ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Should hands free phone calls be banned whilst driving. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360293)

parmnion 13-08-2019 08:58 AM

Should hands free phone calls be banned whilst driving.

I think it should, but not sure how you would police it

smudgie 13-08-2019 10:23 AM

Yes.

Niamh. 13-08-2019 10:24 AM

No, it's hands free, that would be like banning talking to passengers while driving

bitontheslide 13-08-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10657203)
No, it's hands free, that would be like banning talking to passengers while driving

yep, or listening to the stereo

Northern Monkey 13-08-2019 10:38 AM

No,We should ban hands free driving while on the phone.

joeysteele 13-08-2019 10:45 AM

I don't know really.

I think it desirable to set stops to check your phones.
It is different talking to passengers as they like you, are looking at the road too.

Even though, just walking talking on a phone, your near full attention can be focussed on the call.
So concentration impaired.

I never use any phone while driving.
I stop at selected places to then check my phone and deal with anything urgent.

I see no reason to use a phone except in an emergency when driving.
How on earth did people and businesses manage before, when they didn't exist.

On balance I'd lean to avoiding use of them including hands free.
Banning the hands free too, I'm not sure how that could be properly policed as others have said here.

Niamh. 13-08-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 10657213)
I don't know really.

I think it desirable to set stops to check your phones.
It is different talking to passengers as they like you, are looking at the road too.

Even though, just walking talking on a phone, your near full attention can be focussed on the call.
So concentration impaired.

I never use any phone while driving.
I stop at selected places to then check my phone and deal with anything urgent.

I see no reason to use a phone except in an emergency when driving.
How on earth did people and businesses manage before, when they didn't exist.

On balance I'd lean to avoiding use of them including hands free.
Banning the hands free too, I'm not sure how that could be properly policed as others have said here.

I don't get this logic though, why does it matter if the passenger is looking at the road or not, they're not driving?

joeysteele 13-08-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10657215)
I don't get this logic though, why does it matter if the passenger is looking at the road or not, they're not driving?

Well they can too warn of anything appearing a phone cannot.
It's the same logic to me anyway as to people just walking.
I've seen innumerable times now, 2 people walking and talking, still alert at times of crossing roads.
Whereas on a phone talking, I've seen so many times, the person just step out in the road, not even looking.

In any road vehicle being driven, you need full concentration.
If you don't have that with a phone generally, I think hands free is as bad.
You may have 2 hands then on the wheel but the focus is still on concentrating on the call.

Niamh. 13-08-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 10657238)
Well they can too warn of anything appearing a phone cannot.
It's the same logic to me anyway as to people just walking.
I've seen innumerable times now, 2 people walking and talking, still alert at times of crossing roads.
Whereas on a phone talking, I've seen so many times, the person just step out in the road, not even looking.

In any road vehicle being driven, you need full concentration.
If you don't have that with a phone generally, I think hands free is as bad.
You may have 2 hands then on the wheel but the focus is still on concentrating on the call.

You can't rely on a passenger to warn you of stuff on the road, that's ridiculous. Speaking on hands free is exactly the same as speaking to someone in the car, infact you could argue that speaking to someone who's physically in the car with you is more distracting as the temptation to look at them if they're describing something etc is there which it isn't if someone is on the phone

Toy Soldier 13-08-2019 11:38 AM

The main problem with people and phones isn't even whether it's hands free... It's messaging and social media. People actually LOOKING at their phone / typing out messages while driving. Last time we were going down to England, we were doing >70 on the M6 and I noticed that the guy behind us had his phone propped on the steering wheel and was clearly typing. Just crazy! He was also close enough to see him clearly which is probably too close anyway - and if we had needed to brake even slightly I can't see how there's any way he would know in time to slow down? We just moved into another lane but I reported his reg later. Who knows if anything came of it :think:. But I have heard of police going to people's houses to give a warning based on members of the public reporting phone use. I don't think they can actually apply points or anything if its not evidenced / witnessed by police but they'll come and tell you off :joker:.

joeysteele 13-08-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10657240)
You can't rely on a passenger to warn you of stuff on the road, that's ridiculous. Speaking on hands free is exactly the same as speaking to someone in the car, infact you could argue that speaking to someone who's physically in the car with you is more distracting as the temptation to look at them if they're describing something etc is there which it isn't if someone is on the phone

Its not ridiculous at all.
I never also said anyone should rely on passengers to warn of anything anyway.
At least talking to another person, rather than a machine, means 2 sets of eyes available.

