ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech, Movies & Video Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   New Star Wars trilogy in development + Live-action TV series for 2019 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330697)

James 09-11-2017 10:00 PM

New Star Wars trilogy in development + Live-action TV series for 2019

Quote:

"Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy," said Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson is expanding a galaxy far, far away.

The writer-director will create a new trilogy set in the Star Wars universe and will write and direct the first installment, Lucasfilm announced Thursday. Ram Bergman, Johnson's longtime producer partner, will produce.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

The new movies will be separate from the continuing Skywalker saga and "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored," according to the announcement.

The move is a strong vote of confidence by Disney and Lucasfilm on Johnson's work in the upcoming Last Jedi, which opens Dec. 15.

"Obviously I hope you like The Last Jedi. But man now I REALLY hope you like The Last Jedi," Johnson wrote on Twitter an hour after the news broke.

During an earnings call Thursday, Disney CEO Bob Iger said in addition to the new trilogy, the Star Wars universe would be expanding with a live-action TV show, which would be available on a Disney streaming service, set to launch in 2019.

The new trilogy comes as Lucasfilm also has Solo: A Star Wars Story out May 25, 2018 and director J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode IX out Dec. 20, 2019.

Nov. 9, 2:50 p.m. Updated with Rian Johnson's tweet.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...rilogy-1056743

Ramsay 10-11-2017 10:18 AM

Give me a Revan trilogy!

Jamie89 12-11-2017 05:10 PM

I'm here for Return of The Gungans, it's time Jar Jar had his redemption arc.

Toy Soldier 13-11-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsay (Post 9687566)
Give me a Revan trilogy!

Not just give us KOTOR 3 :hmph:.

The idea of going elsewhere in the galaxy is interesting, though... I mean, if we assume that The Force is a universal concept, then it's not just confined to the locality of the original Star Wars story and planets... wherever there's life, there should presumably be individuals with Jedi / Sith abilities.

James 13-11-2017 06:24 PM

That looks good. I'd watch a walk-through of the story. Don't know if the actual game looks great. I played one of the Battlefield games, that this is based on, and didn't find it all that involving.

(Don't have a current-gen console anyway.)

Jordan. 16-11-2017 08:50 PM

But when are they gonna give us a Darth Maul stand alone. Ray Park can still GO

James 17-11-2017 12:46 AM

They brought Maul back (bit improbably) in the cartoon shows Clone Wars and Rebels. I've watched the first two seasons of Rebels. I liked it, with some reservations.

James 08-02-2018 06:14 AM

More Star Wars films and TV announced. :think:

Quote:

Game of Thrones creators handed Star Wars project
7 February 2018

The creators of the Game of Thrones TV series are to make a series of films for the rapidly-expanding Star Wars universe.

David Benioff and DB Weiss will begin work on Star Wars when Game of Thrones ends in 2019, Lucasfilm announced.

Little is known about the project.

But it will develop a story separate from the current series, and also from a trilogy planned by director Rian Johnson, who was behind 2017's The Last Jedi.

"In the summer of 1977 we travelled to a galaxy far, far away, and we've been dreaming of it ever since," Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement.

Game of Thrones, known for its violence and nudity, is markedly different from the more family-friendly Star Wars films.

But Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said the pair "are some of the best storytellers working today".

Some have criticised the announcement, pointing to a lack of diversity among key figures in the Star Wars franchise.

Skip Twitter post by @moryan

End of Twitter post by @moryan

Since Disney purchased Lucasfilm, and the accompanying rights to Star Wars, it has ramped up production of new additions to the series.

This year sees the release of spin-off film Solo, the final part of the recent trilogy is due next year, while there are other TV projects planned.

It is not the first tie-up between Game of Thrones and Star Wars.

Gwendoline Christie - who plays Brienne of Tarth in the TV franchise - took on the role of Captain Phasma in both The Force Awakens and its sequel, The Last Jedi.

