ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Ex Lib Dem :Tim Farron: I was a fool to say gay sex is not a sin (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333420)

arista 11-01-2018 11:45 AM

Ex Lib Dem :Tim Farron: I was a fool to say gay sex is not a sin

[Former Lib Dem leader Tim Farron has
said he regrets saying gay sex is not a sin.
The Westmorland and Lonsdale MP
made the statement just two weeks
before last year's election as he came
under fire over his views on homosexuality.]

He stood down after the last Election.

[Speaking to Premier Christian Radio
on Wednesday, Mr Farron admitted
he "foolishly and wrongly" caved
into pressure when quizzed on his
Christian beliefs.]

https://news.sky.com/story/tim-farro...a-sin-11202698

A mess
Now gays are sinners
due to his church beliefs

https://e3.365dm.com/17/04/1096x616/...20170424191059
APRIL 2017: Farron dodges question about views on gay sex

Tom4784 11-01-2018 11:49 AM

I feel sorry for his children and hope that none of them turn out to be anything but straight for their sakes. Awful man.

Oliver_W 11-01-2018 11:53 AM

Sin is a religious thing, and all of the mainstream religions ostensibly denounce homo sex, so it technically is a sin. Doesn't mean politicians need to openly state this though, or allow it to affect their policies.

Northern Monkey 11-01-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9786356)
Sin is a religious thing, and all of the mainstream religions ostensibly denounce homo sex, so it technically is a sin. Doesn't mean politicians need to openly state this though, or allow it to affect their policies.

I think he was asked about it though so had to lie or risk his career.
It must be an awkward position to be put in.

He lied to further his career and probably now feels he’s let himself,the church and god down.

Tom4784 11-01-2018 12:41 PM

Anyone that can't separate religion and politics shouldn't be in politics. You only have to look at history and places today where government and law is built around religion to see how bad it can be to mix religion and politics.

bitontheslide 11-01-2018 01:11 PM

and that is the reason why people pushed him for an answer. If you can't be truthful answering as simple question, what right does he have to represent people in parliament

Oliver_W 11-01-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 9786410)
Anyone that can't separate religion and politics shouldn't be in politics. You only have to look at history and places today where government and law is built around religion to see how bad it can be to mix religion and politics.

Has his religion ever affected the way he votes, as far as is known? If not, then saying "gay sex is a sin" is politically neutral, as "sin" is a religious thing, not a political one. If he'd have said "gay sex should be illegal", that'd be a different fish shaped kettle.

joeysteele 11-01-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 9786353)
I feel sorry for his children and hope that none of them turn out to be anything but straight for their sakes. Awful man.

Agreed.

I sometimes wonder what they actually think of his views.

jaxie 11-01-2018 02:19 PM

He's not the leader of anything now and is not relevant.

I think religion needs to take the lead on this issue and update views from year 1 AD.

LeatherTrumpet 11-01-2018 02:30 PM

disgusting lying pig

T* 11-01-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9786356)

so is premarital sex and shellfish. don’t make excuses for him.

LeatherTrumpet 11-01-2018 03:06 PM

he acutally believes that homosexuals will burn in hell forever and ever

i mean he really thinks this, i would not employ him to sweep streets

Tom4784 11-01-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9786449)
Has his religion ever affected the way he votes, as far as is known? If not, then saying "gay sex is a sin" is politically neutral, as "sin" is a religious thing, not a political one. If he'd have said "gay sex should be illegal", that'd be a different fish shaped kettle.

You're jumping through hoops there to vindicate him there though.

He regrets saying what he said in an official capacity, that alone says it all. Religion and Politics should be kept separate, people who can't do that shouldn't be in office. If he was still Leader, saying what he wanted to say would have been disastrous. If you have a voice that stands for intolerance and bigotry then people will unite under it, look no further than America for proof of that. Having what was a major politician push his homophobia under the guise of religion could have led to the country to take so many steps back if homophobes took it as a call to arms.

bitontheslide 11-01-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9786449)

You can be a career politician and you can be a conviction politician. Farron put himself out there as a conviction politician, and then lied to further his career

If he had been honest in that he was a career politician, no-one would have made any fuss

arista 11-01-2018 04:10 PM

Politicians need to be transparent

armand.kay 11-01-2018 04:19 PM

straight people are OBSESSED with gays.

