ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   NASA scraps first all female spacewalk (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355323)

Cherie 28-03-2019 08:00 AM

NASA scraps first all female spacewalk

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/news/na...ize-ncna987296

A much-anticipated first all-female spacewalk scheduled for Friday has been scrapped because the International Space Station is not carrying enough spacesuits in the right size.

Astronauts Anne McClain and Christina Koch were scheduled to do the spacewalk together but those plans have been changed "due in part to spacesuit availability on the station," NASA said in a statement Monday.

The agency said that McClain realized during her first spacewalk with fellow astronaut Nick Hague on March 22 that a medium-sized hard upper torso, which the agency calls "the shirt of the spacesuit," fits her best.

NASA cancels 1st all-female spacewalk due to spacesuit size issues
MARCH 26, 201900:29
"Because only one medium-size torso can be made ready by Friday, Koch will wear it," NASA said.

Koch will now go out on a spacewalk with Hague on March 29 while McClain is tentatively scheduled to perform her next spacewalk — the third in this series — on April 8 with Canadian astronaut David Saint-Jacques.

Neither Koch nor McClain commented on the change of plans on their Twitter accounts, which astronauts frequently use to post updates from the space station.

The announcement caused a stir on social media with many questioning why NASA does not have enough spacesuits that fit women on the space station.

"Gotta love the irony that because women have never spacewalked together before there aren't enough suits so the spacewalk can't happen," one Twitter user said. "What a joke."

NASA spokeswoman Stephanie Schierholz told NBC News there are two medium-sized hard upper torso components of the spacesuit on the station, but one of them is a spare that would need additional work to be configured for use.

Recommended
NEWS
Man stopped by ICE uses 'know your rights' training, prevents immigrants' arrest
NEWS
Woman who pushed friend off bridge sentenced to 2 days in jail
"It is more efficient to swap spacewalkers than to reconfigure the elements of the spacesuit," she said in a written statement, adding that spacesuits are not “one size fits all” and an optimally fitted spacesuit improves an astronaut’s ability to accomplish tasks.

NASA further explained their decision in a tweet Tuesday.

"To clarify, we have more than 1 medium size spacesuit torso aboard, but to stay on schedule with @Space_Station upgrades, it’s safer & faster to change spacewalker assignments than reconfigure spacesuits," the tweet said.

She said McClain trained in both a large suit and a medium suit on the ground, but sizing needs of crew members may change when they are in orbit.

The all-female spacewalk was supposed to feature McClain and Koch in space, aided on the ground by flight directors Mary Lawrence and Kristen Facciol at NASA's Mission Control at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

:umm2:

LeatherTrumpet 28-03-2019 08:09 AM

I find these NASA spacesuits always come up on the big size..

Vicky. 28-03-2019 08:31 AM

I find this bizarre..how on earth can there not be enough suits..surely they have spares 'incase'!

Toy Soldier 28-03-2019 08:34 AM

I mean, really it's just an oversight surely? It's hardly controversial, I imagine they don't have many space suits at all... But someone should clearly have thought of this when the walk was first being planned, seems a hit haphazard for it to be noticed at the last minute :umm2:.

LeatherTrumpet 28-03-2019 09:08 AM

its something to do with that the suits are very old and when they were made no one envisioned that a women would be involved

i heard it on the radio

Kazanne 28-03-2019 09:15 AM

Maybe they should make more suits for women.

bitontheslide 28-03-2019 09:20 AM

Surely the women can get their sewing kits out and do the necessary adjustments :think:

LeatherTrumpet 28-03-2019 09:22 AM

and yes their bum will look big in that

arista 28-03-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10489593)
I find this bizarre..how on earth can there not be enough suits..surely they have spares 'incase'!

Maybe its a Male Plot.
To Stuff the Women

Cherie 28-03-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10489596)
I mean, really it's just an oversight surely? It's hardly controversial, I imagine they don't have many space suits at all... But someone should clearly have thought of this when the walk was first being planned, seems a hit haphazard for it to be noticed at the last minute :umm2:.

Its an essential piece of kit, its not like you can go up there in a trackie, so the fact that nobody even thought of it is genuinely staggering to me at any rate, I don't think it is controversial however I do think it shows how piss poor some people are at their jobs these days, just surprised some man didn't immediately identify as a female so he could get on board :fan:

Livia 28-03-2019 10:46 AM

Woman invited out for space walk... has nothing to wear.