ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Do short skirts invite sexual harassment? Nicola McLean and Vanessa Feltz debate (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347386)

reece(: 14-09-2018 04:20 PM

Do short skirts invite sexual harassment? Nicola McLean and Vanessa Feltz debate

Alf 14-09-2018 04:24 PM

Depends how you define sexual harassment?

You're gonna get stirred at by a man, almost certainly.

LeatherTrumpet 14-09-2018 04:35 PM

Sometimes the problem is that girls who dress in a very revealing way want the attention of men

but only the men they like

sadly, life does not work that way

Elliot 14-09-2018 04:35 PM

They both agree they’re just debating a different argument lol

Withano 14-09-2018 04:39 PM

I dont think ‘invite’ is the right word to use. Provoke perhaps, which is depressing... I cba to watch the video though, their voices wont be good for my head right now.

Marsh. 14-09-2018 04:46 PM

The debate is a little muddled.

They keep dipping back to schoolgirl examples.

I imagine it's a very different discussion, parents talking about what they allow their daughter's to go out dressed in and grown women.

Marsh. 14-09-2018 04:50 PM

"The boys aren't told their shorts have to be a certain length"

How likely is it that, in this day and age, boys would wear shorts which reveal what they had for breakfast that morning?

armand.kay 14-09-2018 05:17 PM

I doubt the length of the skirt matters to someone willing to sexually assault a school girl.

arista 14-09-2018 06:15 PM

Some School Girls make the skirts even shorter
thats wrong.

armand.kay 14-09-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10224961)
Some School Girls make the skirts even shorter
thats wrong.

Some grown men lust over/cat call school girls. Thats wrong.

jaxie 14-09-2018 11:16 PM

Nothing you wear should invite harrassment. Even walking down the road naked is not an invitation.

armand.kay 14-09-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxie (Post 10228095)
Nothing you wear should invite harrassment. Even walking down the road naked is not an invitation.

Yeah this narrative that men just cant help themselves is just a mess and should be insulting both to women and men who can go through life without sexually harassing someone :skull:

Elliot 14-09-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 10228121)
Yeah this narrative that men just cant help themselves is just a mess and should be insulting both to women and men who can go through life without sexually harassing someone :skull:

It’s just calling things what they are. It’d be like saying telling people to prevent themselves from burglary or murder is stupid because people should just stop doing those things. Like ya that’d be great but that’s not reality

Tom4784 15-09-2018 12:11 AM

A woman could walk down the street naked, doesn't mean she invites the attention of men seeking to blame her for their actions. It's just victim blaming and just another way of vindicating the man while demonising the woman.

GoldHeart 15-09-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10228279)
A woman could walk down the street naked, doesn't mean she invites the attention of men seeking to blame her for their actions. It's just victim blaming and just another way of vindicating the man while demonising the woman.

Why is this example always used in an argument!! i know we're not meant to take it literally but it's such a ridiculous example :facepalm: , if you walk down the street naked you can't expect NOT TO BE NOTICED . So prepare for EVERYONE to look and you will get arrested for indecent exposure and you will probably get people laughing and filming it on their mobiles and other negative reactions.

But back to the topic of length of skirt , when people wear revealing clothes they will get a reaction that's what happens . BUT it doesn't mean it's OK for perverts to assault them.

Tom4784 15-09-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldHeart (Post 10228663)
Why is this example always used in an argument!! i know we're not meant to take it literally but it's such a ridiculous example :facepalm: , if you walk down the street naked you can't expect NOT TO BE NOTICED . So prepare for EVERYONE to look and you will get arrested for indecent exposure and you will probably get people laughing and filming it on their mobiles and other negative reactions.

But back to the topic of length of skirt , when people wear revealing clothes they will get a reaction that's what happens . BUT it doesn't mean it's OK for perverts to assault them.

The whole point is that what a woman chooses to wear is too often used as justification for rape and harassment. A woman could wear a belt for a skirt, it's not permission for a man to do what they want with her.

You're looking into it too literally.

smudgie 15-09-2018 05:41 PM

You should be able to wear whatever you like.
School skirts should be a reasonable length so as not to distract the boys.:joker:
I always wore mine a good inch below my backside.:blush:

Ammi 16-09-2018 06:26 AM

...all of what Vanessa is saying is just...well, really disappointing...she talked about what her daughters should wear only while they were with parents but not when they were out without parents and out with friends...but that’s not the ‘real’ world, that’s creating something that shouldn’t ever have to be created for a female because of what she chooses to wear...when she said about her friend and his driving her and the school bus situation with the ‘long legs’ which had apparently caught his attention so much, so that he turned his head right around in a double take thing..?...all of her focus was on what the school girl was wearing, which in her opinion wasn’t in some way ‘appropriate’...that was the feeling of her own judgement, what she’s determined..?...but the school had obviously felt that theclothing was appropriate for leaving school in ..(...maybe the girl had PE as the last lesson and no time to change for her bus home as is sometimes the way..)...so a school child can’t even be wearing PE clothing without it being some sort of ‘temptation’ or distraction to a poor guy like her friend..?..that’s really terribly concerning if that’s the case and if that school child is going to be seen as some type of sexual object...and why didn’t she question him, rather than look at what the young girl was wearing and saying what long legs she had and how tightly fitting she had judged the girl’s shorts to be...(...which I presume the shorts were fine with the school..)...why didn’t she say to him...why did you turn your head in that way and stare at a school girl getting off her school bus because that’s a little bit creepy tbh and just really not appropriate at all..she’s a child and I have daughters myself...?...why didn’t she say that to him at the time, rather than only comment about the girl and her legs and her shorts....?...