ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   His Dark Materials [Begins November 3rd, BBC One] (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336519)

Lostie! 13-03-2018 12:25 PM

His Dark Materials [Begins November 3rd, BBC One]

It's been a while since this was announced but we're finally getting some more information so I figured it's worth having a thread to add more as it comes.

Jack Thorne will helm the series and he seems pretty intent on adapting it faithfully so hopefully this won't run into the same problems as the Golden Compass movie with certain themes being watered down

Dafne Keen has been cast to play the lead role of Lyra and Lin-Manuel Miranda is apparently to play Lee Scoresby, and Tom Hooper will be directing.

Also, the first series will have 8 episodes adapting Northern Lights (looks like some people thought it was 8 episodes for the entire trilogy which thankfully is untrue)

I loved Northern Lights (and I'm a few chapters into The Subtle Knife atm and it's off to a good start) so if this is done well it could be a great show. It's good that HDM is getting another chance for a screen adaptation after the way the movie flopped.

Tom4784 13-03-2018 01:40 PM

Is it a co-production with a US studio? Lin-Manuel Miranda is quite a big signing for a BBC show.

Oliver_W 13-03-2018 04:27 PM

I've not heard of either of those performers, but a quick google of each seems promising!

I love the books, so I hope this is a good adaption! I didn't even mind the movie adaption tbh.

Lostie! 13-03-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 9917358)
Is it a co-production with a US studio? Lin-Manuel Miranda is quite a big signing for a BBC show.

Yeah it's being produced by Bad Wolf and New Line Cinema. Whether Lin-Manuel Miranda has actually joined or is merely in negotiations seems to vary depending on the report atm.

I can't wait to see who's playing Mrs Coulter tbh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9917496)
I've not heard of either of those performers, but a quick google of each seems promising!

I love the books, so I hope this is a good adaption! I didn't even mind the movie adaption tbh.

I watched it when it was in cinemas (just over a decade ago now :shocked:) and liked it but I hadn't read the book at that point but I've always been aware that the movie apparently sanitised the more anti religious subject matter. Since I've now read Northern Lights I need to rewatch so I can compare it properly, but I already know I'll be annoyed by them completely cutting off the book's ending just because they wanted to save it to open the sequel that never happened.

Marsh. 13-03-2018 10:02 PM

Bad Wolf? Please don't tell me Russell T Davies is involved with this? :suspect:

Lostie! 13-03-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9917929)
Bad Wolf? Please don't tell me Russell T Davies is involved with this? :suspect:

He's not actually part of Bad Wolf is he? It was founded by Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner.

Marsh. 13-03-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 9917949)
He's not actually part of Bad Wolf is he? It was founded by Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner.

Oh good. :clap1:

Lostie! 14-06-2018 04:05 PM

Clarke Peters, Ruth Wilson and James McAvoy cast as the Jordan College Master, Mrs Coulter and Lord Asriel!

Interesting choice for Asriel, not how I picture him but a great name to have attached to the cast and I've always liked him so I'm intrigued so see his portrayal.

I've been waiting for Mrs Coulter's casting since she's such a brilliant character. Not too familiar with Ruth Wilson but I can definitely see her as Coulter and by all accounts she's a great actress.

And I loved Clarke Peters in Person of Interest so very happy with his casting.

Lostie! 31-07-2018 12:25 PM

New press release with more casting announcements

Quote:

Dafne Keen takes on the lead role of Lyra, the young protagonist of the story who lives in Jordan College, Oxford. Placed there at the request of her Uncle, Lord Asriel (James McAvoy) she lives a sheltered life amongst the scholars and college staff while under the watchful protection of The Master (Clarke Peters) and Librarian Scholar Charles (Ian Gelder).

When the glamorous and mesmeric Mrs Coulter (Ruth Wilson) enters Lyra’s life she embarks upon a dangerous journey of discovery from Oxford to London. Here she meets Father MacPhail (Will Keen), Lord Boreal (Ariyon Bakare) and journalist Adele Starminster (Georgina Campbell) at a glittering society party where she first hears about the sinister General Oblation Board.

Lyra is subsequently thrown into the nomadic world of the boat dwelling Gyptians - Ma Costa (Anne-Marie Duff), Farder Coram (James Cosmo), John Faa (Lucian Msamati), Raymond Van Geritt (Mat Fraser), Jack Verhoeven (Geoff Bell) and Benjamin de Ruyter (Simon Manyonda) who take her North in her quest.

Once in the North she meets charismatic aeronaut and adventurer Lee Scoresby (Lin-Manuel Miranda) who joins them on their epic journey and who becomes one of Lyra’s closest allies.

Talented young actors joining the cast include Lewin Lloyd as Roger Parslow, Daniel Frogson as Tony Costa, Tyler Howitt as Billy Costa and Archie Barnes as Pantalaimon.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...dark-materials

Oliver_W 31-07-2018 01:30 PM

****ing hell, what an amazing cast!

Lostie! 01-08-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10118163)
****ing hell, what an amazing cast!

I notice casting for Serafina and Iorek hasn't been announced yet, I'm interested to see who'll play them (well, voice in Iorek's case :laugh:) since they're such big roles.