Her Game of Thrones co-star Emilia Clarke will also play a leading role in Solo.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42969565

Quote:

.....Fresh off of news that Game of Thrones creators/showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss would be creating a new trilogy of Star Wars feature films, Disney CEO Bob Iger told investors Tuesday that the company is developing more than one Star Wars TV series.

"We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct-to-consumer app. We've mentioned that and we are close to being able to reveal at least one of the entities that is developing that for us. Because the deal isn't completely closed, we can't be specific about that," he said during an earnings call Tuesday. "I think you'll find the level of talent … on the television front will be rather significant as well.".....
From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ervice-1082523

Ramsay 08-02-2018 02:22 PM

Can't stop, won't stop! wonder how long before everyone gets sick of it..?

Toy Soldier 08-02-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsay (Post 9856445)
Can't stop, won't stop! wonder how long before everyone gets sick of it..?

Well, the MCU is rapidly approaching 20 movies deep, and the most recent - Thor Ragnarok - scores 8/10 IMDB, 92% critic rating, and has grossed $850 million global. Plus...

- Started a decade ago

- Has had 2 movies per year since 2012.

- 3 in 2017

- and 3 per year in 2018 and 2019 too.

So we really have no measure of how long it takes for people to get sick of a franchise :joker:. Like some people will express being sick of superheroes / the MCU but the figures say it's here to stay for a good while yet :shrug:. The same will be true of Star Wars. People will start saying they're sick of it, but it'll still hit box office home runs every year, and so will continue to be sold.

Toy Soldier 08-02-2018 02:54 PM

I just want them to make a full on Jedi fap fest. Set it back at the height of the Jedi (or back in the Old Republic), just hire a load of amazing stuntpeople who can act a bit as well, and blow the entire budget on stunts and CGI. 100 minutes of scant plot and epic lightsabre / force battles. Yussss.

James 29-10-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Game of Thrones creators handed Star Wars project
7 February 2018

The creators of the Game of Thrones TV series are to make a series of films for the rapidly-expanding Star Wars universe.

David Benioff and DB Weiss will begin work on Star Wars when Game of Thrones ends in 2019, Lucasfilm announced.

Little is known about the project.
They've 'quit'.

Quote:

Game of Thrones writers Benioff and Weiss leave Star Wars trilogy
1 hour ago

Game of Thrones writers David Benioff and DB Weiss have left the next Star Wars trilogy, which is due to launch in 2022.

The news comes after the pair signed an exclusive deal with Netflix.

"There are only so many hours in the day, we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects," a statement given to Deadline read.

They added that "getting to talk about Star Wars" with creator George Lucas had been "the thrill of a lifetime".

They said: "We love Star Wars. When George Lucas built it, he built us too."

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said that they would be welcomed back in the future. "David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers," she said.

"We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars."

According to a Disney release schedule published in May, the trilogy is due to be the next set of Star Wars films, following this December's The Rise of Skywalker, the final chapter of the Skywalker family chronicles.

The next films are scheduled for 2022, 2024 and 2026, and are set to usher in a new era for the famous franchise.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50219155

Vanessa 29-10-2019 02:08 PM

I'm so ridiculously excited for Star Wars! I need to book those sits immediately :dance:

Oliver_W 29-10-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10703347)

I'm happy for Star Wars to just end after the upcoming movie. The six actual movies are all from good-to-great, whereas the new ones just crap on the movies' legacy and place in movie history.

"in my opinion"

The Star Wars movies were all made as a result of Lucas changing his mind a dozen times, going through creative turmoil, and generally throwing everything against the wall; now they're just products being churned out.

I'd be happy to see an Obi Wan tv series though, and Madalorian looks good.

Toy Soldier 29-10-2019 06:40 PM

I think the extended Star Wars universe - as it is huge - is really something that belongs in TV land at this point. Lots of stories to be told (an Old Republic series would be amazing) but leave the main series as it is.

parmnion 29-10-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 9856511)
Well, the MCU is rapidly approaching 20 movies deep, and the most recent - Thor Ragnarok - scores 8/10 IMDB, 92% critic rating, and has grossed $850 million global. Plus...

