ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Florida's 'stand your ground' law is 'a license to kill black people,' ? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343996)

arista 28-07-2018 01:51 PM

Florida's 'stand your ground' law is 'a license to kill black people,' ?

Florida's 'stand your ground' law is 'a license to kill black people,' attorney says.

Debated today on Smercornish.
CNN HD.

This black family pulled in to get food
but Parked in a Disabled Parking
without any legal right.
A fella walks up tells the family off (waiting in the car)
then the Black husband walks out the store
Pushes the White fella to the ground.
The White Fella - Pulls a Gun out
from the floor shoots dead the black fella.

Its the Florida Law , Stand your ground,
also never park in disabled
unless you are.

Store Video :
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/24/u...ing/index.html

Oliver_W 28-07-2018 04:13 PM

So the attourney is lowkey being racist, by saying black people are most likely to cause violent confrontations, necessitating self defence.

arista 28-07-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10112706)
So the attorney is lowkey being racist, by saying black people are most likely to cause violent confrontations, necessitating self defence.

Yes
It appears he says
The man with the Gun is Free.
And he was not standing over him
he said he was some feet way.

The trouble is that Push
to the ground was fast.

If only that Family did not park
in that Disabled parking space
none of this would have gone down.

Northern Monkey 28-07-2018 04:47 PM

Incident is at about 1:00

smudgie 28-07-2018 05:37 PM

Someone pushes you over because you are shouting at his girlfriend...and you have the right to murder them?
What a fkd up world we live in.

Toy Soldier 28-07-2018 06:30 PM

He does push him hard but the stand your ground laws allow the use of deadly force IF you feel like your own life is in danger. The guy was clearly backing away as soon as he drew his gun, for several seconds before he pulled the trigger. There's no argument that he still felt his life was at risk.

arista 28-07-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10112770)
Someone pushes you over because you are shouting at his girlfriend...and you have the right to murder them?
What a fkd up world we live in.

Hang on
this is USA
nothing like the UK.

And Florida has a Special Law "stand your ground"

That Man killed
did not have to park in the Disabled parking.
Thats why the man with the gun got angry
he could see the had no disabled pass.

arista 28-07-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10112828)
He does push him hard but the stand your ground laws allow the use of deadly force IF you feel like your own life is in danger. The guy was clearly backing away as soon as he drew his gun, for several seconds before he pulled the trigger. There's no argument that he still felt his life was at risk.

Yes if only he did not need push him to the ground , so hard.

Thank you NM for the CBS report.

Mystic Mock 28-07-2018 06:39 PM

It's about time.:hehe:

Being serious it's one of those scenarios that was unfortunate as the black guy I don't think was gonna kill the disabled guy, but the disabled guy was obviously scared for his life and sadly a life ended up being lost.

Basically it's why the law is risky imo as this could happen to anybody in Florida.

LeatherTrumpet 28-07-2018 07:54 PM

Sounds like this bully met his match

Northern Monkey 28-07-2018 09:47 PM

Absolutely no need to shoot imo.

The sight of the gun is enough to make most people back off and walk away.

Looks like he shot out of anger rather than fear.

If the guy was on top of him beating the shet out of him then yeah I could understand it.

Tom4784 28-07-2018 09:52 PM

Stand Your Ground has largely been used to excuse murders of black people for years. Look at the Trayvon Martin case, the murderer followed Trayvon for a number of blocks before creating a situation in which he could kill the teenager. If Trayvon was white, he would have gotten justice.

Toy Soldier 28-07-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10112937)
Sounds like this bully met his match

Would you be saying that if a black man had been harassing a white family in a car, and the dad had arrived back and pushed him away, and then had been shot?

arista 29-07-2018 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10113034)
Stand Your Ground has largely been used to excuse murders of black people for years. Look at the Trayvon Martin case, the murderer followed Trayvon for a number of blocks before creating a situation in which he could kill the teenager. If Trayvon was white, he would have gotten justice.

Yes but it's a case of
Park in the correct space in this case.
Tragic mess.

LeatherTrumpet 29-07-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10113044)
Would you be saying that if a black man had been harassing a white family in a car, and the dad had arrived back and pushed him away, and then had been shot?

no i am saying it about the thread and its subject - if you want to create a hypothetical thread please go ahead

Oliver_W 29-07-2018 08:52 AM

I'm not saying anyone deserved to be shot, but if I were to take sides I'd pick the disabled person who was thrown to the floor after confronting someone for needlessly taking a handicapped space.

Toy Soldier 29-07-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10113336)
I'm not saying anyone deserved to be shot, but if I were to take sides I'd pick the disabled person who was thrown to the floor after confronting someone for needlessly taking a handicapped space.

The shooter is not disabled, he is a self-appointed parking space vigilante who drives around with an (albeit licenced) concealed firearm picking fights, quite clearly with full knowledge of and probably aiming to exploit the stand your ground laws. A very dangerous individual, in my opinion. This won't be the last person he shoots.

Quote:

It's not the first time Drejka has engaged in a confrontation over a parking space, store owner Ali Salous told CNN.

"He's always hanging out in the parking lot here. If he sees anyone parking illegal or something like that, he just wants to argue with them and fight with them," he told the station.
I strongly suspect he has been WAITING for someone to attack him physically as an excuse to use the gun.

(Again though guys, people need to actually read the links, I don't know how people have managed to get the idea that this was a disabled man who wanted to use the space... It doesn't say that anywhere.)

Vicky. 29-07-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10113034)

Indeed. Ridiculous law thats extremely open to abuse.

LeatherTrumpet 29-07-2018 09:08 AM

If you are aware of the law and you carry in like that bully then heaven help you

Vicky. 29-07-2018 09:10 AM

Also this is absolutely ****ing ridiculous

Quote:

The framework of Florida's "stand your ground" law was changed this year, he said. Previously, the shooter used "stand your ground" as a defense and had to prove she or he feared further bodily harm. The law now says the state attorney has to provide "clear and convincing evidence" that the shooter is not entitled to "stand your ground" immunities.

Cherie 29-07-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10113345)
The shooter is not disabled, he is a self-appointed parking space vigilante who drives around with an (albeit licenced) concealed firearm picking fights, quite clearly with full knowledge of and probably aiming to exploit the stand your ground laws. A very dangerous individual, in my opinion. This won't be the last person he shoots.

I strongly suspect he has been WAITING for someone to attack him physically as an excuse to use the gun.

(Again though guys, people need to actually read the links, I don't know how people have managed to get the idea that this was a disabled man who wanted to use the space... It doesn't say that anywhere.)

From the clip I understood it was this particular store he had an issue with people parking in the disabled bay unless I got that wrong, he might have a disabled relative and been tipped over the edge by the space being taken constantly, eitherway he shouldn’t be allowed to have a gun, to be killed for parking in the wrong bay is extreme

kirklancaster 29-07-2018 01:02 PM

Like a lot of Laws in a lot of countries, this has been ill-thought out and wide open to opportunist abuse.

It needs revoking urgently.

That said, in this particular case, I agree with LT that the 'victim' seems to fit the profile of an arrogant bully who has no regard for 'rules and regulations' and believes that he can do as he pleases.

Though killing him is DEFINITELY bang out of order. (no pun intended).

arista 29-07-2018 01:06 PM

But Kirk its a Law in Florida
if only the fella did not park on that Disabled space.

Hell of a fast push to the Ground
made the Police see the Shooting of the fella
as justified/