchtime, it was ridiculous

Well I haven't made any secret of my views on religion but it just amazes me how much people/business will fall over themselves to be agreeable based on religion which has no shred of proof.

Niamh. 18-08-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9564154)
Well I haven't made any secret of my views on religion but it just amazes me how much people/business will fall over themselves to be agreeable based on religion which has no shred of proof.

They only do it for fear of being sued, so the state should bear the responsibility for that imo. If businesses could say no to requests like these without the threat of being sued then I guarantee not many would agree to them

jaxie 18-08-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 9564158)
They only do it for fear of being sued, so the state should bear the responsibility for that imo. If businesses could say no to requests like these without the threat of being sued then I guarantee not many would agree to them

And yet nothing is done for people who have lived in families where they've had to put up with addiction and its ramifications. Funny old world we live in. :shrug:

Interesting none the less. Makes you want to know if anyone has raised those kind of objections to serving alcohol and what response they got.

I kind of agree with other posters that it seems stupid to put this particular employee on the till.

parmnion 18-08-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie89 (Post 9564135)
I don't like it tbh, if someone for whatever reason is against serving alcohol then they shouldn't apply for a job where they'll need to do that. As much as I normally hate the usual 'PC gone mad' cliche that seems to get thrown around all the time, I do actually think that this is an example of it. It just seems to go against common sense on the part of both parties, the worker and the shop, and it's the customers who are going to end up being put off by it so it's only going to end up harming the business, so as well as everything else it's just kinda dumb.

So you don't have an issue with the policy, but you do have an issue with the cashier not being shamed over it?
It's up to the shop to take responsibility for their own decisions, not blame them on their staff, they didn't have to do this. Employees of all religions make unreasonable requests at work all the time it doesn't mean the employer has to agree to them.

Shamed?

Wtf, he should be proud that everyone knows he is a good muslim boy.

Alf 18-08-2017 02:44 PM

Their business, they can do what they like. If you don't like it, don't shop there.

Tom4784 18-08-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 9564166)
Their business, they can do what they like. If you don't like it, don't shop there.

Quite true tbh.

Denver 18-08-2017 02:46 PM

So what happens if all available cashiers are Muslim?

Kizzy 18-08-2017 02:46 PM

It is a bit silly, they work in customer service, if you can't serve the customer work in a different part of the store and let someone else do the tills :/