ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How shady is this! (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336269)

Amy Jade 05-03-2018 12:03 AM

How shady is this!

So my friend went for an interview for a job at B&M and got asked to go in for a trial Saturday 'for a few hours' to see how he coped with the job, he got there and was told he was going to shadow someone. After about 30 minutes they sent him to work on his own and after over an hour of him putting stock out alone he went to find someone to say he had finished and the bloke said something along the lines of that was quick etc. Anyway they asked him to stay longer to cover dinners which he did. After being there almost 5 hours without a break the manager asked him to come in Sunday to speak to somebody and they would plan his induction.

He went in Sunday and they had him working stock again for 2 hours while people had breaks and then he spoke to a different guy who asked him what hours he could do and he said any, shook his hand and said they would ring him.

Tonight at about 11 he got a text off the guy who rang him about the interview to begin with saying they had no hours at the moment but thanks for the interest...

So ****ing scummy! they literally used him and stole about 8 hours of his time to cover breaks and made out they were interested and then text him at 11pm saying they have no hours? I would demand paying that is genuinely slave labour.

Marsh. 05-03-2018 12:14 AM

He wasn't paid at all for his trial?

That doesn't sound right at all.

Jordan. 05-03-2018 12:15 AM

Did he ask to be paid for the induction? Sounds like they just took advantage of his willingness.

RileyH 05-03-2018 12:16 AM

A tad messy

Marsh. 05-03-2018 12:17 AM

Doesn't Lostie work for B&M? You should ask him about their procedures and stuff.

Amy Jade 05-03-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9904677)
He wasn't paid at all for his trial?

That doesn't sound right at all.

No, paid nothing. I suggested he text back asking to be reimbursed for his time. I have no idea how it would work though as he never clocked on, they could argue he was only there an hour but he was there 5ish hours Saturday, because when he said so another person in our snapchat group said he was entitled to 15 minutes of break time

montblanc 05-03-2018 12:22 AM

messy

Amy Jade 05-03-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan. (Post 9904679)
Did he ask to be paid for the induction? Sounds like they just took advantage of his willingness.

As far as I know no, they told him a few hours but as both the woman he was initially shadowing (he called her a training buddy?) and they guy he met on the saturday made out he was a shoe in and when they asked him to stay he thought he best had to show willing...then to ask him in sunday to speak about an induction and have him covering breaks instead and then say there are no hours. They must have known before hand they had no hours.

Jason. 05-03-2018 12:48 AM

Stories like this are why I'm thankful I don't work in retail. I'd complain if I were him. It sounds like they were just using him to cover shifts, knowing they weren't going to pay him and then turn around and say "we don't want you."

Jordan. 05-03-2018 12:55 AM

He should try complaining to head office, they might at least send some vouchers to compensate for his lack of pay

Cal. 05-03-2018 02:12 AM

Give me their number so

Greg! 05-03-2018 03:40 AM

Next are. Tory scum

Ammi 05-03-2018 05:37 AM

...it sounds very exploitative, Amy...that just sucks so much for him to have given those hours and have felt so hopeful, with what was said to him...:sad:...I guess it depends how far he would want to go with it..?...it could be a local newspaper story..?...I’m sure they may be interested in how badly and unfairly he was treated...may Citizens Advice could advise...becUse someone else will very possibly have the same../..similar experience ...and it’s so wrong for employers to do...I’m so sorry this has been such a rubbish experience for him..but there are good employers out there who won’t exploit...so I hope he doesn’t lose faith...:hug:...

bitontheslide 05-03-2018 06:28 AM

the moral of the story is to ask what the terms are before you start. It's not just about pay, if he wasn't employed, he wouldn't have been insured, so they were negligent

hijaxers 05-03-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 9904754)
...it sounds very exploitative, Amy...that just sucks so much for him to have given those hours and have felt so hopeful, with what was said to him...:sad:...I guess it depends how far he would want to go with it..?...it could be a local newspaper story..?...I’m sure they may be interested in how badly and unfairly he was treated...may Citizens Advice could advise...becUse someone else will very possibly have the same../..similar experience ...and it’s so wrong for employers to do...I’m so sorry this has been such a rubbish experience for him..but there are good employers out there who won’t exploit...so I hope he doesn’t lose faith...:hug:...

Yes i agree it wouldn't surprise me if they do this kind of thing on a regular basis and some poor person expecting to get employment is is used and then brushed aside and no one finds out what they are up to. It really is shocking behaviour .
Maybe get someone else you know to contact them and ask for work and see if they try pulling the same stunt . I would also contact head office in writing as well as by phone.

Cherie 05-03-2018 06:40 AM

My friends son had a similar experience at the Gadgetshop, he was asked to come in in a Satyrday for a "trial" worked the whole day, the manager said he would call him, when he didn't get a call back he rang the manager who asked him if he had covered cashing up, my friends son said no, so the manager asked if he could go to a different store on a Sunday, at that point He asked if he would be paid and the manager said it was a further trial so he said no, basically like your friend Amy ..he gave them 8 hours free, he was only 17 as well, disgusting tactics

LeatherTrumpet 05-03-2018 06:47 AM

Good tactic that, good for the bottom line and for profits

AnnieK 05-03-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 9904685)
No, paid nothing. I suggested he text back asking to be reimbursed for his time. I have no idea how it would work though as he never clocked on, they could argue he was only there an hour but he was there 5ish hours Saturday, because when he said so another person in our snapchat group said he was entitled to 15 minutes of break time

By law you are entitled to a minimum 20 minute break if you work over 6 hours, anything less and you don't have to have a break. It sounds like a working interview but it sounds like they were taking advantage of his willingness. Its a shoddy thing to do but I doubt he will be able to get any pay for it unless he was told he would be paid for his time, verbally or in writing (in writing would be better as otherwise its their word against his).

thesheriff443 05-03-2018 07:59 AM

This happens all the time in all sorts of jobs including, cleaning.
You have to ask is there is a job or hours available if I do come in.

Jay. 05-03-2018 08:12 AM

same thing happened to me in mountain warehouse a few years ago, worked 4 hours and they said they'd get back to me after, ****ing ***** :nono:

Amy Jade 05-03-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesheriff443 (Post 9904795)
This happens all the time in all sorts of jobs including, cleaning.
You have to ask is there is a job or hours available if I do come in.

They did speak about hours, he mentioned that. They were looking for part time staff. They told him overtime was available and he told them he was willing to take any hours basically.

I would understand if they said other candidates had filled the positions but its unprofessional to shoot a text over at 11pm saying there are no hours. I believe they took advantage of him.

Amy Jade 05-03-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 9904778)
Good tactic that, good for the bottom line and for profits

Yes lets exploit prople for profit. Hilarious.

Niamh. 05-03-2018 10:16 AM

Very unfair of them to do that imo, legally speaking I don't know where he'd stand but morally it's a ****ty thing to do

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 05-03-2018 10:19 AM

LeatherTrumpet 05-03-2018 10:46 AM

this is, of course, anecdotal and one side of the tale....