ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   His Dark Materials [Begins November 3rd, BBC One] (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336519)

Rob! 04-11-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10705990)
I was so happy with the first episode! Also can we just appreciate that title sequence (which actually contains a lot of foreshadowing for even books 2 and 3) :worship:

And I thought the daemon CGI was brilliant. The production values all round are epic.

Yes I loved the title sequence. Very Game of Thrones

Wizard. 04-11-2019 07:12 PM

One thing which the film did really well was the way the daemon's transformed and the transition of the dust particles when they did. In this it seems like in one scene Pan is a ferret and then in another scene he's something else.

Rob! 05-11-2019 02:45 AM

Can I make a polite request that anybody who’s read the books says the stuff that hasn’t been in the tv series in spoilers? I’d love to remain completely unspoiled as this goes on.

Ammi 05-11-2019 04:03 AM

...this is going to be such a pleasure watch on Sunday evenings..:love:...Ruth Wilson is a tremendous Mrs Coulter...:lovedup:..

Lostie! 10-11-2019 02:28 PM

This HBO promo for the rest of the season is epic :clap1:

The bears at the end look so ****ing good. And Lyra's "show him he's nothing" :worship:

Oliver_W 10-11-2019 08:05 PM

Non-book readers - can you understand what's going on? I love the books, but I wonder how those who've not read it are finding the show.

Lostie! 13-11-2019 04:47 PM

Loooved episode 2!

I have to say I love how they're expanding on certain elements and characters from the books while still remaining faithful to the core story. They're striking the perfect balance between staying true but also providing new things for book readers. I'm enjoying the increased presence of Boreal, MacPhail, Roger and the Master and how seamlessly the extra content fits into the established events of Northern Lights.

The golden monkey attacking Pan was as uncomfortable to watch as I hoped it would be. And Ruth's Mrs Coulter is still blowing me away. So so perfect.

Ammi 14-11-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10711128)
Loooved episode 2!

I have to say I love how they're expanding on certain elements and characters from the books while still remaining faithful to the core story. They're striking the perfect balance between staying true but also providing new things for book readers. I'm enjoying the increased presence of Boreal, MacPhail and the Master and how seamlessly the extra content fits into the established events of Northern Lights.

The golden monkey attacking Pan was as uncomfortable to watch as I hoped it would be. And Ruth's Mrs Coulter is still blowing me away. So so perfect.

...yeah....the last bit of that especially, Lostie...the attack was a tense/hard watch and felt really quite brutal...and the extremes of Mrs Coulter are captured perfectly by Ruth...that was a brilliant casting...

Oliver_W 19-11-2019 04:15 PM

Anyone been following this? If you've not read the books, can you follow it okay?

Cherie 19-11-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10715781)
Anyone been following this? If you've not read the books, can you follow it okay?

I haven’t read the books, and it’s fine, wasn’t too sure what the animals represented to begin with but thats clear now lol

Lostie! 20-11-2019 08:24 PM

Third episode was a bit slower but it was mainly an episode to set up Lyra's journey north. Can't wait for Iorek ****ing Byrnison to arrive next week! :flutter:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/ZBtsd...k99r/giphy.gif

I was initially slightly disappointed when they revealed Grumman = John Parry already. I was mindblown when I got to that in the books and was looking forward to viewers who haven't read them reacting to the reveal. But that said, introducing John and Will Parry early (if not physically) is a really cool way to adapt the story and build up future storylines. The way they've expanded on the characters from the books has been one of my favourite things about this adaptation.

My favourite scene from the episode has to be Mrs Coulter and her daemon's synchronised attack on Benjamin and his demon / his suicide and that striking image of his daemon evaporating in front of the monkey. So cool all round.

Livia 20-11-2019 08:32 PM

Agree with all of that, Lostie. And oooo yeah, the bear…. can't wait to see him. I think the whole thing has been utterly brilliant. I was so disappointed when they didn't follow up the Golden Compass film, but this is hitting the spot.

Oh, and brilliant casting with Mrs Coulter. She's terrifying.

Marsh. 20-11-2019 08:38 PM

Started the books so I'll binge this in the new year sometime. :love:

Livia 20-11-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10716942)
Started the books so I'll binge this in the new year sometime. :love:

I always think it's better to read the books first. I couldn't put them down.

Lostie! 24-11-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10716926)
Agree with all of that, Lostie. And oooo yeah, the bear…. can't wait to see him. I think the whole thing has been utterly brilliant. I was so disappointed when they didn't follow up the Golden Compass film, but this is hitting the spot.

Oh, and brilliant casting with Mrs Coulter. She's terrifying.

I wasn't familiar with Ruth before so had no set expectations when she was cast but she's been just perfect :flutter: :clap1:

Marsh. 24-11-2019 05:48 PM

I think she's miscast :idc:

Ammi 25-11-2019 05:06 AM

...I loved last night..:love:...each week it just gets stronger and stronger and more absorbing, I think...Dafne Keen is a gorgeous little actress..:love:...and finally meeting the armoured bear didn’t disappoint...Serafina Pekkala has to be the best name ever, I’m changing my name by deed poll...

