ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Leavers are more tolerant of opposing views according to YouGov poll (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353781)

Northern Monkey 24-01-2019 09:48 PM

Leavers are more tolerant of opposing views according to YouGov poll

Brexit: Remainers ‘more bothered’ by differing views in family, poll shows

More than a third of Remainers would be upset if a close relative married a strong Leave supporter and almost two thirds say that all or most of their friends share their stance on Brexit.

Leavers, however, are comparatively more likely to say that they have Remain-supporting friends and are also significantly less likely to be concerned at the prospect of welcoming an EU supporter into their family.

Polling by YouGov for The Times reveals how little the country’s two Brexit tribes interact. For example, only 8 per cent of people say that a majority of their work colleagues voted a different way,

When it comes to welcoming those with opposing Brexit stances into the family, it is Remainers who are markedly more resistant.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...hows-h6kh2vrp7

Toy Soldier 24-01-2019 09:54 PM

Surely a lot of that is down to beliefs about the actual implications, though.

For Leavers;

Option 1: "I get what I want"
Option 2: "Everything stays the same as now so whatever"

For remainers:

Option 1: "Everything stays the same as now"
Option 2: "Utter ****ing chaos"

Tom4784 24-01-2019 10:14 PM

I don't really believe it tbh. Considering that the main narrative since the referendum has been 'EVIL REMAINERS LOOKING TO UNDO BREXIT!!!!!' Not saying that the remain side is innocent but there does seem to be a lot more noticeable hate from the Brexit side of things.

smudgie 24-01-2019 10:48 PM

I don’t see anyone who has a different opinion to me as evil, or wrong.
But I do object to MPs who put their personal outlook on Brexit before their constituents.
Our local mp being one of the beggars:fist:

Mystic Mock 24-01-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10418563)
I don't really believe it tbh. Considering that the main narrative since the referendum has been 'EVIL REMAINERS LOOKING TO UNDO BREXIT!!!!!' Not saying that the remain side is innocent but there does seem to be a lot more noticeable hate from the Brexit side of things.

This.

Oliver_W 24-01-2019 11:15 PM

Ehh, I wouldn't set too much store by this poll, I don't think leavers are inherently more open to opposite views, it's probably as reliable as those that say all leavers are swivel eyed racists.

parmnion 24-01-2019 11:18 PM

I don't know of anyone who hates anyone else over this.

parmnion 24-01-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10418592)
I don’t see anyone who has a different opinion to me as evil, or wrong.
But I do object to MPs who put their personal outlook on Brexit before their constituents.
Our local mp being one of the beggars:fist:

I like that.

What we should be having a referendum on his how our political parties are run..

WE should have the final say in a whole heap of decisions..each party should put an idea forward along with a cross party idea then we the public should be online voting which one to go with..not just brexit, but nhs plans, environment plans etc etc.

Withano 24-01-2019 11:33 PM

Makes sense considering the opposing view is like. Good.

Northern Monkey 25-01-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10418622)
I don't know of anyone who hates anyone else over this.

This for me.

My best mate and family are all remainers wheras i voted leave.
We don’t even talk about Brexit,Just doesn’t come up.

I don’t see all this apparent division there’s supposed to be around the country.

Quite a few of my family and in-laws voted remain.I think we’ve talked about it once and then just not really mentioned it again.

I don’t see people falling out over it.I think people in general are bored of the whole thing.

Northern Monkey 25-01-2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Withano (Post 10418635)
Makes sense considering the opposing view is like. Good.

What?

Only good to you if you share that view.

Smithy 25-01-2019 07:03 AM

These the leavers that are threatening to riot if Brexit doesn’t happen? :think:

armand.kay 25-01-2019 07:20 AM

aren't leavers the ones who explain "BREXIT MEANS BREXIT" on every televised forum weather than actually discussing the logistics of it all.

Alf 25-01-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10418728)
These the leavers that are threatening to riot if Brexit doesn’t happen? :think:

I hope so, it would be scary and an act of submission if they did nothing.

Cherie 25-01-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Monkey (Post 10418706)
This for me.

My best mate and family are all remainers wheras i voted leave.
We don’t even talk about Brexit,Just doesn’t come up.

I don’t see all this apparent division there’s supposed to be around the country.

Quite a few of my family and in-laws voted remain.I think we’ve talked about it once and then just not really mentioned it again.

I don’t see people falling out over it.I think people in general are bored of the whole thing.

same, we just laugh about it

LeatherTrumpet 25-01-2019 08:16 AM

:hehe:

the fumes

Cherie 25-01-2019 08:17 AM

Leavers will be more tolerant as they are generally older and that generations seems to tolerate more than most :hee:

LeatherTrumpet 25-01-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10418758)
Leavers will be more tolerant as they are generally older and that generations seems to tolerate more than most :hee:

yep and less likely to go on to social media to fume to get da likes

:hee:

Cherie 25-01-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10418728)

do you have a link for that, my understanding is that the government have suggested that might happen and have put the army on standby....not seen any leaver group threatening to riot, and I am a remainer btw

bitontheslide 25-01-2019 08:30 AM

Just wondering how tolerance in this case is measured objectively, it seems more like a "feeling" :think:

armand.kay 25-01-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10418758)

girl I beg to differ

armand.kay 25-01-2019 08:55 AM

the older generation can't even tolerate their favourite juice being discontinued

Nicky91 25-01-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10418760)
yep and less likely to go on to social media to fume to get da likes

:hee:

*sees Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Farage getting a lot of likes on social media each day*

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ne7aenG4oM1Py/giphy.gif

Niamh. 25-01-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10418537)
Surely a lot of that is down to beliefs about the actual implications, though.

For Leavers;

Option 1: "I get what I want"
Option 2: "Everything stays the same as now so whatever"

For remainers:

Option 1: "Everything stays the same as now"
Option 2: "Utter ****ing chaos"

Yeah I would have thought that too tbf ^^

LeatherTrumpet 25-01-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 10418783)
girl I beg to differ

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 10418787)
the older generation can't even tolerate their favourite juice being discontinued

You should learn to be more tolerant

i expect as you get older this will come more freely to you?