ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Nicola Mclean: "Obese model portrayed in Gillette advert portrays unhealthy image" (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355660)

reece(: 09-04-2019 09:24 PM

Nicola Mclean: "Obese model portrayed in Gillette advert portrays unhealthy image"

Quote:

The Gillette Venus advert featuring a plus-size model sparked a live TV debate that descended into fat-shaming. The model in the advert, Anna O’Brien, is pictured wearing a bikini on the beach with her arms in the air. Gillette Venus shared the ad with the caption: ‘Go out and slay the day’.

The online responses to the campaign haven’t been kind, and the harsh comments continued offline as it came up for discussion on Jeremy Vine. On Tuesday’s show, host Anne Diamond took a call from a woman who said she used to weigh 34 stone. Admitting that she had been fat-shamed in the past, she added: ‘I’ll be honest, I don’t agree with this advert at all. That’s not plus, that’s super super super super plus and I think she looks disgusting. ‘I used to be bigger than that and again I think it’s unhealthy and I think a lot of people that are super-sized, they won’t admit it but I think there’s a lot of mental health issues behind there.’

She went on: ‘I used to comfort eat, I still comfort eat, I still struggle with my weight. I’m a size 20 at the moment, and it’s not easy but that is not a positive image to be putting out there.’ Anne then went to model and plus size lifestyle blogger Stephanie Yeboah, who said: ‘I think it’s very damaging to shame people into losing weight. ‘I think also, studies have shown that if you try and shame fat people into losing weight it has a detrimental effect.’ Anna, also known as Glitter and Lazers, was praised by Gillette for ‘living out loud’.

They said in a statement: ‘Venus is committed to representing beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, and skin types because ALL types of beautiful skin deserve to be shown. ‘We love Anna because she lives out loud and loves her skin no matter how the “rules” say she should display it.’
Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/09/fat-s...7/?ito=cbshare

RileyH 09-04-2019 09:26 PM

omg she's absolutely massive

RileyH 09-04-2019 09:26 PM

yeah that's not healthy :skull:

Smithy 09-04-2019 09:30 PM

She’s kinda right I guess, being that size isn’t healthy in the slightest

Liam- 09-04-2019 09:34 PM

As much as I’m against body shaming, she’s right, it’s not good to romanticise unhealthy lifestyles

Elliot 09-04-2019 09:35 PM

She’s right tbh. Mean McLean spilling the tea :clap1:

We’re all for representation and inclusion but whenever someone anorexic is glorified ppl get mad (and rightfully so in a lot of ways). Always kinda annoyed me it doesn’t work the other way with obese models

smudgie 09-04-2019 09:39 PM

Big girls.
Up to them how they lead their lives.:shrug:
Wouldn’t mind betting they have better personalities than Nicola Mclean.

Jordan. 09-04-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

That’s not plus, that’s super super super super plus and I think she looks disgusting
Nn

Amy Jade 09-04-2019 09:44 PM

I agree with Nicola. Growing up a piled on weight due to bullying and only really snapped out of it at about 14 or 15 and honestly looking at women that overweight and seeing them celebrated is so unhealthy. There would outrage if a girl so skinny she had bones protruding all over was glamorized in the same way.

Being slightly over weight can be beautiful but the women in the adverts are dangerously obese.

Toy Soldier 09-04-2019 09:51 PM

Well yes I'm not going to say that advertising should steer clear of various body shapes and sizes in the normal range, but at that size it's very unlikely that there WON'T be upcoming health complications and ignoring that is probably the wrong move.

Gillette is really knocking it out of the park at the moment...

Strictly Jake 09-04-2019 09:59 PM

There is a lot I could say about this but I don't want to get banned. All I'm going to say is she will be finding it hard to use a Gillette razor in a lot of places...

Barry. 09-04-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShakeyJake10 (Post 10502208)
There is a lot I could say about this but I don't want to get banned. All I'm going to say is she will be finding it hard to use a Gillette razor in a lot of places...

Banned.

I agree with what people have said though.

Tony Montana 09-04-2019 11:02 PM

Did Nicola lie tho?

LaLaLand 09-04-2019 11:17 PM

I agree. & I'm huge :omgno:

"I may be fat, but YYYYyyyooooOUUUUUU are SUMIN' ELSE!" :laugh2:

hijaxers 10-04-2019 05:57 AM

Sorry but i'd have guessed from photo's she was from my 300lb family ~ not modelling.

arista 10-04-2019 06:17 AM

Yes It is not healthy to be that FAT

bitontheslide 10-04-2019 06:29 AM

Gillette did it knowing full well it would create controversy/discussion, I won't pander to their marketing. Wouldn't surprise me if Nicola were being paid by gillette to stir it up.

Ammi 10-04-2019 07:16 AM

...looking at very underweight models and it making her think she needs to lose weight isn’t a healthy mindset either...rather than ‘shame’ these ladies I would have thought she would have showed more thought and sensitivity and understanding as it’s exactly the same as when she was ‘celebrated for being thin’ as she said...I agree with Stephanie Yeboah, whoever she is...being obese is obviously a health issue but I don’t think ‘shaming’ is the way or is helpful...I agree with bots, it does feel as though these ladies are being exploited by Gillette which doesn’t seem to serve any positive purpose...

Nicky91 10-04-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10502378)
Yes It is not healthy to be that FAT

true, too much fat can lead to problems with your heart

same how too much salt on your food is also bad for your heart

chuff me dizzy 10-04-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10502175)
Big girls.
Up to them how they lead their lives.:shrug:
Wouldn’t mind betting they have better personalities than Nicola Mclean.

I agree

LeatherTrumpet 10-04-2019 09:24 AM

what are they trying to say other than buy our overpriced goods?

idgi

Vicky. 10-04-2019 09:30 AM

OK yeah, I am against body shaming and that, plus am quite overweight myself at the min ( :( ) but theres plus sized, and then there is giant. I don't like it when they use anorexic type models, so would be quite hypocritical to be for this really. Larger models (hell, half the time a size 10-12 is classed as plus sized..which is obviously wrong) are of course fine, and tbh I kind of think there should be more 'average sized' models...like say 8-16 or something rather than semingly all sized 4s, but this takes the piss a bit.

Oliver_W 10-04-2019 09:31 AM

I'm disappointed we can't see a lost razor handle sticking out of one of her folds.

Vicky. 10-04-2019 09:32 AM

Nichola could of course have put it in a nicer way, but being a complete bitch seems to be her selling point so :shrug:

Livia 10-04-2019 10:02 AM

Yes, the woman in the advert is obese, it's not healthy.... but she already knows all that without some no mark insulting her. And she can always lose weight.

Conversely, Nicola McLean will always be a vacuous, uneducated, tactless bitch. The older she's getting the more timber she's piling on herself. Hopefully soon some younger, prettier woman will start calling her names.