ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Civil Service careers (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362500)

Cherie 09-11-2019 04:01 PM

Civil Service careers

This came up on my facebook

For the graduates looking for a career, and the undergrads looking for a summer intern

https://www.faststream.gov.uk/all-sc...SwoZ0hVE9NbdP0

arista 09-11-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10708253)
This came up on my facebook

For the graduates looking for a career, and the undergrads looking for a summer intern

https://www.faststream.gov.uk/all-sc...SwoZ0hVE9NbdP0

Yes good for any that
do not have a Hard Political View

Wizard. 09-11-2019 11:38 PM

When’s the closing date?

bitontheslide 10-11-2019 08:39 AM

i have a few friends that were life long civil servants. It takes a very particular mind set to get satisfaction from that career path. More than that, i'm not prepared to say :laugh:

Kizzy 10-11-2019 08:50 AM

Tory drones wanted, morals and empathy not preferred or essential.

DouglasS 10-11-2019 08:56 AM

I got offered a job there but changed my mind and went elsewhere, heard it’s a great place to work for though. I just didn’t want to move to London due to the prices

Cherie 10-11-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasS (Post 10708912)
I got offered a job there but changed my mind and went elsewhere, heard it’s a great place to work for though. I just didn’t want to move to London due to the prices

Says there are jobs all over depends which stream you choose

I worked in the civil service when I came to London first, it was a great job

From the FAQ

Will I have to work in London?
Many Civil Servants, including some in senior positions, work outside the South East. The majority of Fast Streamers are currently based in London, but opportunities are available in different parts of the UK. However please note that we cannot guarantee suitable posts will be available in every location.

Cherie 10-11-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10708911)
Tory drones wanted, morals and empathy not preferred or essential.

Civil servants are in post whichever party is in power :umm2:

Cherie 10-11-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10708906)
i have a few friends that were life long civil servants. It takes a very particular mind set to get satisfaction from that career path. More than that, i'm not prepared to say :laugh:

The civil service is so broad though...so many departments

Cherie 10-11-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard. (Post 10708801)
When’s the closing date?

It says most streams will start in September or October 2020

Delete the nude twitter if you choose Houses of Parliament :hehe:

bitontheslide 10-11-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10708916)
The civil service is so broad though...so many departments

I also think (hope) that the civil service has totally transformed since I started out. I know people that were in vastly different areas, from the diplomatic service, scientific research and the prison service. They all had stories to tell :laugh:

Cherie 10-11-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10708919)
I also think (hope) that the civil service has totally transformed since I started out. I know people that were in vastly different areas, from the diplomatic service, scientific research and the prison service. They all had stories to tell :laugh:

I worked in an Economic dept, I loved it but they moved out of London, and yes I have signed the Official Secrets Act :hehe:

Kizzy 10-11-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10708915)
Civil servants are in post whichever party is in power :umm2:

I'm well aware thank you, though as I'm sure you're aware the policies will differ slightly.
We see a shift in focus depending on who's in government, for example if you work for the police during a labour term it's ' the police service' and under the conservatives they are ' a police force'. Just one not so subtle difference.

Cherie 10-11-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10708940)
I'm well aware thank you, though as I'm sure you're aware the policies will differ slightly.
We see a shift in focus depending on who's in government, for example if you work for the police during a labour term it's ' the police service' and under the conservatives they are ' a police force'. Just one not so subtle difference.

so you are conceding it will be the Tories in power next year?

It really depends where you work, some policies don't change at all

bitontheslide 10-11-2019 10:03 AM

an individuals politics don't enter into what 99% of what the civil service does. Anyone that says otherwise is misinformed.

Kizzy 10-11-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10708946)
so you are conceding it will be the Tories in power next year?

It really depends where you work, some policies don't change at all

I didn't say that at all, I simply highlighted differences in ideology.

Toy Soldier 10-11-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10708952)
an individuals politics don't enter into what 99% of what the civil service does. Anyone that says otherwise is misinformed.

Hmmm... ish. I'd say to be an effective civil servant you really need to be someone who is naturally quite politically neutral and "go with the flow", otherwise you're going to find yourself very frustrated by policy. The same goes for things like working for local councils, etc.

Cherie 10-11-2019 10:45 AM

Where ever you work in the public or private sector jobs will bring their own frustrations, I always found working for the public sector easier as they are spending someone else’s cash

Cherie 10-11-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10708979)
I didn't say that at all, I simply highlighted differences in ideology.

You kinda did with your dismissive Tory drones comment

DouglasS 10-11-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10708914)
Says there are jobs all over depends which stream you choose

I worked in the civil service when I came to London first, it was a great job

From the FAQ

Will I have to work in London?
Many Civil Servants, including some in senior positions, work outside the South East. The majority of Fast Streamers are currently based in London, but opportunities are available in different parts of the UK. However please note that we cannot guarantee suitable posts will be available in every location.

The two streams I made it in only offered London positions, I think most do to be honest - it seems like a great company to work for though

Cherie 10-11-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasS (Post 10709005)
The two streams I made it in only offered London positions, I think most do to be honest - it seems like a great company to work for though

Great to get the offer though I would imagine there is a lot of interest

Kizzy 10-11-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10709002)
You kinda did with your dismissive Tory drones comment

Yes the Tories want drones to ensure their draconian policies are being implemented, that was my whole point. With any luck we'll have a new govt soon.