ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Mother blames Netflix for her 12 year old daughters suicide (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356427)

arista 06-05-2019 06:01 AM

Mother blames Netflix for her 12 year old daughters suicide

https://storify.com/services/proxy/2...ailyMirror.jpg

Should a 12 year old
be able to watch anything on Netflix?

Is the real questions

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...weeks-15002271

Ammi 06-05-2019 06:32 AM

...very, very sad...:sad:...it would make sense that it was the other way around though...that Jessica may have been drawn and connecting to the show and the storyline of it because of her own self harming feelings...poor girl/poor family...

Mokka 06-05-2019 06:36 AM

A kid that my kid grew up with committed suicide right after the first season dropped... using the same method as the main character. You can't tell me that was a coincidence.

Shaun 06-05-2019 07:08 AM

A 30% spike in suicide rates is pretty damning as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/3...h-suicide-rate

Just a ghastly concept of a show packaged in the most dangerous and teen-baiting way possible. Everyone involved should be ashamed.

bitontheslide 06-05-2019 07:16 AM

i refused to watch that series, and I don't know why anyone would either make such a show or watch it. I can't believe it would get a high ratings

Vicky. 06-05-2019 07:43 AM

I am usually very against blaming shows/games/whatever for stuff like this. And I do think there will be more things at play than just the show, however...I watched this and can well see how teens and that would think it was a good idea to copycat. It was all made out to be such a great way to get revenge..look..everyone will realise they were actually twats if you just cut your wrists in the bath! Quite gross really.

LeatherTrumpet 06-05-2019 07:48 AM

shaun called it right. teen baiting for ratings so that people in their 20s and 30s who write and make the show can get praise.

vile

Livia 06-05-2019 09:48 AM

I agree with Sean too.

Toy Soldier 06-05-2019 10:22 AM

Suicide can be and has been handled sensitively in TV and film. But not by this. I could only get through a couple of episodes, mainly because it's trash and not in a good way, but also because the message is horrendous.

Essentially, it says "You can successfully take revenge on the people who have hurt you, by killing yourself. Then everyone will understand, you can win, and be at peace."

It frames suicide as some sort of act of personal empowerment.

Its gross, dangerous, and also, not even true.

Amy Jade 06-05-2019 10:28 AM

I've never seen it to judge, does it really glorify suicide?

Ammi 06-05-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 10540069)
I've never seen it to judge, does it really glorify suicide?

...nor me, Amy...I haven’t ever seen the series or knew that the storyline was in some way glorifying suicide of young people as some type of ‘revenge’...as Mokka, Shaun and TS seem familiar with it I’ll bow to their knowledge and thoughts about it...

Amy Jade 06-05-2019 10:45 AM

I might give it a watch.

Lots of people said the Netflix movie 'To the Bone' was glamourising eating disorders but having watched it I disagreed and thought it was very honest.

Liam- 06-05-2019 10:50 AM

Having seen the show, I don’t agree that it was glorifying suicide, it did show it a grotesque way, but I think that was more of a way to highlight what actually happens when you do that, I can’t see it being an inspiration for people to kill themselves, even though it probably did give them an idea of how to do it if they were already thinking abouht it, at the end of the day, 12 is still an age where you should be seeing what they watch on tv and 13 reasons why isn’t exactly a show they should be watching, at least not on their own anyway imo

Nicky91 06-05-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10540079)
Having seen the show, I don’t agree that it was glorifying suicide, it did show it a grotesque way, but I think that was more of a way to highlight what actually happens when you do that, I can’t see it being an inspiration for people to kill themselves, even though it probably did give them an idea of how to do it, at the end of the day, 12 is still an age where you should be seeing what they watch on tv and 13 reasons why isn’t exactly a show they should be watching, at least not on their own anyway imo

they give that advice before the episodes though, not to watch it alone

RileyH 06-05-2019 10:55 AM

Why was she watching it anyway

RileyH 06-05-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10540079)
Having seen the show, I don’t agree that it was glorifying suicide, it did show it a grotesque way, but I think that was more of a way to highlight what actually happens when you do that, I can’t see it being an inspiration for people to kill themselves, even though it probably did give them an idea of how to do it if they were already thinking abouht it, at the end of the day, 12 is still an age where you should be seeing what they watch on tv and 13 reasons why isn’t exactly a show they should be watching, at least not on their own anyway imo

:clap1:

chuff me dizzy 06-05-2019 11:21 AM

The onus is on the parents to supervise what their children watch

Nicky91 06-05-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10540103)
The onus is on the parents to supervise what their children watch

+1

thisisdanny 06-05-2019 11:29 AM

I've seen it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and would go as far as saying it's one of the most interesting series I've watched tbh. I can't usually binge watch anything cos I have low attention span lol but this I was hooked and couldn't stop watching. (S1 anyway)

However I agree with Liam. It didn't show suicide in the right way imo but it certainly didn't glorify it. It didn't just focus on the revenge side though it focused on the consequences, like the reaction of Hannah's parents etc.

And iirc there is actually a warning message before the series, and at the age of 12 you shouldn't be watching something like this.

Cherie 06-05-2019 11:36 AM

I'm not sure about it glorifying suicide either, the aftermath with the parents was pretty full on, and what are we saying here that some media has more influence than others?

Also the 30 per cent spike, what is that based on? teenage suicide in the US? so 30 teens in very 100 commit suicide, it seems a very high percentage?

bitontheslide 06-05-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10540115)
I'm not sure about it glorifying suicide either, the aftermath with the parents was pretty full on, and what are we saying here that some media has more influence than others?

Also the 30 per cent spike, what is that based on? teenage suicide in the US? so 30 teens in very 100 commit suicide, it seems a very high percentage?

isnt it more that if there were 100 suicides then a 30% increase would have been 130

Withano 06-05-2019 11:50 AM

Completely plausible, that show was disgraceful

chuff me dizzy 06-05-2019 11:50 AM

Apparently this girl had mental health problems, so even more reason to monitor IMO

Withano 06-05-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10540115)

Thats not what a 30% spike means. It’s basically means 1.3 times higher than the orginal figure.

Take 30% of what it used to be + what it used to be = new suicide rate

Nicky91 06-05-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy (Post 10540122)
Apparently this girl had mental health problems, so even more reason to monitor IMO

yup, she should've first of all not watched that on her own AND also should've gotten lots of help for mental health problems by experts

so it is very easy for the Mother to blame netflix while it basically isn't them at the blame