ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   JK Rowling likes transphobic tweet (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336804)

Greg! 24-03-2018 12:20 AM

JK Rowling likes transphobic tweet

Quote:

JK Rowling has come under fire from her fans after she appeared to 'like' a tweet which referred to transgender women as 'men in dresses'.

The tweet was posted during a row about the status of transgender women in the Labour party.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ansphobia.html

She's such a disappointment. And I don't buy her claim that it was an accident.

MB. 24-03-2018 12:22 AM

Well I suppose that's one way for her to take the attention away from her endorsing a perpetrator of domestic violence

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:23 AM

People need to look a little deeper. Twitter doesn't allow that so you get ridiculous overreactions like this.

Greg! 24-03-2018 12:24 AM

Oh what a coincidence that she's "accidentally" done this before.

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 9929448)
Well I suppose that's one way for her to take the attention away from her endorsing a perpetrator of domestic violence

You mean the domestic violence that police found no evidence of, he's never been charged for, the accusations the other party withdrew and engaged in a joint statement after getting the payout she was more concerned with?

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg! (Post 9929451)

Oh what a coincidence that she's "accidentally" done this before.

There's nothing transphobic about that though?

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:28 AM

I regret posting now, I see a repeat of the thread we had here only a few days ago. :joker:

Oliver_W 24-03-2018 12:28 AM

If I were feeling charitable, I'd say she skimread the tweet, and was liking it to show support to the MP(?) who said she got yelled out when she was 18 and asked for a page three calendar to be taken down, and the accident was missing the "men in dresses" bit.

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:32 AM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...1848103267.jpg

Yes, aggressively ordering someone to do what you want is definitely the way to go about it.

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

"she's written books about people turning into cats and dead people, but trans folk are beyond all comprehension?"
Where do they find these brainless idiots????

MB. 24-03-2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9929453)
You mean the domestic violence that police found no evidence of, he's never been charged for, the accusations the other party withdrew and engaged in a joint statement after getting the payout she was more concerned with?

No, I mean the domestic violence that his own managers filed written evidence of in court and that is referred to when it states in their joint statement that she made no false claims for financial gain

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 9929463)
No, I mean the domestic violence that his own managers filed written evidence of in court and that is referred to when it states in their joint statement that she made no false claims for financial gain

"Written evidence" being her word and hers alone.

MB. 24-03-2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9929465)
"Written evidence" being her word and hers alone.

The written evidence was written and filed by his former managers, as I said in my post

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:43 AM

Such strong evidence it led to zero convictions.

But, regarding the Depp scandal, it amazed me the people who spoke out against that (in the public eye) and yet would fawn over your Meryl Streeps and your Woody Allens.

MB. 24-03-2018 12:49 AM

And the fact that it was setted doesn't automatically imply innocence either

Also mmm that Meryl Streep sure is one of Hollywood's greatest monsters, she must be brought to justice

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 9929476)
And the fact that it was setted doesn't automatically imply innocence either

No, but innocent until proven guilty seemed to get forgotten in the little witch hunt that followed him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 9929476)
Also mmm that Meryl Streep sure is one of Hollywood's greatest monsters, she must be brought to justice

I was referring to her being such an open supporter of the recent Time's Up and Me Too movements whilst simultaneously being a supporter of Roman Polanski, the child rapist.

Maru 24-03-2018 12:54 AM

What is it about social media that makes people go out of their way to check other people's likes & other activities for what their political affiliations are? I'm starting to think the connecting with other people concept is a bit of a scam, that what it often does is enable people to stalk & harass each other... tbh, TiBB has gotten like that too. There never used to be this fixation on accosting folk for not agreeing with each other on their particular views... I remember when there was the interacting and getting to know each other and stuff... now it's I need to know them so I can determine if they're my enemy or not.

Marsh. 24-03-2018 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maru (Post 9929481)
What is it about social media that makes people go out of their way to check other people's likes & other activities for what their political affiliations are? I'm starting to think the connecting with other people concept is a bit of a scam, that what it often does is enable people to stalk & harass each other... tbh, TiBB has gotten like that too. There never used to be this fixation on accosting folk for not agreeing with each other on their particular views... I remember when there was the interacting and getting to know each other and stuff... now it's I need to know them so I can determine if they're my enemy or not.

It is dangerous. It's like agreeing with one poster on one topic spilling into another where you're accused of agreeing with everything that poster says/believes and people automatically assigning their opinions to you.

MB. 24-03-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maru (Post 9929481)

I'd say there's a difference between forum members and someone like JK Rowling, who has over 14 million Twitter followers and as such creates 'news' with every tweet she writes, retweets or likes... she's entitled to have her own opinions, write about them and like tweets about them, but once they're out in the open, there's a certain responsibility there that most of us don't carry

Marsh. 24-03-2018 01:00 AM

Also dangerous that within the click of a button, no actual words of her own people are assigning all manner of opinions as hers without her doing anything. :joker: Twitter is insane.

Maru 24-03-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9929483)
It is dangerous. It's like agreeing with one poster on one topic spilling into another where you're accused of agreeing with everything that poster says/believes and people automatically assigning their opinions to you.

Yeah... I find it pretty disturbing actually. That someone would monitor and put so much emotional effort into analyzing someones particular views and motives... Twitter is the absolute worst for enabling these stalker types. Thankfully I can just deregister from there without it affecting my work... there's just something not right about the way people are carrying on on these sites.

Maru 24-03-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 9929486)
I'd say there's a difference between forum members and someone like JK Rowling, who has over 14 million Twitter followers and as such creates 'news' with every tweet she writes, retweets or likes... she's entitled to have her own opinions, write about them and like tweets about them, but once they're out in the open, there's a certain responsibility there that most of us don't carry

She's a fiction writer though, not a legislator.

Tom4784 24-03-2018 01:03 AM

It sounds to me like the original tweet was probably referring to that labour mess where a trans person who hadn't go through the transition was made Women's officer which is quite ridiculous. Post op, I could understand that calling them a man in a dress is transphobic but if you haven't started transitioning then the term 'man in a dress' is quite....well....factual?

The trans community is cannabilising itself by attacking anyone and everyone that makes a mistake or says something ignorant whether or not the ignorance is innocent or not, people are just gonna push back against trans rights and such if it continues. People like the journalist quoted above by Marsh need to realise that you don't win hearts and minds by attacking people until they do what you say. Gay rights have come as far as they have, not through the gays attacking anyone and everyone but through education and understanding over the generations. in most countries where gay rights have been written into law, it wouldn't have been enough for just the gays to demand it, it's the allies that have helped push Gay Rights acts into law. Allies are vital and you don't create allies and dispel ignorance by screaming at people to do what you say.

MB. 24-03-2018 01:04 AM

Liked tweets can appear on the timelines of JK's followers, there's no 'stalking' involved

MB. 24-03-2018 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maru (Post 9929489)
She's a fiction writer though, not a legislator.

But regardless, she's still a high profile media figure who would use a platform like Twitter with that in mind... I can't imagine she wouldn't be conscious of the fact that anything she likes/retweets would be construed as an endorsement/reflection of her views, and when something relatively controversial slips through the net, then there would have almost definitely been a reason behind that