ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Do you believe you have ever been discriminated against (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343683)

Withano 21-07-2018 02:48 PM

Do you believe you have ever been discriminated against

Can’t really add a severity scale to the poll, but which forms of discrimination do you believe you’ve dealt with on any level?

Underscore 21-07-2018 02:53 PM

Sexuality (gay)
Disability (moderate stammer, although it has largely 'gone')
and Physical Appearance

LeatherTrumpet 21-07-2018 02:57 PM

no

im a positive person and try not to look for excuses but rather opportunities

:)

Withano 21-07-2018 02:57 PM

Ugh i didnt add age to the poll. Mods cant edit that in can they?

Oliver_W 21-07-2018 03:00 PM

Nah, no-one really cares about homosexuality anymore, especially those in positions to discriminate.

Oliver_W 21-07-2018 03:01 PM

Ohwait, during the summer I sometimes work in safeguarding with the BBC, and I was told my application for a short post wouldn't be looked at because I missed that they wanted a female, but that was my fault for not reading the listing properly.

Withano 21-07-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Withano (Post 10100328)
Ugh i didnt add age to the poll. Mods cant edit that in can they?

Or just change the word ‘other’ to ‘age’ if you cant add options plz

smudgie 21-07-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10100327)
no

This.

Withano 21-07-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10100345)
This.

I dont get that, do you mean that you pretend it doesnt happen even if it does?

smudgie 21-07-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Withano (Post 10100351)
I dont get that, do you mean that you pretend it doesnt happen even if it does?

I mean I am thick skinned enough not to let it bother me...if I did notice it.:shrug:
Heaven help a person if they try to ignore me sat in my wheelchair and talk to hubby instead:joker:

Matthew. 21-07-2018 03:33 PM

i don’t think i have

Northern Monkey 21-07-2018 03:38 PM

Depends what you mean by discrimination really.Institutionally or by individuals?

Everybody has I would think.People Dont generally dwell on it.

ethanjames 21-07-2018 03:38 PM

I don't like to think that I am oppressed or anything but mostly for my gender identity especially when I first started socially transitioning not as bad now but it still happens and I feel like **** afterwards

armand.kay 21-07-2018 03:44 PM

well I've had racial abuse hurled at me a few times and the whole gay thing has always been an issue to people

Toy Soldier 21-07-2018 03:44 PM

Yes by proximity (my youngest daughter has a disability), but I would say only mildly and infrequently to be fair.

I've also been discriminated against on here by people accusing me of Mansplaining which is extremely sexist, and also unfair, as I wouldn't have to constantly explain things (in a manly way or otherwise) if people weren't so gosh darned stupid :hmph:.

ethanjames 21-07-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

no

yeh ok well not everyone is a white heterosexual male as most have to deal with being oppressed just bc u don't deal with it doesn't mean its an "excuse"

Northern Monkey 21-07-2018 03:54 PM

Well if we’re counting individual discrimination rather than just institutional discrimination then yep many times.

Racial abuse(for being white),Sexually assaulted by women and a transexual,heterophobia(for being too straight),For hair colour as a youngun,probably more that i can’t think of.

Like i said earlier.Everybody experiences some kind of discrimination at certain points in life but we usually just forget and move on.

Toy Soldier 21-07-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

no

False. I discriminate against you every day.

Oliver_W 21-07-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10100411)
I've also been discriminated against on here by people accusing me of Mansplaining which is extremely sexist, and also unfair, as I wouldn't have to constantly explain things (in a manly way or otherwise) if people weren't so gosh darned stupid :hmph:.

"Mansplain" is like a stupid person's version of "patronise".

Toy Soldier 21-07-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10100426)
"Mansplain" is like a stupid person's version of "patronise".

What does Mansplaining have to do with Harry Potter though. Except maybe Dumbledore was guilty of it...

But he was a double minority so he gets a pass. Double because he was a wizard, and also, black.

Oliver_W 21-07-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10100447)
What does Mansplaining have to do with Harry Potter though.

har har

Quote:

But he was a double minority so he gets a pass. Double because he was a wizard, and also, black.
Dumblenoir?

Brillopad 21-07-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10100411)
Yes by proximity (my youngest daughter has a disability), but I would say only mildly and infrequently to be fair.

You really don’t like that word do you. It is on a par with ‘nagging’ (also extremely sexist as always directed at women) - I doubt there are many women who haven’t been accused of that by their partner/kids at some point.

LeatherTrumpet 21-07-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10100424)
False. I discriminate against you every day.

False. As i have you on ignore.

Cherie 21-07-2018 04:24 PM

in the 90s after an IRA bomb went off in London, walked into work and one of my colleagues intimated that I should feel ashamed, I told him I had suspended my membership of the IRA so he had nothing to worry about

I think everyone suffers discrimination at some point in their lives, same with bullying it happens to everyone its how you deal with it or let it affect your life that counts

Cherie 21-07-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Monkey (Post 10100423)
Well if we’re counting individual discrimination rather than just institutional discrimination then yep many times.

Racial abuse(for being white),Sexually assaulted by women and a transexual,heterophobia(for being too straight),For hair colour as a youngun,probably more that i can’t think of.

Like i said earlier.Everybody experiences some kind of discrimination at certain points in life but we usually just forget and move on.

Or I should have just quoted this