ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Oxfam staff hired prostitutes during Haiti's 2011 earthquake relief effort. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335647)

arista 10-02-2018 04:13 PM

Oxfam staff hired prostitutes during Haiti's 2011 earthquake relief effort.

[Government to review work with Oxfam
over allegations of Haiti prostitutes cover-up
The move comes after the
charity denied claims it had covered
up the use of prostitutes by senior
aid workers in Haiti in 2011.

[Former minister for international
development Andrew Mitchell said
the report was one of "utter horror".]

Every Charity needs to be transparent.
This news is terrible.

https://news.sky.com/story/oxfam-den...aster-11243106

bitontheslide 11-02-2018 11:57 AM

This comes as no surprise to me, the scale of it was worse than I thought though.

Just like schools and youth organisations here are targets for would be predators, those needing aid are equally vulnerable, and these are the things that happen without strict checks

jaxie 11-02-2018 12:03 PM

This sits very uncomfortably and isn't something I'd thought of before though as Bits says it probably shouldn't be a surprise.

There is something very wrong with us as humans when those who go to help are exploiting the vulnerable while there. No one will ever convince me that prostitution is ever a real choice unless there are no other choices.

What is it with people and sex? I like sex but I can go without if the circumstances don't put Mr Jaxie and I in a place where we can indulge. And what's wrong with masturbating?

arista 11-02-2018 12:11 PM

It gets worse
From Marr BBC1HD
Those Sacked
then walked into other Charity Groups.

The Minister is very concerned
about the Tax Payers money
going onto Oxfam and others.

Kizzy 11-02-2018 12:18 PM

And the knee jerk reaction is to cut funding.... not just to this charity but all

Played right into their hands, of course that should never have happened and ther needs to be more transparency granted but I can't help but feel this is being blown up as a way to further damage public confidence in the important work of charities.

We didn't get any of this threatened when there was the 'kids company' expose did we? Too close to home that one.
Personally I think this was only brought to the fore to take the heat from the 'presidents club' and the seedy shenanigans involved there.

arista 11-02-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 9860614)
And the knee jerk reaction is to cut funding.... not just to this charity but all

Played right into their hands, of course that should never have happened and ther needs to be more transparency granted but I can't help but feel this is being blown up as a way to further damage public confidence in the important work of charities.

We didn't get any of this threatened when there was the 'kids company' expose did we? Too close to home that one.
Personally I think this was only brought to the fore to take the heat from the 'presidents club' and the seedy shenanigans involved there.

Yes maybe

Vicky. 12-02-2018 10:08 AM

****ing disgusting.

arista 12-02-2018 06:54 PM

Ch4HD news
spoke to the Deputy Leader of Oxfam
who stepped down
And the youngsters working in UK Oxfam Shops
were also sexually abused

https://news.sky.com/story/former-ox...hours-11248445

arista 13-02-2018 05:21 AM

https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.ne...02%20Metro.JPG

https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.ne...302%20Mail.JPG

https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.ne...02%20Times.JPG

Ammi 13-02-2018 05:50 AM

..this ‘story’ is really rolling and gathering ...I have to say, I was quite confused when it was first revealed...anyways, this is all horrific in its unfolding...that even the most basics of safeguarding against vulnerability have not been enforced or demanded...a huge ‘loophole’, which some have used to abuse and as well as the individual damage, the damage to charities and the work they do also, going into the future...and in a world that is so very focused on and geared up to ‘prevent’ of those very vulnerable in society...it’s just incredible that this has happened in recent times and over time...awful...

parmnion 13-02-2018 06:52 AM

Its disgusting that this was covered up..not very charitable at all.

Kizzy 13-02-2018 07:32 PM

It wasn't covered up the relevant authorities knew it just wasn't escalated to ministers... So now that means that charities get their funding slashed.

What?... Nobody is now questioning the 'presidents club' ... Wonder why, this smokescreen perhaps?

Cherie 13-02-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 9867509)
It wasn't covered up the relevant authorities knew it just wasn't escalated to ministers... So now that means that charities get their funding slashed.