Withano 11-01-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 9786707)
straight people are OBSESSED with gays.

They sound a bit gay to me :suspect:

Toy Soldier 11-01-2018 04:32 PM

Homosexuality IS a sin in most religions, there's not really any two ways about that, it's stated explicitly in most religious teachings.

However, the concept of "sin" is bull****, so the fact that it's technically a sin should be considered to be completely irrelevant to any discussion in the modern world, and most importantly in politics.

Having looked into this, though, he's not just saying that homosexuality is "technically a sin" - he's saying that he personally believes it and considers homosexuality to be "wrong". Which is obviously much worse than just pointing out that the "bible sez" it's a sin.

bitontheslide 11-01-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 9786736)
Homosexuality IS a sin in most religions, there's not really any two ways about that, it's stated explicitly in most religious teachings.

However, the concept of "sin" is bull****, so the fact that it's technically a sin should be considered to be completely irrelevant to any discussion in the modern world, and most importantly in politics.

Having looked into this, though, he's not just saying that homosexuality is "technically a sin" - he's saying that he personally believes it and considers homosexuality to be "wrong". Which is obviously much worse than just pointing out that the "bible sez" it's a sin.

he is a religious hypocrite, and they are pretty low on my list of favourite people. What else can he be when he was leader of what is supposed to be a progressive political party. His whole aim was to further his career and lie while doing it.

Livia 11-01-2018 05:09 PM

He was hounded into giving an answer. I've never heard anyone question a Muslim, or a Jewish MP on the same subject.

Shaun 11-01-2018 05:12 PM

Pet Shop Boys didn't mind

GoldHeart 12-01-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 9786826)
He was hounded into giving an answer. I've never heard anyone question a Muslim, or a Jewish MP on the same subject.

Good point Livia :clap1:

I think some MP's get a bad rep when they answer things honestly based on their religious views .
But I think Tim Farron is a bit of a back peddler who keeps flip flopping, didn't he deny he said it or change his mind?? :conf: :facepalm:. I don't think he knows what to say anymore and he seems lost and a bit weak.

Its so tiresome and irritating when some UK politicians get hounded over their views on this sort of stuff though.

Can't we focus on relevant stuff like NHS and cuts and the police force etc amongst other important stuff.

Theresa May is working with the DUP who are known for their prejudices , and America has a brainless creep as president !! Who enjoys offending every minority :bored: . So I would say those are worse :facepalm: .

LeatherTrumpet 12-01-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldHeart (Post 9788026)
Good point Livia :clap1:

I think some MP's get a bad rep when they answer things honestly based on their religious views .
But I think Tim Farron is a bit of a back peddler who keeps flip flopping, didn't he deny he said it or change his mind?? :conf: :facepalm:. I don't think he knows what to say anymore and he seems lost and a bit weak.

Its so tiresome and irritating when some UK politicians get hounded over their views on this sort of stuff though.

Can't we focus on relevant stuff like NHS and cuts and the police force etc amongst other important stuff.

Theresa May is working with the DUP who are known for their prejudices , and America has a brainless creep as president !! Who enjoys offending every minority :bored: . So I would say those are worse :facepalm: .

You dont think its important that the leader of a main party thinks if he mumbles under his breath to an invisible man the invisible man will make something happen?

That this invisible man runs his life and is more important than the Government or the people?

That all scientific endeavour and discovery is false?

wow

Toy Soldier 12-01-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldHeart (Post 9788026)

As they rightly should if those honest religious views are stuck decades or centuries in the past.

Northern Monkey 12-01-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 9786826)

Very true.

I’m no Farron fan AT ALL but he did get grilled to pieces on his private religious views.

And where are all the MP’s of other religions getting the same treatment?

Of course if that did happen they know the answers they’d get and it’d affect their quotas for minorities.