ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Mexico fined by Fifa over a "homophobic chant" (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342536)

LeatherTrumpet 21-06-2018 09:41 AM

Mexico fined by Fifa over a "homophobic chant"

"PUTO" is what they chant to opposing goalies as they take a goal kick (lots of English clubs sing "yor sh1t aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh" as the kick is taken. Rangers fans for example sing "paedos, paedos, paedos" to the celtic fans and so forth.(the idea is to wind up opposibg fans and is not some comment on society)

Mexicans have long shouted a slang word for a male sex worker at games, which gay rights groups argue is homophobic.

FIFA slapped the Mexicans with a CHF 10,000 fine for what it called “discriminatory and insulting chants” during their surprise 1-0 win over Germany on Sunday.

The chant was widely heard at Mexico games in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, when FIFA took no action, but the governing body has since launched a clamp-down. Other Latin American teams, including Argentina and Chile, have also been fined.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1JH0A2

Good old Fifa...

Livia 21-06-2018 09:44 AM

Oh dear, we can't have anyone offended, can we.

Does this mean that swear words derogatory to women will also be banned and incur fines? Or is it just words that upset gay people?

It's ****ing madness.

Nicky91 21-06-2018 09:45 AM

silly homophobic mexicans then, ruining their best moment (winning over world champions Germany) with this

Livia 21-06-2018 09:47 AM

Oh Nicky....

Nicky91 21-06-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10050852)
Oh Nicky....

it was mexico's best moment ever, winning against Germany was so unexpected and a absolute Delight

i hate that something awful as this has to ruin the positivity for them

LeatherTrumpet 21-06-2018 09:49 AM

it hasnt, they dont give 2 hoots

Toy Soldier 21-06-2018 11:14 AM

LT pretending that the "Paedos" chant isn't sectarian / based in the idea that Catholic priests are paedophiles.

Come on LT. I mean, I know the sectarianism / violence and rivalry between the two clubs is significantly diminished since Rangers was cancelled, but let's not start pretending that Old Firm chants are based harmless friendly banter :facepalm:. I mean it might fool some of the Southern lot, but I grew up in Ayrshire ffs :joker:.

Marsh. 21-06-2018 11:15 AM

Omg, how dare society try to move on from racism and homophobia. It's only a laugh guys.

bitontheslide 21-06-2018 11:28 AM

Fifa bringing attention to it will likely just make the crowd do it more, let's see what happens at the next game. It's interesting that they fine Mexico for this and yet turn a blind eye to sepp blatter attending a world cup match when banned entirely from all matters related to football, including attending matches :idc:

Rob! 21-06-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10050850)

Does this mean that swear words derogatory to women will also be banned and incur fines? Or is it just words that upset gay people?

It's ****ing madness.

It’s amazing how the free speech argument only comes up in situations like this.

LeatherTrumpet 21-06-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10050984)
LT pretending that the "Paedos" chant isn't sectarian / based in the idea that Catholic priests are paedophiles.

Come on LT. I mean, I know the sectarianism / violence and rivalry between the two clubs is significantly diminished since Rangers was cancelled, but let's not start pretending that Old Firm chants are based harmless friendly banter :facepalm:. I mean it might fool some of the Southern lot, but I grew up in Ayrshire ffs :joker:.

Good, i dislike cults of all flavours and catholicsm is one of the vilest of all

Kizzy 21-06-2018 11:41 AM

It's foozbal... there will be chants, it's (moslty) men being all base and such howling like bald chimps at anything and everything in 'support' of their chosen team.

There needs to be a equal football field though, if one offensive chant is banned they all should be.

Toy Soldier 21-06-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10051012)
Good, i dislike cults of all flavours and catholicsm is one of the vilest of all

Other than certain football fanatics. Apparently.

Northern Monkey 21-06-2018 12:00 PM

Yeah this stuff happens a footy games.Last one i went to many moons ago was against some Russian team and the Leeds fans were shouting “Ooh ah Chechny-ya!Ooh ah Chechnya” and “He’s just a **** Russian bastard!”

Twosugars 21-06-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10051012)

lovely churches tho

Cherie 21-06-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10050984)

Have they been fined? of course not.....

Tom4784 21-06-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10050850)

It's ****ing madness.

Yes, how dare Fifa make a concentrated effort to stamp out homophobia from a game that has a horrid past and tempestuous present with homophobia.

parmnion 21-06-2018 12:23 PM

The celtic paedo thing stems from the abuse of cetic youth players that the club covered up for years....

parmnion 21-06-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10051055)
Yes, how dare Fifa make a concentrated effort to stamp out homophobia from a game that has a horrid past and tempestuous present with homophobia.

That will be why russia got the gig and why saudi and iran are partaking this time..
..good old fifa.:joker:

Nicky91 21-06-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10051079)
The celtic paedo thing stems from the abuse of cetic youth players that the club covered up for years....

also happens here in holland, abuse of dutch youth players at clubs like Vitesse, NAC Breda in their youth teams

both clubs had those youth coaches who sexually abused the youth players sacked and they have no other job ever since that incident

Greg! 21-06-2018 12:27 PM

Good! A lot of football fans seem to be stuck in the dark ages and it's about time they learned it's not acceptable. They're grown adults ffs

LeatherTrumpet 21-06-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10051055)

yes and fining a nation some pennies for ribbing a goalie that he is a sex worker is the way forward (in Russia)

:joker:

MTVN 21-06-2018 12:41 PM

Rules are rules

LeatherTrumpet 21-06-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10051103)
Rules are rules

and FIFA are just the boys to stick to them

:umm2:

Livia 21-06-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 10051010)
It’s amazing how the free speech argument only comes up in situations like this.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, and until I do I can't possibly answer you.

If everyone stopped being so terribly offended over the least little thing, then we're never going to be able to deal with real cases of homophobia and racism.