ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Disney princesses being gay, promiscuous etc (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337213)

Cal. 07-04-2018 10:16 AM

Disney princesses being gay, promiscuous etc

There’s a lot of talk and hope that Disney begins bringing out Disney princesses that are gay, promiscuous, transgender etc to move times along. A lot of people oppose this with the argument that this sort of thing should be kept out of children’s films and be tackled once they get older. I’m just looking for everybody on here’s opinions on it really, are you open to it or do you not think it should happen? And I’m not just talking about Disney princesses here if you want to bring other children’s films and TV into it, it’s just Disney princesses are the most obvious example.

Cherie 07-04-2018 10:20 AM

Disney is aimed at pre teens, there is an PG rating on films for a reason, how are Disney going to get around the PG Certificate with bed hopping Princesses
Trangender and homosexuality can be dealt with in kids films yes.

Withano 07-04-2018 10:21 AM

It should happen. Wtf not? Queen Elsa being lesbian in the next movie would be a cute addition.

Oliver_W 07-04-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 9946935)
Disney is aimed at pre teens, there is an PG rating on films for a reason, how are Disney going to get around the PG Certificate with bed hopping Princesses, trangender and homosexuality can be dealt with in kids films yes.

Princesses who are traps or bedhoppers is a bit inappropriate, but if the romance between two princesses were to be treated exactly as one between a prince and princess, where's the harm?

Underscore 07-04-2018 10:23 AM

We shouldn't be feeding kids heteronormative stories because that's one of the contributing factors to kids growing up thinking it should only be a man and a woman.

An LGBT couple here and there wouldn't be bad for Disney and it most certainly wouldn't be bad for kids.

jaxie 07-04-2018 10:24 AM

Good question Cal. Personally I think things should be age appropriate, particularly the Disney brand, and I don't think sexuality and promiscuity are really appropriate subjects for small children. Transgender I think is too confusing and too little known about it to start promoting it in children's movies.

I think we live in a climate where most people can be accepting without having to push subjects relating to sexuality on small children.

I think the teen market in relation to movies and children's literature is where such subjects should drift in.

Cherie 07-04-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 9946940)
Princesses who are traps or bedhoppers is a bit inappropriate, but if the romance between two princesses were to be treated exactly as one between a prince and princess, where's the harm?

No harm at all I was responding to the promiscuous aspect, I already said transgender and homosexuality can be addressed.

Withano 07-04-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9946942)
Good question Cal. Personally I think things should be age appropriate, particularly the Disney brand, and I don't think sexuality and promiscuity are really appropriate subjects for small children. Transgender I think is too confusing and too little known about it to start promoting it in children's movies.

I think we live in a climate where most people can be accepting without having to push subjects relating to sexuality on small children.

Heterosexuality has been an appropriate subject for small children with Disney since forever? I dont understand that part of your argument?

Livia 07-04-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 9946935)
Disney is aimed at pre teens, there is an PG rating on films for a reason, how are Disney going to get around the PG Certificate with bed hopping Princesses
Trangender and homosexuality can be dealt with in kids films yes.

I have nothing to add...

jaxie 07-04-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underscore (Post 9946941)
We shouldn't be feeding kids heteronormative stories because that's one of the contributing factors to kids growing up thinking it should only be a man and a woman.

An LGBT couple here and there wouldn't be bad for Disney and it most certainly wouldn't be bad for kids.

That isn't really true. We didn't have stories in our very young childhood that covered sexuality and promiscuity and most people I know are perfectly fine with same sex relationships.

I think if sexuality were introduced into a fairytale then it would need to be very carefully done. Children should not be force fed sex, love is a different matter entirely.

Underscore 07-04-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9946955)
That isn't really true. We didn't have stories in our very young childhood that covered sexuality and promiscuity and most people I know are perfectly fine with same sex relationships.

I think if sexuality were introduced into a fairytale then it would need to be very carefully done. Children should not be force fed sex, love is a different matter entirely.

I wasn't referring to sex though, I was referring to for example having a couple that were a man + man, woman + woman, man + woman.

Just a little variation you know, I know my parents never sat me down and said to me LGBT was a thing. I learned it all myself eventually, but I think definitely in these learning stages it would be good to have this light level stuff.

jaxie 07-04-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Withano (Post 9946949)
Heterosexuality has been an appropriate subject for small children with Disney since forever? I dont understand that part of your argument?

Because heterosexuality is not promoted as an issue. All children, until they start growing us in labs, have a mother and a father. That's just a fact.

parmnion 07-04-2018 10:36 AM

How will they be able to show that a princess was actually a bloke in a previous life?

Ive yet to see one that doesn't look exactly like a lady.

Underscore 07-04-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9946962)
Because heterosexuality is not promoted as an issue. All children, until they start growing us in labs, have a mother and a father. That's just a fact.

So? Doesn't mean kids should not be told that LGBT is a thing?

What is wrong with two princes or two princesses?

Lostie! 07-04-2018 10:37 AM

LGBT characters absolutely would be a great step. Promiscuity would be inappropriate for a kids movie though.

Withano 07-04-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9946962)

Would homosexuality be promoted as an issue?

I think you’re overthinking it haha. It would be the exact same disney story but the guy marries the guy, or the girl kisses the girl (etc) at the end.

Withano 07-04-2018 10:40 AM

Just researched in to it a bit, and theres already been a gay kiss on one of the Disney star wars films

jaxie 07-04-2018 10:46 AM

I think if you look at the little robber girl and Gerda in the snow queen for instance, I think there are some references to same sex relationships in some stories.

Star wars is aimed at a slightly older demographic and is much more appropriate.

Amy Jade 07-04-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 9946965)
How will they be able to show that a princess was actually a bloke in a previous life?

Ive yet to see one that doesn't look exactly like a lady.

A flashback into their childhood perhaps? Lot's of Disney movies have those.

Eddie. 07-04-2018 11:03 AM

I’m here for LGBT princesses, especially a Transgender/Lesbian one, but no to the princesss being promiscuous...

Withano 07-04-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 9946978)
I think if you look at the little robber girl and Gerda in the snow queen for instance, I think there are some references to same sex relationships in some stories.

Star wars is aimed at a slightly older demographic and is much more appropriate.

How old do you have to be to see an onscreen heterosexual romance?
How old do you have to be to see an onscreen homosexual romance?

Amy Jade 07-04-2018 11:05 AM

Wasn't there a gay kiss in Star vs. The Forces of Evil and Good Luck Charlie on Disney Channel too?

Amy Jade 07-04-2018 11:07 AM

The two in the bottom right look like two guys also imo

Withano 07-04-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 9947004)
Wasn't there a gay kiss in Star vs. The Forces of Evil and Good Luck Charlie on Disney Channel too?

two nameless characters in a crowd of kissers, when will queen elsa

Also two lesbians top right

Northern Monkey 07-04-2018 11:20 AM

I reckon for older kids cool but i’d say Disney would be too young tbh.They’re usually a ‘U’ rating i think which means kids of any age can go.Depending on the age of the kids many parents won’t have had that conversation with their kids yet.