Lostie! 01-08-2018 05:08 PM

:flutter:

Lostie! 24-08-2018 07:50 PM

Serafina cast!!

I didn't realise before googling her that she's Frankie from Lip Service :laugh:

Marsh. 24-08-2018 08:17 PM

What's Lip Service?

Oliver_W 24-08-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10120505)

Hester <3 (probably, I don't remember Pan ever being a hare)

Did you read Book of Dust 1?

Lostie! 24-08-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10169894)
What's Lip Service?

That lesbian drama that used to be on BBC 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10170114)
Hester <3 (probably, I don't remember Pan ever being a hare)

Did you read Book of Dust 1?

I'm still on The Amber Spyglass, I need to speed up! :laugh:

Marsh. 25-08-2018 03:03 PM

Nawt Liam watching lesbian dramas. :creep:

Lostie! 11-09-2018 05:53 PM

A second series already commissioned :clap1:

Lostie! 13-09-2018 11:46 AM

HBO is now co-producing and has international distribution rights.

I have such high expectations for this!

Lostie! 21-09-2018 11:11 AM

Omid Djalili is playing Dr Lanselius

Lostie! 27-11-2018 09:46 PM

According to Ruth Wilson, this should be airing next year! Autumn 2019 would be perfect :fc:

https://i.imgur.com/9iOPP9q.jpg

Wizard. 27-11-2018 09:50 PM

Doing this for uni shame this ain’t out yet then I wouldn’t bother reading!

Oliver_W 28-11-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley. (Post 10364448)
Doing this for uni shame this ain’t out yet then I wouldn’t bother reading!

What are you studying?

Lostie! 05-12-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10364442)
According to Ruth Wilson, this should be airing next year! Autumn 2019 would be perfect :fc:

https://i.imgur.com/9iOPP9q.jpg

And now Lin-Manuel Miranda has said it will be airing "end of next year" so this seems pretty much definite now :amazed: Autumn is perfect for it too!

I really hope series 1 ends with the ending of Northern Lights. People who haven't read it will be shook.

Oliver_W 05-12-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10374676)
And now Lin-Manuel Miranda has said it will be airing "end of next year" so this seems pretty much definite now :amazed: Autumn is perfect for it too!

I really hope series 1 ends with the ending of Northern Lights. People who haven't read it will be shook.

Especially if they have seen the movie, and want to know about what fun adventures Lyra and Roger will be getting up to :devil:

Lostie! 24-02-2019 06:09 PM

First teaser!! (thanks to Rob for making me aware of this on Facebook :blush:)

Oliver_W 25-02-2019 08:11 AM

Really looking forward to this!!

Lostie! 25-02-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10457755)
Really looking forward to this!!

Same, can't wait to get a look at the daemons and panserbjorne.

I don't recall the Master of Jordan College being that prominent in Northern Lights beyond
Spoiler:

trying to kill Lord Asriel / giving Lyra the alethiometer
so I'm wondering if they've expanded his role given Clarke Peters apparently being one of the top billed cast members.

Oliver_W 25-02-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10458129)
Same, can't wait to get a look at the daemons and panserbjorne.

I don't recall the Master of Jordan College being that prominent in Northern Lights beyond
Spoiler:

trying to kill Lord Asriel / giving Lyra the alethiometer
so I'm wondering if they've expanded his role given Clarke Peters apparently being one of the top billed cast members.

Maybe it's just because of how popular Three Billboards was, so they're playing him up for the trailers?

I guess it also depends on how the story is paced - if Lyra is still in Jordan/Oxford for two or three episodes, he might just be "around" ?

Marsh. 25-02-2019 06:20 PM

Don't like the actress who was the villain in Luther so I'm apprehensive.

Lostie! 25-02-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10458137)
Maybe it's just because of how popular Three Billboards was, so they're playing him up for the trailers?

I guess it also depends on how the story is paced - if Lyra is still in Jordan/Oxford for two or three episodes, he might just be "around" ?

Hmm good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10458200)

https://i.imgur.com/T45y2VN.gif

Marsh. 25-02-2019 06:27 PM

:joker:

Livia 25-02-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10458200)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10458212)

Made me lol....

Lostie! 17-05-2019 07:22 PM

New, longer trailer!!!

Looks so good!! The daemons and Iorek :flutter:

Wizard. 17-05-2019 07:47 PM

I just read Northern Lights, it’s quite a challenge for a children’s book took me ages but I loved it! Need to read the others now.

Oliver_W 17-05-2019 08:57 PM

Looks brilliant!

Lostie! 06-06-2019 04:35 PM

Will Parry cast! (presumably for series 2)

Lostie! 19-07-2019 09:05 AM

Full trailer was released at Comic Con!!!

Looks so so so good. The production values :clap1: Ruth Wilson seems perfect as Mrs Coulter!

Also

:flutter:

Oliver_W 21-07-2019 06:32 PM

looking good :D

Lostie! 21-07-2019 07:56 PM

I wonder why they haven't revealed Iorek's voice actor yet :think:

We still need to see a glimpse of the witches too. I like that they're holding back on a few things though