ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   So..... Boris’ speech....... Too much? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329713)

Northern Monkey 03-10-2017 11:38 PM

So..... Boris’ speech....... Too much?

"I look at Libya, it's an incredible country," he told the meeting.
"Bone-white sands, beautiful sea, Caesar's Palace, obviously, you know, the real one.
"Incredible place. It's got a real potential and brilliant young people who want to do all sorts of tech.
"There's a group of UK business people, actually, some wonderful guys who want to invest in Sirte on the coast, near where Gaddafi was captured and executed as some of you may have seen.
"They have got a brilliant vision to turn Sirte into the next Dubai.
"The only thing they have got to do is clear the dead bodies away," he said, before laughing.

The host of the conference fringe event, Legatum Institute chief executive Baroness Stroud, stepped in to say "next question", as the foreign secretary continued to speak.
The coastal city of Sirte is the former stronghold of so-called Islamic State, or Daesh, and recently the scene of fierce fighting.

Boris Johnson Libya 'dead bodies' comment provokes anger
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41490174

Withano 03-10-2017 11:50 PM

Ugh. I used to adore this man, he was sucha a lovely harmless idiot. Now he's a bit of a ***** dangerous idiot and its not fun anymore.

Marsh. 03-10-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

"They have got a brilliant vision to turn Sirte into the next Dubai. The only thing they have got to do is clear the dead bodies away," he said, before laughing.
:umm2:

smudgie 04-10-2017 12:24 AM

What a prize prat, he was doing ok until then.

Shaun 04-10-2017 02:56 AM

It's amazing how far toxicity can get if you apply a thin coating of eccentricity.

Cherie 04-10-2017 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9646937)
It's amazing how far toxicity can get if you apply a thin coating of eccentricity.

This really :umm2: and I blame him for Brexit as well it would have swung the other way if he wasn't on the bus

LeatherTrumpet 04-10-2017 06:59 AM

I suspect he wasnt actually joking

jaxie 04-10-2017 07:34 AM

In the interests of fairness, I did see a report this morning that explained the comment was taken out of context and that he had been talking about the daesh bodies that are left booby trapped to explode. Because they are booby trapped it's taking a long time to dispose of them.

Marsh. 04-10-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9646965)
In the interests of fairness, I did see a report this morning that explained the comment was taken out of context and that he had been talking about the daesh bodies that are left booby trapped to explode. Because they are booby trapped it's taking a long time to dispose of them.

Does that make his glib joke any less inappropriate though? I don't think so.

joeysteele 04-10-2017 08:42 AM

On the bad side which represents most as to Boris, this man is a liability as the UKs foreign secretary,not fit at all for such high office.

The plus side,despite his intelligence,he cannot help spouting out the nasty elements of his thinking in public.

So those who can and want to can be shown the truly self-obsessed person he is with the very dubious and inflammatory thinking he holds too.

LeatherTrumpet 04-10-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9647012)

making a joke about dead lybian rebels is hardly inappropriate

no one gives 2 fks about them

or Lybia

lets be honest

joeysteele 04-10-2017 08:48 AM

This PM won't sack him though,he'd be far more a likely problem to her on the backbenches.

Fringe meeting or not,he knows it would get reported.
The worry is he sees no wrong as to anything he says.

joeysteele 04-10-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

No,it doesn't. You are correct in my view.

Marsh. 04-10-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9647020)
making a joke about dead lybian rebels is hardly inappropriate

no one gives 2 fks about them

or Lybia

lets be honest

Yeah because mass death is always something to joke about.

Cherie 04-10-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9646965)

Even if it was taken out of context and as a seasoned politician he should have some nous by now on what might be dodgy ground to make jokes about, if he has ambitions of being PM, he really needs to reign himself in

Marsh. 04-10-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 9647036)
Even if it was taken out of context and as a seasoned politician he should have some nous by now on what might be dodgy ground to make jokes about, if he has ambitions of being PM, he really needs to reign himself in

I'd laugh my head off at the mere suggestion but.... Donald Trump is President these days.

LeatherTrumpet 04-10-2017 09:11 AM

People do all the time if its the other side. My point still stands, no one gives 2 fcks except some prissy labour Ms trying to score virtue points (and failing)

It was a fringe meeting and a good line for a fringe meeting, if people want to film it and broadcast it to others out of context and with a :omgno: "look what he said about dead people" well fck them as well

bitontheslide 04-10-2017 09:19 AM

i'm fed up with speeches being deemed inappropriate. Everyone is entitled to say what they want provided it is within the law. In the case of a politician, if you don't like what they are saying then don't vote for them.

LeatherTrumpet 04-10-2017 09:23 AM

He said he had been highlighting the issue of the bodies of dead Daesh fighters being “booby-trapped” with explosives in the city, and said it was “a shame people with no knowledge or understanding of Libya want to play politics with the appallingly dangerous reality in Sirte.”

In other words the criticism is by mps and people who have never been to Lybia and have little knowledge of the situation on the ground.

Cherie 04-10-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9647040)
I'd laugh my head off at the mere suggestion but.... Donald Trump is President these days.

I would laugh my head off but he needs conservatives to vote for him :laugh:

Vicky. 04-10-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Withano (Post 9646903)
Ugh. I used to adore this man, he was sucha a lovely harmless idiot. Now he's a bit of a ***** dangerous idiot and its not fun anymore.

Exactly this tbh...

LeatherTrumpet 04-10-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 9647085)
Exactly this tbh...

which senior politician do you like?

jaxie 04-10-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

As mentioned, the report said out of context, no mention of jokes. Out of context means that the actual conversation was different to what was reported so if that is the case it is unlikely it was a joke or that what was said was reported correctly. Beyond that I wasn't there and neither were you.

Vicky. 04-10-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9647105)
which senior politician do you like?

What do you mean by senior politician? I don't really like any of them but used to find Boris kind of endearing when I fell for the stupid idiot act :laugh:

Toy Soldier 04-10-2017 10:17 AM

War --> Death --> Clear away the bodies --> Western profit.

I don't think he was lying OR joking; I think he was describing exactly how these things work and have worked for centuries. He just forgot that he's not supposed to be so open about that in public. Thought he was at a soirée with his ruthless venture capitalist buddies.