- Started a decade ago

- Has had 2 movies per year since 2012.

- 3 in 2017

- and 3 per year in 2018 and 2019 too.

So we really have no measure of how long it takes for people to get sick of a franchise :joker:. Like some people will express being sick of superheroes / the MCU but the figures say it's here to stay for a good while yet :shrug:. The same will be true of Star Wars. People will start saying they're sick of it, but it'll still hit box office home runs every year, and so will continue to be sold.

Fair enough, but has there ever been an alien with 3 boobs, in it?

Toy Soldier 30-10-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10703494)
Fair enough, but has there ever been an alien with 3 boobs, in it?

https://i.imgur.com/jgEeCYJ.jpg

Calderyon 30-10-2019 08:03 PM

Hopefully this upcoming movie is the end of the Star Wars Movie Franchise.

But sadly it won't be.

Scarlett. 30-10-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10703377)
I'm happy for Star Wars to just end after the upcoming movie. The six actual movies are all from good-to-great, whereas the new ones just crap on the movies' legacy and place in movie history.

"in my opinion"

The Star Wars movies were all made as a result of Lucas changing his mind a dozen times, going through creative turmoil, and generally throwing everything against the wall; now they're just products being churned out.

I'd be happy to see an Obi Wan tv series though, and Madalorian looks good.

The more Star Wars we get, it feels like the franchise just becomes less and less special, Star Wars films used to be a big deal, now we've had 4 (going on 5) movies in the space of a few years and it just feels worn out

Toy Soldier 30-10-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calderyon (Post 10704072)
Hopefully this upcoming movie is the end of the Star Wars Movie Franchise.

But sadly it won't be.

There's already a third trilogy planned isn't there? A trilogy of trilogies, if you will.

James 11-12-2020 09:08 AM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j7PPhcxbUEs/hqdefault.jpg

Apparently all these Star Wars series and films are now in development.

We'll see if they actually happen, unlike the projects mentioned above in the thread.

Quote:

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy announced that **takes deep breath** Andor, Obi-Wan (with Hayden Christensen returning), Rangers of the New Republic, Ahsoka, Lando, The Acolyte, The Bad Batch, Visions, and A Droid Story will all stream on Disney Plus in the next few years. As for new movies, in addition to Taika Waititi’s still mysterious Star Wars project, Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins will direct Rogue Squadron.

In the Star Wars Legends universe, the Rogue Squadron was a group of skilled rebel pilots led by Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles — they were also the subject of the Star Wars Rogue Squadron video game series. These games are unfortunately no longer canon, so we still don’t know whether or not the movie will follow a similar plot.
https://www.polygon.com/entertainmen...ar-disney-news

Tom4784 11-12-2020 03:00 PM

With the new trilogy, they need a story plan set out from the beginning and they need to stick with it. The new trilogy had a promising start but was ruined because they had no overall plan and if they did, they got scared and abandoned it after The Last Jedi for the nostalgia bait POS that was Rise of Skywalker.

Oliver_W 11-12-2020 03:33 PM

Most of that can be scrapped. Keep the series for Kenobi, Lando, and obviously Mandalorian, aka the only good modern Star Wars. Actually, Ashoka was good in Mando, so I can see why she's getting a show. If one of the others is for Cara Dune from Mando, that'd also make sense, she's brilliant.

Ramsay 11-12-2020 03:48 PM

Here for Bad Batch

Captain.Remy 11-12-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10967365)
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j7PPhcxbUEs/hqdefault.jpg

Apparently all these Star Wars series and films are now in development.

We'll see if they actually happen, unlike the projects mentioned above in the thread.

https://www.polygon.com/entertainmen...ar-disney-news

So all of those + a new trilogy? Or I am reading this wrong?