When I was a teen, many times on long journeys as a passenger.
I've also VOLUNTARILY, not being relied on, watched the road.
Looking for directions on signs etc.

A phone cannot and doesn't do that.

It's not a ridiculous thing at all as you state.
Far from it actually..
In my view.

Niamh. 13-08-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 10657248)
Its not ridiculous at all.
I never also said anyone should rely on passengers to warn of anything anyway.
At least talking to another person, rather than a machine, means 2 sets of eyes available.

When I was a teen, many times on long journeys as a passenger.
I've also VOLUNTARILY, not being relied on, watched the road.
Looking for directions on signs etc.

A phone cannot and doesn't do that.

It's not a ridiculous thing at all as you state.
Far from it actually..
In my view.

So you're arguing that having an extra person watching the road is better than driving alone? Ok but that isn't the discussion, it's whether hands free is dangerous while driving, imo it's as dangerous as talking to a passenger while driving

Niamh. 13-08-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10657245)
The main problem with people and phones isn't even whether it's hands free... It's messaging and social media. People actually LOOKING at their phone / typing out messages while driving. Last time we were going down to England, we were doing >70 on the M6 and I noticed that the guy behind us had his phone propped on the steering wheel and was clearly typing. Just crazy! He was also close enough to see him clearly which is probably too close anyway - and if we had needed to brake even slightly I can't see how there's any way he would know in time to slow down? We just moved into another lane but I reported his reg later. Who knows if anything came of it :think:. But I have heard of police going to people's houses to give a warning based on members of the public reporting phone use. I don't think they can actually apply points or anything if its not evidenced / witnessed by police but they'll come and tell you off :joker:.

Oh yeah, now that is dangerous and idiotic.

Cherie 13-08-2019 11:47 AM

In all honesty and I don't know why but when a call comes in on hands free it does tend to distract me, even just hitting accept :laugh: I think if you are changing music or something you wait until you are in slow traffic or stopped you wouldn't do it going 70 on the motorway at least I wouldn't, and if a call comes in and I am driving fast I tend to ignore it, if it comes in and I am slow moving or stopped its fine :omgno:

Cherie 13-08-2019 11:49 AM

The only way you could police it is to take the tech out of cars, but then people would just answer their phones which is worse

Glenn. 13-08-2019 12:00 PM

No it shouldn’t be banned.

Kate! 13-08-2019 12:04 PM

Yes it should be banned.

AnnieK 13-08-2019 12:19 PM

I personally think smoking and eating and drinking is more distracting. Just chatting hands free when looking at the road is fine.....any keyboard using is a no no but I cant see what the issue with talking is

joeysteele 13-08-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10657249)
So you're arguing that having an extra person watching the road is better than driving alone? Ok but that isn't the discussion, it's whether hands free is dangerous while driving, imo it's as dangerous as talking to a passenger while driving

No I'm not saying that at all.

Hey plenty on here said it should be banned.
Ask them why.
I didn't even say it should be banned.
I said I didn't see how it could be properly policed.

Anyone driving alone is fine.
Just not distracted by a mobile or hands free.

I would never, that's my view.
I would take stops to check the phone then deal with calls.
That's my take on this, it may not be yours but to me I consider that the safer thing to do.

Liam- 13-08-2019 01:37 PM

No, I think it’s a ludicrous suggestion, next you won’t be able to listen to music because you get distracted when singing along, as long as you’re not actually operating the phone, there’s no problem

bitontheslide 13-08-2019 01:48 PM

there are a million and one things that can distract a driver ... other motorists on the road ... pedestrians .... shops ... adverts .... take your pick and ban em all :D

Toy Soldier 13-08-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10657351)
there are a million and one things that can distract a driver ... other motorists on the road ... pedestrians .... shops ... adverts .... take your pick and ban em all :D

I actually think some of the big flashy billboard ads in the roadside should be banned because they ARE quite distracting. I mean, they're deliberately designed to draw your eye to them (and off the road!). That can't be sensible :think:.