ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Years & Years' Olly Alexander says Homophobia is EVERYWHERE (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343266)

LeatherTrumpet 11-07-2018 10:31 AM

Years & Years' Olly Alexander says Homophobia is EVERYWHERE

https://www.billboard.com/files/styl...board-1548.jpg
https://attitude.co.uk/media/images/...rop_detail.jpg

Years & Years frontman Olly Alexander became a cover boy -- and a provocative one, at that -- when he graced PAPER magazine in a silken Versace shirt while sensually resting his head on a model’s bare thigh - once again linking homosexuality only with sex as seems to be the norm.

In the interview, the singer gets serious, firing shots at the passive homophobia that he still sees lingering around the music industry.

"In many ways, this is the very best time to be a gay artist ever," he says. "We wouldn't be where we are today without all the gay artists that have come before us and broken down so many barriers. But barriers aren't gone. Particularly for less privileged members of the queer community. There is this very insidious casual homophobia that exists in the fabric of everything including the music industry.”

Such discrimination isn’t so overt anymore, he adds, but nevertheless continues to detract from his capacity to commit himself fully and honestly to his music, a frustration many queer artists have recently vocalized.

Labels and people in positions of power pay lip service to supporting LGBTQ artists. And that's great,” he continues. “But when are we going to see a gay artist really thrive and succeed? Selling out arenas, hitting number ones. I guess that kind of happened with Sam Smith, but I just think from my personal experience, the amount of comments like 'Oh, this is very gay' or 'This is going to turn some people off' is a real problem.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...-queer-artists

When will a gay singer be popular? :shrug:

Cherie 11-07-2018 10:32 AM

did his Mum cut his fringe

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10081999)
https://www.billboard.com/files/styl...board-1548.jpg
https://attitude.co.uk/media/images/...rop_detail.jpg

Years & Years frontman Olly Alexander became a cover boy -- and a provocative one, at that -- when he graced PAPER magazine in a silken Versace shirt while sensually resting his head on a model’s bare thigh - once again linking homosexuality only with sex as seems to be the norm.

In the interview, the singer gets serious, firing shots at the passive homophobia that he still sees lingering around the music industry.

"In many ways, this is the very best time to be a gay artist ever," he says. "We wouldn't be where we are today without all the gay artists that have come before us and broken down so many barriers. But barriers aren't gone. Particularly for less privileged members of the queer community. There is this very insidious casual homophobia that exists in the fabric of everything including the music industry.”

Such discrimination isn’t so overt anymore, he adds, but nevertheless continues to detract from his capacity to commit himself fully and honestly to his music, a frustration many queer artists have recently vocalized.

Labels and people in positions of power pay lip service to supporting LGBTQ artists. And that's great,” he continues. “But when are we going to see a gay artist really thrive and succeed? Selling out arenas, hitting number ones. I guess that kind of happened with Sam Smith, but I just think from my personal experience, the amount of comments like 'Oh, this is very gay' or 'This is going to turn some people off' is a real problem.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...-queer-artists

When will a gay singer be popular? :shrug:

George Michael didnt do bad for himself :shrug: But then again he didnt make himself look a total twat with photos like these ^^^ and George could actually sing which is a Brucie bonus

Niamh. 11-07-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082003)
George Michael didnt do bad for himself :shrug: But then again he didnt make himself look a total twat with photos like these ^^^ and George could actually sing which is a Brucie bonus

Elton and Freddie are not amused either :nono:

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10082006)
Elton and Freddie are not amused either :nono:

I adored Freddie, one of my regrets in life never seeing him live

Niamh. 11-07-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082009)
I adored Freddie, one of my regrets in life never seeing him live

I went to see Queen with Adam lambert last year, not quite Freddie but Adam did a fantastic job (another gay super star incidentally)

LeatherTrumpet 11-07-2018 10:39 AM

When will Prince?

bitontheslide 11-07-2018 10:40 AM

Marc Bolan, Soft Cell, Jimmy Summerville, the pet shop boys .... not popular at all :laugh:

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10082012)
I went to see Queen with Adam lambert last year, not quite Freddie but Adam did a fantastic job (another gay super star incidentally)

Adam is good as you say, but there's only one Freddie

Brillopad 11-07-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10082001)
did his Mum cut his fringe

:joker:

Vicky. 11-07-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10081999)
“But when are we going to see a gay artist really thrive and succeed? Selling out arenas, hitting number ones. I guess that kind of happened with Sam Smith, but I just think from my personal experience, the amount of comments like 'Oh, this is very gay' or 'This is going to turn some people off' is a real problem.”

How ridiculous. Many gay artists have succeeded.

However, I do agree that homophobia is everywhere. But so are many forms of discrimination.

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10082029)
How ridiculous. Many gay artists have succeeded.

However, I do agree that homophobia is everywhere. But so are many forms of discrimination.

Sorry I dont agree with this ^^ and him having photos taken dressed like he is doesn't help the "gay cause" at all

Tom4784 11-07-2018 10:53 AM

Of course homophobia is still an issue, you'd have to be wilfully ignorant to think it wasn't.

LeatherTrumpet 11-07-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10082034)
Of course homophobia is still an issue, you'd have to be wilfully ignorant to think it wasn't.

Everywhere?

Nicky91 11-07-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10082012)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082019)
Adam is good as you say, but there's only one Freddie

true Freddie was unique in his own way

Adam does really well performing the Queen songs, even Brian May has said that Adam comes really close to Freddie in terms of he performs

my dad went to a queen concert back when he was younger, when queen was in brussels, and it is his fave uk band, he also loved that INXS were performing as the supporting act back then when they were starting to become popular, also the inxs singer we lost too soon Michael Hutchence

Vicky. 11-07-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082032)
Sorry I dont agree with this ^^ and him having photos taken dressed like he is doesn't help the "gay cause" at all

I don't get why his photos have anything to do with 'the gay cause' anyway? He can dress how he likes tbh, he can attention seek all he likes, he can talk utter bollocks like he is seeming to do, but he does have a point about homophobia being rife.

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10082035)
Everywhere?

:bored::facepalm: "Poor me,Poor me " :bawling:

Tom4784 11-07-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10082053)
I don't get why his photos have anything to do with 'the gay cause' anyway? He can dress how he likes tbh, he can attention seek all he likes, he can talk utter bollocks like he is seeming to do, but he does have a point about homophobia being rife.

Very true but people who are uncomfortable with LGBT causes will look for any reason to minimalise it. I say **** that though, he could wear a leather codpiece and assless chaps and it doesn't make what he is saying any less valid. It's just a very cheap way to undercut what he's saying because some people don't want to hear it.

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10082053)

You dont think the photos are OTT and not needed ?

Tom4784 11-07-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082066)

The photos don't matter, you're just focusing on them so you don't have to acknowledge what he is saying.

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10082069)
The photos don't matter, you're just focusing on them so you don't have to acknowledge what he is saying.

Of course they matter, he made them matter

Vicky. 11-07-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082066)

I think he can do what he likes :shrug: What do the photos have to do with anything? Sounds a little like the 'she was wearing a short skirt, she deserved it' type arguments to me.

chuff me dizzy 11-07-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10082073)
I think he can do what he likes :shrug: What do the photos have to do with anything? Sounds a little like the 'she was wearing a short skirt, she deserved it' type arguments to me.

Yes he can, but he needs to shut up moaning when people look at him and judge him for the mess he looks in these photos and he looses any credibility he may have had

Brillopad 11-07-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082061)
:bored::facepalm: "Poor me,Poor me " :bawling:

As I said - although it seems to have disappeared for some odd reason - he is an attention-seeker.

Tom4784 11-07-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10082071)
Of course they matter, he made them matter

They don't, you're just clinging on to them to devalue what he is saying.