ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Brother: BB1 - BB19 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Do you think BB would be as successful if it first aired Tonight? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361271)

reecejackox 12-09-2019 10:55 PM

Do you think BB would be as successful if it first aired Tonight?

do you think with all the other reality shows out there , would it go down well and become as successful as it was if it started out tonight?

aaronneely2017 12-09-2019 11:12 PM

I doubt it tbh, Big Brother was so successful back then because there was nothing like it, it was a brand new thing and you could argue nowadays that Big Brother is no different to other reality shows like love island, circle and geordie shore, If it weren't for Big Brother we would not have had any of these shows.

Getting back to you're question, i think the format is still strong and solid and maybe you could attract a good audience but with shows like love island it does not stand a chance unfortunately. Reality tv's main viewers are the younger generation of 16-34 year olds and i think with love islands success in the UK,

Love Island suceeds because it has a solid structure and will garner an audience every year.

I think with Big Brother if you got the right people (casting, producers,) the right format and stuck with it for a few years and like love island you could slowly but surely gain more popularity.

I'm very sorry if i have gone off topic a number of times:laugh:
But I don't think it would be as big of a success, back then reality tv was just becoming a big thing

Nicky91 13-09-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronneely2017 (Post 10677462)
I doubt it tbh, Big Brother was so successful back then because there was nothing like it, it was a brand new thing and you could argue nowadays that Big Brother is no different to other reality shows like love island, circle and geordie shore, If it weren't for Big Brother we would not have had any of these shows.

Getting back to you're question, i think the format is still strong and solid and maybe you could attract a good audience but with shows like love island it does not stand a chance unfortunately. Reality tv's main viewers are the younger generation of 16-34 year olds and i think with love islands success in the UK,

Love Island suceeds because it has a solid structure and will garner an audience every year.

I think with Big Brother if you got the right people (casting, producers,) the right format and stuck with it for a few years and like love island you could slowly but surely gain more popularity.

I'm very sorry if i have gone off topic a number of times:laugh:
But I don't think it would be as big of a success, back then reality tv was just becoming a big thing

Love Island is current right now, but eventually people will grow tired of that too, but i can see it at least in UK having life for couple more years

LI USA well not so much, maybe more something for online or a netflix to take it over for the US since Big Brother has still got an audience there

our dutch love Island is on a streaming service called videoland but not on any tv channel since it didn't do well there but it had positive feedback by those few who did watch it :)

Withano 13-09-2019 09:57 AM

2 million, max. People wouldnt devote so much time to a brand new show nowadays. Maybe 4m if it began with a short celeb version.

Strictly Jake 13-09-2019 09:59 AM

Yeah I do it would no doubt be compared to the other shows but it still has a unique factor. Remember it's big brother that started off reality TV. So basically the scenario is whenever bb started it wouldn't have competition as no programs we have no would exist if bb didn't

Jake. 13-09-2019 10:12 AM

If it’s off for 4/5 years, I could see it working (possibly). People wouldn’t be interested now though.

aaronneely2017 13-09-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10677620)
Love Island is current right now, but eventually people will grow tired of that too, but i can see it at least in UK having life for couple more years

LI USA well not so much, maybe more something for online or a netflix to take it over for the US since Big Brother has still got an audience there

our dutch love Island is on a streaming service called videoland but not on any tv channel since it didn't do well there but it had positive feedback by those few who did watch it :)

Love Island is a strong concept but i agree that it will not last for long, and with the revelation that there will be two series next year almost screams a fall in ratings for the show and even eventually an axing.

I think the one essential ingredient that will make Big Brother work in the UK is the round the clock Live Feed, Viewers love to get involved whether it be voting somebody out each week or voting in polls, Live Feed will give the viewer more interaction than ever, it also makes Big Brother stand out, whereas without live feed it is basically another 9pm show that people watch, it's the uniqueness that would make Big Brother win over Love Island and other reality shows.

It's amazing how advanced Big Brother was back then in terms of live feed shame it had to all go backwards

Denver 13-09-2019 12:27 PM

Not when the Circle exists

Nicky91 13-09-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedSkengMan (Post 10677696)
Not when the Circle exists

The Circle = random fake show with actors, actresses :fan:

and no this isn't something negative, scripted fake RTV can do well too, our dutch RTV Utopia lasted 6 years on scripted reality with beginner actors, actresses

Denver 13-09-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10677708)

and no this isn't something negative, scripted fake RTV can do well too, our dutch RTV Utopia lasted 6 years on scripted reality with beginner actors, actresses

Well it wasnt actors was it? They were all normal people something BB couldn't relate to

Marsh. 13-09-2019 04:36 PM

If BB had never existed and only started now (I think that's your question?) then I don't know as the landscape of reality TV would have been very different if BB wasn't there to kick it off.

Twosugars 13-09-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10677708)

Admit it, you rant about the circle bc you can't watch it in the Netherlands. :laugh: