ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Morgan Stanly says Corbyn is bad for business. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331420)

DemolitionRed 29-11-2017 08:08 AM

Morgan Stanly says Corbyn is bad for business.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...exit-says-bank
The prospect of Jeremy Corbyn becoming prime minister is a more serious threat to British business than Brexit, the investment bank Morgan Stanley has warned.

Morgan Stanley were in part, responsible for the last financial crash.

Source Financial Times (pay wall)
Morgan Stanley, like many competitors at home and overseas, sold billions of dollars of subprime residential mortgage-backed securities, pools of loans that later sparked a financial meltdown when large numbers of borrowers started to default.
US authorities contend that Morgan Stanley knew that many of the loans backing its securities were defective.

Can a bank that became infamous for defrauding people be trusted?

LeatherTrumpet 29-11-2017 08:10 AM

Its not just them lol

every large financial corp thinks this

Toy Soldier 29-11-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9713458)
Its not just them lol

every large financial corp thinks this

So Corbyn would be bad for large financial corporations or, in other words, Corbyn would be bad for neoliberal politics and economics.

Not exactly surprising news.

LeatherTrumpet 29-11-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 9713491)
So Corbyn would be bad for large financial corporations or, in other words, Corbyn would be bad for neoliberal politics and economics.

nope

bitontheslide 29-11-2017 08:47 AM

Corbyn would be bad for business and our economy would be in a worst state than it is now. Everyone knows this, and yet they still vote for him. :shrug:

Toy Soldier 29-11-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9713494)
Corbyn would be bad for business and our economy would be in a worst state than it is now. Everyone knows this, and yet they still vote for him. :shrug:

I think the theory is short term pain for long term gain for most. Neoliberalism is ultimately doomed... It simply can't and won't work forever. But currently it's all we really have.

joeysteele 29-11-2017 11:30 AM

Are the Banks really in any position to take any attempt as to any even unlikely moral ground.

I heard this on the news,dismissed it and will treat it with the contempt it warrants.

Banks would be better making sure they keep their own houses in order before commenting on others.

Brillopad 29-11-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 9713491)

Not surprising you add your own little twist on facts.

Toy Soldier 29-11-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillopad (Post 9713638)
Not surprising you add your own little twist on facts.

What twist on what facts? The only fact in this thread is that a large financial institution has said that Corbyn would be bad for business...

Livia 29-11-2017 12:57 PM

The shadow chancellor is a ****ing Marxist. Come on, it doesn't take a genius to see Corbyn and his gang would be a disaster for the country.

Oliver_W 29-11-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 9713609)
I heard this on the news,dismissed it and will treat it with the contempt it warrants.

So you think Corbyn would be good for business?

Kizzy 29-11-2017 02:24 PM

Can anyone give me one positive from the last 7yrs of austerity? ...Backed with the relevant data obv.

Kizzy 29-11-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9713494)

How do we know this?

Corbyn would be bad for shareholders....not business. That's why they are terrified.
He would be good for businesses, and workers (you)

Livia 29-11-2017 02:31 PM

He would overspend. ALL Labour governments overspend. Then the Tories would get back in once Labour has spent everything and have to cut back again. It's a cyclical thing.

joeysteele 29-11-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9713690)

I actually believe a Labour govt would be, yes.

I had my doubts as to a Corbyn govt. and with him as leader/PM.

Now,I think it would be difficult to imagine anyone could be worse than the shocking people in charge now.

I cannot see a Labour landslide win,however the gaining of strength of voters is with Corbyn and his ideas,among the younger and newer sets of voters.
Which is why hardline Tories hate the idea of giving younger people than 18 a vote.

I think business would do all it needs to under any govts,accept the times and get on with things as much as before.
So really business is rarely satisfied much ever really,irrespective of who is PM.

So yes I think a Corbyn govt.would be good for the UK and ultimately business too.
I think a marked change is needed as to policy and direction and for younger voters and newer voters, Corbyn's vision seems to be the one growing more and more as to what they'd prefer now.

In a democracy business like everyone else would have to respect that if a Corbyn led govt resulted after an election.

Toy Soldier 29-11-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 9713745)
He would overspend. ALL Labour governments overspend. Then the Tories would get back in once Labour has spent everything and have to cut back again. It's a cyclical thing.

This ideology is contingent on believing that austerity measures actually work or help... And given that the last 7+ years of Tory austerity appears not to have helped the national debt situation at all (in fact, it is still soaring) then surely whether or not cuts are the answer is very much open to debate?

Kizzy 29-11-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

You have to speculate to accumulate...

Take our railways and utilities bake that have been run into the ground they were always in the black, that's a start.

Have I to mention the royal mail sell off fiasco? How are we to make money if we have nothing .. and we keep lowering taxes... how do we make money?

Become a tax haven?...sell more bombs?

Not for my families future.

bitontheslide 29-11-2017 02:42 PM

one only needs to look at what he had planned at the last election to know how crippled he would have left the country, its not rocket science

Oliver_W 29-11-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 9713758)
Have I to mention the royal mail sell off fiasco? How are we to make money if we have nothing .. and we keep lowering taxes... how do we make money?

Re the lowering of taxes, a handful of US states don't have any personal income tax, and they have budget surpluses. Offhand I think they are Nevada, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Florida (which might have been affected by the hurricane).

People have more money in their pockets, so it gets spent (VAT gets paid), and it goes to businesses, who pay business tax.

Toy Soldier 29-11-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9713759)
one only needs to look at what he had planned at the last election to know how crippled he would have left the country, its not rocket science

It's also purely speculation, but cause he didn't win, and therefore the outcome of that happening is unknown.

DemolitionRed 29-11-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

It baffles me why people believe this when there’s enough evidence to show otherwise. On average the Conservatives have spent more each year in office than Labour have. Even if you take out and ignore the 6 year recovery period from 2008 where the Cons had to borrow more, statistics show Labour, on average of years in No 10, have repaid national debt more often and borrowed less than the Conservatives. The Conservatives are known for being high borrowers and low debt re-payers.

DemolitionRed 29-11-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9713759)

So what is this thing that would of crippled the country? you can't make statements like that without some sort of back up to prove your point.

arista 29-11-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 9713800)
It's also purely speculation, but cause he didn't win, and therefore the outcome of that happening is unknown.

Bang On Right Prof TS.

DemolitionRed 29-11-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9713690)

It depends what business you have in mind. Are you talking large private corporate business or government business? Presently its all one of the same.
So on that note, would Corbyn stop government profiteers? Would he put in reforms that would stop the fat cats profiting from budgets, private sell offs and oversea aid?

Kizzy 30-11-2017 08:09 PM

Haha! you tell em Jez!!

Jeremy Corbyn has told Morgan Stanley it is right to regard him as a threat, after the investment bank warned its clients that a Labour government could pose as much of a risk to British business as Brexit.

The Labour leader hit back on Thursday, accusing Morgan Stanley of being part of the same “speculators and gamblers who crashed our economy in 2008”. In a video posted on social media, he also promised a new approach to financial services regulation.

“Nurses, teachers, shopworkers, builders, just about everyone is finding it harder to get by, while Morgan Stanley’s CEO paid himself £21.5m last year and UK banks paid out £15bn in bonuses,” Corbyn said.

Well said!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-labour-brexit