ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Non-essential job workers working on Christmas Day (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353100)

Redway 23-12-2018 11:58 PM

Non-essential job workers working on Christmas Day

What are everyone’s opinions about non-essential services (aka non-emergency/healthcare) services opening on Christmas Day (restaurants, individual shops)? Should everyone be forced to have a day off or should business carry on for profit?

Greg! 23-12-2018 11:59 PM

It's vile! I could never go out on Christmas day, feel too bad for the staff!

reece(: 24-12-2018 12:17 AM

I would work Xmas day for extra pay

Ashley. 24-12-2018 12:21 AM

They wouldn't be getting much profit if they stayed open, and certainly not enough to pay their staff twice/triple the amount for giving up potential time with their families. Christmas Day is probably the quietest day of the year for non-essential services so no, seems like a bad idea all round.

Mokka 24-12-2018 12:24 AM

The facts are not everyone celebrates Christmas. If you want everything to shut down for a Christian/Western Secular holiday... then you should also shut down for all the other religions major holidays. Where I work... more than half the staff don't celebrate or even understand the traditions surrounding the day. I had to explain stockings to several people this year. It doesnt make sense in modern society to shut everything down.

Redway 24-12-2018 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokka (Post 10390393)
The facts are not everyone celebrates Christmas. If you want everything to shut down for a Christian/Western Secular holiday... then you should also shut down for all the other religions major holidays. Where I work... more than half the staff don't celebrate or even understand the traditions surrounding the day. I had to explain stockings to several people this year. It doesnt make sense in modern society to shut everything down.

Aside from all that retail workers deserve a day off too. It’s all about common humanity this time of year.

michael21 24-12-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390401)
Aside from all that retail workers deserve a day off too. It’s all about common humanity this time of year.

What are you on about most shop are shut Xmas day and the one that are open will be run by management or owners

Redway 24-12-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael21 (Post 10390402)
What are you on about most shop are shut Xmas day and the one that are open will be run by management or owners

Most but not all. And shops aren’t the only non-essential services open on Christmas. At least read the OP.

michael21 24-12-2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390403)
Most but not all. And shops aren’t the only non-essential services open on Christmas. At least read the OP.

You said shop in your op :fist:

What your point People work on Xmas day to make money get over it and have fun

Redway 24-12-2018 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael21 (Post 10390405)
You said shop in your op :fist:

What your point People work on Xmas day to make money get over it and have fun

I didn’t only mention shops though did I. I gave examples of other non-essential services who might have to open on Christmas Day.

Either brush up on your comprehension skills or don’t troll.

michael21 24-12-2018 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390375)
What are everyone’s opinions about non-essential services (emergency/healthcare) services opening on Christmas Day (restaurants, individual shops)? Should everyone be forced to have a day off or should business carry on for profit?

Are you saying (emergency/healthcare) are non-essential

Redway 24-12-2018 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael21 (Post 10390409)
Are you saying (emergency/healthcare) are non-essential

It’s just funny how much effort you put into trolling.

Scarlett. 24-12-2018 01:56 AM

I've worked the past 9 Christmases, I don't mind too much, would love to have it off one year though

Mokka 24-12-2018 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390401)

I don't know how it works in your country... but here in Canada if you don't get Xmas day off... you will still get a paid day off within that week... or you will get compensated with double time and a paid day off... which many people who don't celebrate Xmas appreciate... extra money for working a day they would have worked anyways on a holiday they aren't invested in.

Cal. 24-12-2018 03:22 AM

They get paid double/triple time so I don’t see the issue working that day! I’m working Xmas day this year and I’m not too fussed!

Redway 24-12-2018 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokka (Post 10390423)
I don't know how it works in your country... but here in Canada if you don't get Xmas day off... you will still get a paid day off within that week... or you will get compensated with double time and a paid day off... which many people who don't celebrate Xmas appreciate... extra money for working a day they would have worked anyways on a holiday they aren't invested in.

Do you honestly think most people who work Christmas Day want to?

Mokka 24-12-2018 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390429)
Do you honestly think most people who work Christmas Day want to?

I think the world isn't as you perceive it anymore... and far less people celebrate xmas than you are implying... and many of those people like a restaurant or a shop on just another day to them.
I generally ask which employees celebrate Xmas and give them that day off in the schedule... and I would say 70% of my staff volunteer for xmas day.

Redway 24-12-2018 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokka (Post 10390430)
I think the world isn't as you perceive it anymore... and far less people celebrate xmas than you are implying... and many of those people like a restaurant or a shop on just another day to them.
I generally ask which employees celebrate Xmas and give them that day off in the schedule... and I would say 70% of my staff volunteer for xmas day.

Either way one national holiday a year isn’t the end of the world as far as non-essential workers are concerned.

Mokka 24-12-2018 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390431)
Either way one national holiday a year isn’t the end of the world as far as non-essential workers are concerned.

Then why make that one Christmas? Why not any one of the other 13 national holidays? Your premise is the entirety of one country deserves one day off together? Ok... I'll buy that there are non essential services we can do without for one day... but shoving Christmas down every other cultures throat isn't necessary for that to happen.

Redway 24-12-2018 04:14 AM

25 December isn’t just a random date though is it. Some absolute Scrooges will disagree but Christmas is what it is from tradition. How many other public holidays have months of preparation and elaborate decoration behind them? There’s your answer.

Mokka 24-12-2018 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390433)
25 December isn’t just a random date though is it. Some absolute Scrooges will disagree but Christmas is what it is from tradition. How many other public holidays have months of preparation and elaborate decoration behind them? There’s your answer.

Halloween.
Valentines day
Canada Day/4th of July over here. (These would be my preferred options... celebrate our common appreciation of the free country we live in... the one that let's us accept and celebrate our differances and doesnt force others into following just one subsets beliefs)
OR let's make one that isn't central to one religion and still honours family and togetherness.

Redway 24-12-2018 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokka (Post 10390434)
Halloween.
Valentines day
Canada Day/4th of July over here. (These would be my preferred options... celebrate our common appreciation of the free country we live in... the one that let's us accept and celebrate our differances and doesnt force others into following just one subsets beliefs)
OR let's make one that isn't central to one religion and still honours family and togetherness.

I’m sure you’re a right barrel of laughs.

Mokka 24-12-2018 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390435)
I’m sure you’re a right barrel of laughs.

You going for insults because your argument is failing? That's very TiBB of you lol

Redway 24-12-2018 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokka (Post 10390436)
You going for insults because your argument is failing? That's very TiBB of you lol

LMAO. It’s not even that deep but I just feel the point might be being missed.

4 July isn’t even celebrated in the UK, just so you know. Like it or not Christmas Day is one of the more universally acknowledged holidays worldwide. The world doesn’t start and end in the US or Canada.

Mokka 24-12-2018 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10390437)
LMAO. I’d hate to see how you react to actual insults.

It’s not that deep to be honest.

And yet it was still unnecessary