ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Pret A Manger allergy deaths: Suspected 2nd victim named (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349039)

arista 08-10-2018 11:04 AM

Pret A Manger allergy deaths: Suspected 2nd victim named

[The food chain said the 42-year-old dental nurse
died after eating a "super-veg rainbow flatbread"
containing a yoghurt that was supposed
to be dairy-free, but was found to be
contaminated with dairy.

Mrs Marsh, who had children, died
at the Royal United Hospital in
Bath on 27 December, 2017.]

https://news.sky.com/story/pret-a-ma...marsh-11521171

[CoYo has denied this was related
to Mrs Marsh's death, saying the
contaminated raw materials had
been supplied to it in January - after she died.]

Pret A Manger have now confirmed
all foods will now have labels on them.

Cherie 08-10-2018 11:06 AM

Another tragic case, I think having a food allergy must be one of the worst things to have as it impacts to much of your life and you are placing so much of your trust on others for your safety.

arista 08-10-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10273292)
Another tragic case, I think having a food allergy must be one of the worst things to have as it impacts to much of your life and you are placing so much of your trust on others for your safety.

Yes trust in that store has gone
for a while.

Cherie 08-10-2018 11:10 AM

I love Pret, but honestly they have let people down here with poor practice

bitontheslide 08-10-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

I have a food allergy and it's scary, but I know now the meals that are likely to cause problems and stay well clear.

Also, a very important point that is completely under reported. There are pills you can take to reduce or remove your susceptibility to allergic reaction. No one with a food allergy should leave home without them.

GoldHeart 08-10-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

OMG it's so frightening Cherie ! :shocked:

If I had an allergy , I'd be double even tripple checking food constantly to make sure it's ok ,as you can never be too safe . I'd be wary of every food store .

This food chain should address what went wrong! and avoid this same horrible mistake from happening again. I don't think people will trust them again . When people's lives are at risk you don't mess about :nono: .

Cherie 08-10-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10273297)
I have a food allergy and it's scary, but I know now the meals that are likely to cause problems and stay well clear.

Also, a very important point that is completely under reported. There are pills you can take to reduce or remove your susceptibility to allergic reaction. No one with a food allergy should leave home without them.

I have never heard of these, are these used alongside an epipen?

smudgie 08-10-2018 03:19 PM

Tragic.
How can you have dairy free yoghurt?

Cherie 08-10-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldHeart (Post 10273443)
OMG it's so frightening Cherie ! :shocked:

If I had an allergy , I'd be double even tripple checking food constantly to make sure it's ok ,as you can never be too safe . I'd be wary of every food store .

This food chain should address what went wrong! and avoid this same horrible mistake from happening again. I don't think people will trust them again . When people's lives are at risk you don't mess about :nono: .

A big chain like Pret should not be making this type of mistake, you can maybe understand someone in a kitchen making a mistake, but not on labelling

Cherie 08-10-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10273521)
Tragic.
How can you have dairy free yoghurt?

I have seen dairy free yoghurts for vegans, maybe they shouldn't be labelled yoghurt though :skull:

smudgie 08-10-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10273523)
I have seen dairy free yoghurts for vegans, maybe they shouldn't be labelled yoghurt though :skull:

My thoughts exactly.
Would save mistakes like this.

Livia 08-10-2018 04:51 PM

Up until the point of the last court case against Pret, if a business makes food on the premises then they were not required by the law to list ingredients at all. By doing any food labelling they were going above and beyond, so I think the criticism of them is a little bit unfounded. The reason the law remained like that is to help small operations, sandwich shops, tea rooms, cafes, who may not have the finance or the staff to label food made on the premises. Reforms are being put in place now, slamming the stable door after the horse has bolted.

It must be terrible to have a food allergy, being aware that eating anything you're not 100% sure of couldn't just make you sick, but could actually kill you. So I'm really surprised that people with such serious allergies would put their trust - and their life - in the hands of a sandwich shop. I'd be inclined only to use places I was sure of, or take food with me. That's not to say that I'm not sympathetic to the people who've died, what a terrifying way to go.

Marsh. 08-10-2018 06:50 PM

Just thought I'd comment before the rumours start about me poisoning the Mrs.