ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   How the MSM (Sky News) fake newsed Tommy Robinson (current event) (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348542)

LeatherTrumpet 29-09-2018 06:07 PM

How the MSM (Sky News) fake newsed Tommy Robinson (current event)

Disgraceful

:bored:

LeatherTrumpet 29-09-2018 06:22 PM

one good thing about social media is that at least you can post a video like this

JoshBB 29-09-2018 06:51 PM

Yeah cus good lad tommy has never deliberately misinformed anyone has he..... :suspect::idc:

Maru 30-09-2018 01:29 AM

About fear... their big point: that he instills fear... um....

Instilling fear is what most news-folk actually do for a living. How often do we usually hear about something negative over the positive? The fear-mongering only just now has become "problematic" because it's coming from a competing non-mainstream source. The lack of self-awareness there is incredulous.

Basically, they're upset that other sources are taking away from their ability to have dominance(edit) control over how other people perceive events and associate with their circumstances around them. Never mind that we live in a liberal society where we were always meant to take in all this information as-is and judge for ourselves...

So their argument that he instills fear is circular. In the mainstream, the narrative has always been about picking apart the other side and unmasking "the predator" behind the scenes and promoting suspicion, paranoia & sensationalism... the basic argument to me comes down to.. well, our sensationalism is a healthier version... yes, it has less toxins, but it still has nicotine and the other addictive parts of it, so you all get the same "high" off of it... :laugh:

My opinion, there is a reactionary element and a fear-mongering element coming from the right... but I think it tends (not always) to be more focused on issues & concerns that have gone ignored for so long. Their audience is being driven to these sources since mainstream news has become so abysmal/predictable (edit). Imo, some of it has become such a parody of itself that it is getting harder and harder to recognize it in our own lives...

In our culture (US), it has always had some element of one-ups-manship to it. The more sensational it is, the more far-fetched it has to become to accommodate, the more ridiculous our politics has gone as well since it has always been a vehicle for parody. In the end, this makes extreme rhetoric more and more "palatable" to the masses. So if mainstream wants to find someone to blame... they should go find a mirror... :idc:

I'm not really aware of Tommy's story so much, and only know the gist of things, so I can't comment too much there...

The Slim Reaper 16-12-2020 04:07 PM

Not the best couple of days for poor old tommy.

LeatherTrumpet 16-12-2020 04:13 PM

why are the mdia outlets OBSESSED by

Tommy Robinson REAL NAME STEPHEN LAXLEY-LENNON

every report they state it like anyone cares

:joker:

Ammi 16-12-2020 04:13 PM

....awww, I saw Maru’s post and thought she was back...:sad:...

Ammi 16-12-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10970523)
why are the mdia outlets OBSESSED by

Tommy Robinson REAL NAME STEPHEN LAXLEY-LENNON

every report they state it like anyone cares

...I’m guessing that because it’s essentially a ‘fake name’, rather than a legally changed name...his actual name has to be used on any articles written about him...I know that his actual name is the one used in court etc because that’s his legal given name...

GiRTh 16-12-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10970515)
Not the best couple of days for poor old tommy.

Poor Tommy. Hope he has a good Xmas :thumbs:

LeatherTrumpet 16-12-2020 04:31 PM

bearing in mind no fans can go to most games i suspect he remains unbothered

LeatherTrumpet 16-12-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10970538)
...I’m guessing that because it’s essentially a ‘fake name’, rather than a legally changed name...his actual name has to be used on any articles written about him...I know that his actual name is the one used in court etc because that’s his legal given name...

No i think he legally changed it (its to do with his step dad and predates all the hoo ha in his life)

Ammi 16-12-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10970551)
No i think he legally changed it (its to do with his step dad and predates all the hoo ha in his life)

....ah, I was just going on this which said it was a pseudonym and there are multiple Tommy Robinson’s ...so it distinguishes which one is being referred to...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

GiRTh 16-12-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Robinson's birth name is Stephen Christopher Yaxley. The name Tommy Robinson is a pseudonym taken from a prominent member of the "Men In Gear" (MIG) football hooligan crew, which follows Luton Town Football Club.[24] The nom de guerre successfully hid Robinson's identity as Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and his criminal history, until the connection was uncovered in July 2010 by Searchlight magazine.[3][25]

Robinson has also used the names Andrew McMaster, Paul Harris,[16] Wayne King,[26][27] and Stephen Lennon.[16]
His wiki page seems to think he hasnt legally changed it.

bitontheslide 16-12-2020 04:56 PM

LT's new favourite news channel is newsmax :laugh:

LeatherTrumpet 16-12-2020 05:06 PM

Its no different from actors using stage names

but the media are so obsessed with it

The Slim Reaper 16-12-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10970598)
Its no different from actors using stage names

Unintentionally perfect comparison.

GiRTh 16-12-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10970599)

:laugh:

Jack_ 16-12-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

:joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker:: joker:

Exquisite self own

Marsh. 16-12-2020 06:29 PM

Quote: