ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Debate between right wing and left wing LGBT people (Vice Media) (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359008)

Oliver_W 06-07-2019 06:52 PM

Debate between right wing and left wing LGBT people (Vice Media)

Interesting debate, covering things like their thoughts on Trump, adding extra letters to LGBT, the military ban, "nonbinary" people, all sorts!

The best one was the transwoman with long brown hair near the end on the front row; the worst was the MAGA hat guy in the middle.

TIMECODES OF WHAT WAS DISCUSSED
00:55 - Who identifies as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community?
1:03 - Panelist’s introductions - how do you identify yourself?
2:12 - Is Pride still relevant / useful / important?
4:41 - What is the definition of queer? Who identifies as queer? Is it a slur? Should the community embrace the term?
9:38 - Do you feel represented by acronym LGBTQIA+ ? Are there too many letters?
12:58 - Do you politically lean left or right?
12:21 - For conservatives/Republicans, who did you vote for in the last election? Do you support Trump?
15:02 - Have Trump’s policies helped or harmed the LGBTQIA+ community?
15:25 - Trump and the Central Park 5
16:59 - The military banning transgender people from serving
18:29 - Thoughts on democratic candidates for 2020
20:50 - For Lucy and Sara: if they don't vote for Trump, who are they going to vote for

TIMECODES OF WHAT WAS DISCUSSED
00:29 - does Pete Buttigieg being gay make you want to vote for him?
2:08 - Identity Politics (things get heated)
3:20 - Pete Buttigieg as representation for LGBTQ+ people
3:55 - How do people feel about the terms GNC ("gender non-conforming") and "non-binary?"
11:08 - do you feel welcomed by the LGBTQ+ community?
14:29 - The Gender Binary

JoshBB 06-07-2019 06:56 PM

LGBT trump fans.. god. Actual idiots.

Liam- 06-07-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 10617970)

Like slugs asking for salt

arista 06-07-2019 07:26 PM

Meanwhile in London Today

Oliver_W 06-07-2019 07:28 PM

It's interesting how the people with the laundry lists of identities and/or stating pronouns and/or use "queer" are all lefties, while those who are simply LGBT are all right wing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 10617970)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10617976)
Like slugs asking for salt

Maybe some people have nuance in their views, not everything is black and white :)

Ant. 06-07-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10618036)
Maybe some people have nuance in their views, not everything is black and white :)

Sorta like gender :)

Oliver_W 06-07-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant. (Post 10618044)
Sorta like gender :)

Yup, if you're born as he or she, you can transition to the opposite.

Oliver_W 06-07-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10618026)

Meanwhile in London Today

It's countries like his that actually need Pride.

Mokka 06-07-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10618053)
It's countries like his that actually need Pride.

All countries need Pride. If you think that 1st world countries don't have parents just like this you are mistaken. Many youth in Canada, USA and the UK have parents that disown them, throw them out, threaten or commit violence towards their own children for being LGBTQ. I watched a video the other day where a politician in the USA flat out said he would drown his kids if they came out to him.

Liam- 06-07-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10618036)
It's interesting how the people with the laundry lists of identities and/or stating pronouns and/or use "queer" are all lefties, while those who are simply LGBT are all right wing.

Well that’s false, I’m a gay man, hate ‘queer’ being used as an identity and I’m certainly not right wing

Matthew. 06-07-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokka (Post 10618069)
All countries need Pride. If you think that 1st world countries don't have parents just like this you are mistaken. Many youth in Canada, USA and the UK have parents that disown them, throw them out, threaten or commit violence towards their own children for being LGBTQ. I watched a video the other day where a politician in the USA flat out said he would drown his kids if they came out to him.

:clap1:

I saw that video too, scary

Mokka 06-07-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10618082)
Well that’s false, I’m a gay man, hate ‘queer’ being used as an identity and I’m certainly not right wing

Why do you hate queer as an identity?
Just curious... I volunteer for a woman and queer night with one of the organizations I deal with... and I still find people get caught up in queer being in the title.

Liam- 06-07-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokka (Post 10618085)
Why do you hate queer as an identity?
Just curious... I volunteer for a woman and queer night with one of the organizations I deal with... and I still find people get caught up in queer being in the title.

Idk, it’s just a personal thing, I’ve grown up with that word being a negative thing used against gays and it’s like, I’m not going to identify as that because there’s nothing wrong with me, it probably doesn’t make sense but I just don’t feel like there’s any need for it, gay will suffice

Vicky. 06-07-2019 08:06 PM

Most of my gay mates hate queer also. Mainly as it was used as a slur against them most of their lives, so they find it hard to 'embrace' a word thats been used to hurt them. So they don't, as they don't want to. If others want to define themsves that way its fine by them, but..anything to do with 'queer' they tend to stay away from. Also they say that people who say thats their identity, are just saying it to be part of the rainbow. Like, people who have a kink define themselves as queer these days. Or just young students who fancied a girl once but are straight now, queer to be part of the group, maybe dyes hair blue to prove it. This seems to not be an uncommon view among older LGBT people (who dealt with a lot of homophobia when younger, much more than is around today, speaking generally) either. That queer is really just a label, rather than an actual identity.

Oliver_W 06-07-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10618096)
maybe dyes hair blue to prove it

I think they call that aposematism :joker:

Vicky. 06-07-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10618104)
I think they call that aposematism :joker:

:D