ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Class warfare, is this what corbyn wants? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361138)

parmnion 10-09-2019 03:20 PM

Class warfare, is this what corbyn wants?

Corbyn has announced the next labour government (good luck with that) will bring the biggest boost to trade union powers since the 70s. ...living in the past if you ask me, but what do you think?

Is this a good move, or just a direct move designed to fit into today's feelings of people opposed to the current government?

Tom4784 10-09-2019 03:28 PM

This is one of the most worrisome arguments I've seen mostly because I know it's a common one. People love their shackles and it's their oppressors that have made them think that way.

If the idea of the working class having more sway and control over their own destiny equates to 'class warfare' to you then you're exactly where the people who want to preserve the status quo wants you to be.

parmnion 10-09-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10675327)
This is one of the most worrisome arguments I've seen mostly because I know it's a common one. People love their shackles and it's their oppressors that have made them think that way.

If the idea of the working class having more sway and control over their own destiny equates to 'class warfare' to you then you're exactly where the people who want to preserve the status quo wants you to be.

It wasn't my opinion, it's the opinion of a writer for the metro....so discuss them not me..

But to take the uk back to the dark old days of the unions holding so much power is a huge backwards step..for example..if the bin men went on strike now...!!!

Can you imagine the state of London and Glasgow and any other large xity who's rubbish is already piled up to an alarming level...well ewwww..plus the things they would strike for these days would be so minor due to everyone's rights being so different today than they were years ago...it is not the way to go and seems to me that it's just another of corbyn people pleasing policies that he hasn't spent more than a minute thinking about.

joeysteele 10-09-2019 04:15 PM

I'm only 27 and I would have supported the Con governments changes initially to the Trade Unions in the 80s.

Over the last few years, looking at things and looking back.
I think things have been moved way too much away from the Trade Unions.

I would support more rights and bite to be addressed as to the Unions now.
Believing things need to be swung back after being taken to too much of extremes away from them.

So for me.
I support this likely move by Corbyn and Labour.
Actually I think it's overdue too.

Tom4784 10-09-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10675367)
It wasn't my opinion, it's the opinion of a writer for the metro....so discuss them not me..

But to take the uk back to the dark old days of the unions holding so much power is a huge backwards step..for example..if the bin men went on strike now...!!!

Can you imagine the state of London and Glasgow and any other large xity who's rubbish is already piled up to an alarming level...well ewwww..plus the things they would strike for these days would be so minor due to everyone's rights being so different today than they were years ago...it is not the way to go and seems to me that it's just another of corbyn people pleasing policies that he hasn't spent more than a minute thinking about.

So.... You're against more worker rights because of a hypothetical minor inconvenience?

parmnion 10-09-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10675376)
So.... You're against more worker rights because of a hypothetical minor inconvenience?

Workers have much more rights these days than they have ever had....handing the power to the unions again will just drag us back into the dark ages of strike after strike ..a place we don't need to be ever again.

Twosugars 10-09-2019 04:38 PM

I cautiously welcome this.

Workers today are reduced to drones while fat cats take all the cream.
Gig economy

parmnion 10-09-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twosugars (Post 10675397)
I cautiously welcome this.

Workers today are reduced to drones while fat cats take all the cream.
Gig economy

I disagree with that, workers today are far from drones..they have a lot of say on things in the workplace compared to the dark old days of unions.

hijaxers 10-09-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10675379)
Workers have much more rights these days than they have ever had....handing the power to the unions again will just drag us back into the dark ages of strike after strike ..a place we don't need to be ever again.

Are you for real ? workers have had and are having their rights eroded on a daily basis ~ ask any Royal Mail worker as one example.

parmnion 10-09-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hijaxers (Post 10675425)
Are you for real ? workers have had and are having their rights eroded on a daily basis ~ ask any Royal Mail worker as one example.

I would if I could catch up with one...they are all to fast swanning about in the shorts they are allowed to wear nowadays.

The Slim Reaper 10-09-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10675431)
I would if I could catch up with one...they are all to fast swanning about in the shorts they are allowed to wear nowadays.

Enjoy your 40hr work week, overtime, holiday pay, maternity/paternity pay Parm, while you fight for the rights of the people who would rather take it away.

Ammi 11-09-2019 04:10 AM

...I guess that the working equality brought by EU rights over the years has meant the unions haven’t needed to be so active...and that’s been a great thing, obviously...to have less need to protect in the workplace...but with Brexit, they’ll be such a vital thing...we wanna go back... we gotta go back, baby...tis the people’s vote...

arista 11-09-2019 07:48 AM

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cp...daily-mail.jpg

Todays Daily Mail

parmnion 11-09-2019 07:51 AM

Parmnion...feeding the daily mail since 2002

Twosugars 11-09-2019 07:56 AM

Unsurprising stance from a paper which supported Hitler

joeysteele 11-09-2019 07:56 AM

I wasn't born in the 70s however reading back.
Even with the Cons troubles with the Miners and the 3 day week.

Even perhaps the so called winter of discontent.

It still appears to be a less uncertain and fearful time, with family and community ties still more intact.
So I think I'd go for then over now.

Of course it's again an over sensationalist front page from this offensive and gutter trash rag.
Ignoring what damage this PM and Con Party are doing now.
Utter load if rubbish.

Which the rabid heartless hard-line Con supporters will love and believe without question.

Twosugars 11-09-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10675981)

Rich from a brexit paper which wants to drag us back to the 70s before the country joined the EEC

MB. 11-09-2019 08:08 AM

All workplaces should be unionised :)

MB. 11-09-2019 08:11 AM

also, I find it hilarious that this front page has that headline right underneath a "you can cure sickle cell disease with kiwi fruit!" story and right next to a story about a cricketer nobody under the age of 40 has ever heard of

Truly a paper for modern day Britain!

arista 11-09-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twosugars (Post 10675990)
Rich from a brexit paper which wants to drag us back to the 70s before the country joined the EEC

Not so sure the Brexit Direction, now
as the Daily Mail has a new boss.