What?... Nobody is now questioning the 'presidents club' ... Wonder why, this smokescreen perhaps?

the President's club has been the catalyst for this, I think its slightly different anyway the girls the at the PC had freedom to leave, they were not vulnerable and nobody was trading sex for aid, the PC isn't funded by the taxpayer or Doris donating her clothes or Fred donating 5.00 every month.

parmnion 13-02-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 9867509)

What are you on..blooby hell.:joker:

Oxfam covered it up fgs..

arista 14-02-2018 09:18 AM

[National Crime Agency contacted over Oxfam scandal

Charities receiving UK aid have been told to show "full transparency" and outline assurances about their safeguarding process.]

About time.

https://news.sky.com/story/oxfam-aid...andal-11249960

https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.ne...402%20Mail.JPG

https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.ne...02%20Times.JPG

LeatherTrumpet 14-02-2018 09:23 AM

time to look at all foreign aid tbh

GoldHeart 14-02-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9865797)
Its disgusting that this was covered up..not very charitable at all.

Unbelievable , I don't think people will look at charities the same way again :shocked:.
Why does something that's meant to be honest & generous have to have dark secrets . Totally the opposite of "charitable" :bored: .

Northern Monkey 16-02-2018 01:14 AM

Forgive me for being dumb I haven’t looked into this much but what exactly is the main issue with this?I watched Question Time but i’m still non the wiser really.
Was it that they were using charity money that the public had donated or were the hookers underage or something?

Rob! 16-02-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Monkey (Post 9873138)
Forgive me for being dumb I haven’t looked into this much but what exactly is the main issue with this?I watched Question Time but i’m still non the wiser really.
Was it that they were using charity money that the public had donated or were the hookers underage or something?

I feel like I've come in halfway through this story, having seen it on the news for the past couple of nights. From what I can gather, the company is accused of covering up allegations that were made in 2011 that some of their workers, and senior ones at that, used underage prostitutes while in Haiti after the earthquake. It sound like one of those snowballing things that's getting worse as the days go on, to the point where I'm wondering if Oxfam can actually come back from this at all.

parmnion 16-02-2018 06:30 AM

This is why women should run all charities.

Kizzy 16-02-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 9868071)
the President's club has been the catalyst for this, I think its slightly different anyway the girls the at the PC had freedom to leave, they were not vulnerable and nobody was trading sex for aid, the PC isn't funded by the taxpayer or Doris donating her clothes or Fred donating 5.00 every month.

Who said it was exactly the same?... I simply suggested that this 'expose' conveniently eclipsed other stories circulating at the time.

Andrew Mitchell distanced himself immediately, suggesting that it was known but had not been 'escalated' to govt ministers... how far up the chain of command is that? pretty far to be fair so the suggestion this was previously unheard of on any level I am loathe to believe.

bitontheslide 16-02-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

in addition to what Rob said, there is also evidence that abuse went on in local oxfam shops in the UK too, so its turned in to a very large issue

Cherie 16-02-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 9873506)
in addition to what Rob said, there is also evidence that abuse went on in local oxfam shops in the UK too, so its turned in to a very large issue

and allegations of sex for aid in Chad

Cherie 16-02-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 9873481)
Who said it was exactly the same?... I simply suggested that this 'expose' conveniently eclipsed other stories circulating at the time.

Andrew Mitchell distanced himself immediately, suggesting that it was known but had not been 'escalated' to govt ministers... how far up the chain of command is that? pretty far to be fair so the suggestion this was previously unheard of on any level I am loathe to believe.

This is a much bigger deal that the Presidents Club, if it has been previously ignored then shame on them, but at least it is out in the open now and rightly so unless you think it is okay for vulnerable people to be manipulated and funding continued on that basis

arista 16-02-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Yes it was under age poverty children
and even youngsters working in UK shops
Raped by some men in that Massive Oxfam team.
The Gov., gives big Cash to Oxfam
Tax payers money - thats what matters more.

Many that Donated to Oxfam have now stopped
and giving to another Charity

And from Todays news
Even more Rape charges
are on the way.

Oxfam let "THEIR" Pedophiles go to other charities
not even giving them Public Sackings
Saving the Oxfam brand was number one
thats THE BIG SCANDAL .