Ammi 25-11-2019 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10719711)

https://media2.giphy.com/media/QxvTe...bNn/source.gif

Cherie 25-11-2019 08:10 AM

Quick question, why is Pan different sizes in different scenes?

Cherie 26-11-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10720270)

Bump

Lostie! 26-11-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10719711)

What the **** did you just ****ing say about Ruth, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're ****ing dead, kiddo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10720270)

It's not that he's different sizes, but rather he can change his form as Lyra is still a young child. Daemons only settle into one form when their human reaches adolescence.

Lostie! 26-11-2019 11:16 PM

Loved the latest episode. So good to finally see Iorek, Lee, Hester and Kaisa. Can't wait for Serafina to arrive now :clap1: The panserbjorne look so good, these production values are cinematic :flutter:

The scene of Lyra and Pan watching the northern lights :love: I love anything wintry and Arctic based so I'm glad we've reached the heavily North based portion of the book now :laugh:

I feel so sad for the golden monkey :( Although Mrs Coulter's cruelty towards him (which I don't remember being in the books?) is a great way to illustrate her self loathing and flesh her out even more.

I have a feeling episode is gonna be a particularly good one.
Spoiler:

It's called The Lost Boy which is the chapter of the book where Lyra finds Tony Makarios after he's been severed from his daemon and dies. The show has given Billy Costa's daemon the same name as Tony's in the book and he hasn't appeared himself so I'm guessing Billy will die next week :sad:

(book spoilers in the tags)

Marsh. 27-11-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10721719)
What the **** did you just ****ing say about Ruth, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're ****ing dead, kiddo

It's not that he's different sizes, but rather he can change his form as Lyra is still a young child. Daemons only settle into one form when their human reaches adolescence.

:joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker:

Ammi 27-11-2019 06:57 AM

...get him told, Lostie...miscast indeed, more a mispost...

Lostie! 27-11-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10721808)
...get him told, Lostie...miscast indeed, more a mispost...

:joker: :clap1:

Marsh watching his credibility fall away when he watches and sees how good she is

https://i0.wp.com/66.media.tumblr.co...40%2C280&ssl=1

Cherie 27-11-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostie! (Post 10721719)

Right although I thought he changed from small fox size back to stoat size again and then back to fox size :laugh: confusing!

Lostie! 08-12-2019 04:18 PM

Well last episode was devastating as I expected! Anne Marie Duff was phenomenal in Billy's death scene :worship: There's a fair bit of anger over the omission of him clutching a dead fish in place of his missing daemon and as much as I wish they included that, I thought the episode was still brilliant.

Really surprised by the official introduction of Will :shocked: I wasn't massively interested in his scenes this episode just because the main storyline was so engrossing but I'm really intrigued by his early introduction. It works well too because what we see with him and his mother would have been happening while Northern Lights was taking place anyway.

Serafina finally arriving too :worship: She was great. Not 100% on them giving her short hair but the rest of her character design and Ruta's portrayal were perfect.

Bolvangar at the end was suitably sinister, can't wait to see more of it tonight.

Lostie! 08-12-2019 04:22 PM

Also I'd have no idea David Suchet voices Kaisa if I didn't already know. He's such a bloody versatile actor

Jessica. 09-12-2019 06:37 PM

I am loving this show!

Nicky91 24-12-2019 10:57 AM

i am loving this series so far :) it fills the gap the ending GoT left very nicely :hee:

James Cosmo :clap2:

Ruth Wilson is actually one of my mom's fave actresses of now :love:

Lostie! 31-12-2019 09:23 PM

So I've been neglecting posting about this for the last few episodes since I've been so awol but the finale was phenomenal :lovedup: Genuinely one of my favourite episodes of TV I've ever seen.

Where they might not have reached the full potential of certain big scenes from the book over the course of the season, Roger and Salcilia's deaths actually managed to be worse (in a good way) in the TV series. Even though I knew it was coming that scene still managed to genuinely disturb me. Salcilia's "Roger, I don't want to leave you" hit me especially hard.

But the whole episode was just brilliant. The character work, the emotion, the gorgeous visuals, everything. :worship: Oh and Dafne Keen was so so good in her last scene!

Oliver_W 31-12-2019 10:21 PM

Yeah the whole show was great. I liked that Will was introduced in the first season, I guess his storyline was happening more or less in sync with Lyra's, and them crossing over to Citt at about the same time makes sense.

Lostie! 23-07-2020 09:56 PM

Series 2 trailer!

Nicky91 26-10-2020 04:54 PM

Lostie! 08-11-2020 03:01 PM

Toniiiiight

Lostie! 04-12-2020 08:58 PM

So I'm loving season 2. Mary communicating with the angels last week gave me chills.

Pretty sure the voice in that scene was Sophie Okonedo as Xaphania, who also did the opening narration for this episode and the season opener. Continuing the tradition of introducing certain characters earlier than the books did, one of my favourite things about this adaptation.