ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Irish Rebel song tops the UK and Irish Itune charts in backlash (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364310)

Cherie 12-01-2020 12:21 PM

Irish Rebel song tops the UK and Irish Itune charts in backlash

:clap1:

https://www.irishpost.com/news/come-...-charts-176868

SORRY MAROON 5, you've been beaten.
The Wolfe Tones' Irish rebel anthem Come Out Ye Black and Tans has shot to the number one spot on the iTunes charts in Ireland and the UK, seemingly as part of a unique campaign to protest against the planned commemorations of the RIC and DMP, which was cancelled due to public backlash.
The live version of the fenian track surpassed Maroon 5, Lewis Capaldi, Dance Monkey, Endor and Dua Lipa as it rocketed through the charts overnight, and at one point two versions of the song held the top two spots.

Commemerating the Black and Tans :facepalm: whose stupid idea was that?

MTVN 12-01-2020 02:02 PM

Sounds like it had been planned by the Irish government?

Odd that the song has gone to no. 1 in the UK

Saph 12-01-2020 02:40 PM

what is the RIC and DMP

Cherie 12-01-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saph (Post 10753333)
what is the RIC and DMP

https://www.thejournal.ie/explainer-...56583-Jan2020/

Cherie 12-01-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10753318)
Sounds like it had been planned by the Irish government?

Odd that the song has gone to no. 1 in the UK

but what plank in the Irish government sanctioned it :laugh:

Shaun 12-01-2020 06:23 PM

It seems very easy for random campaigns like this to succeed now, there's a Welsh folk song currently at the top of the iTunes chart.

Kizzy 12-01-2020 08:48 PM

What does it represent?... the spirit of brexit the uprising and galvanising of English nationalism. Imo

Cherie 12-01-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10753899)
What does it represent?... the spirit of brexit the uprising and galvanising of English nationalism. Imo

Nonsense

Cherie 12-01-2020 09:19 PM

Anyway all proceeds are going to charity so that’s a bonus

LeatherTrumpet 12-01-2020 09:48 PM

:oh:

Kizzy 13-01-2020 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10753989)
Anyway all proceeds are going to charity so that’s a bonus

For the victims of police brutality? ...

Kizzy 13-01-2020 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10753987)
Nonsense

Well thought out response there, I fully understand your counter argument. I look forward to your next word on the subject.

It's rabble rousing, the black and tans were a suppressive faction that led to division, invented by the Boris Johnson of the day churchill. The comparison is apt.

I say fair play that the song has been released, it's a lesson in the fallacy that the English are the great emancipators.

Cherie 13-01-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10754204)
Well thought out response there, I fully understand your counter argument. I look forward to your next word on the subject.

It's rabble rousing, the black and tans were a suppressive faction that led to division, invented by the Boris Johnson of the day churchill. The comparison is apt.

I say fair play that the song has been released, it's a lesson in the fallacy that the English are the great emancipators.

Please don’t kizzysplain Irish history to me

I am struggling to find any Brexit connection with a decision taken by the Justice Minister in the Republic so maybe you can kindly explain that one

Cherie 13-01-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10754198)
For the victims of police brutality? ...

The Wolfe Tones say they'll donate the proceeds of downloads from "Come Out Ye Black and Tans" to homeless charity, the Peter McVerry Trust. That's after the rebel song topped the iTunes charts in both the UK and Ireland

Niamh. 13-01-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10754210)
The Wolfe Tones say they'll donate the proceeds of downloads from "Come Out Ye Black and Tans" to homeless charity, the Peter McVerry Trust. That's after the rebel song topped the iTunes charts in both the UK and Ireland

how the **** did it top the charts in the UK? :skull:

Also, you asked who thought it would be a good idea to commemorate the RIC :

Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan, who supported hosting a commemoration for members of the RIC, cancelled an upcoming event at Dublin Castle on Tuesday following pressure from opposition TDs and the public.

TheJournal.ie also reported that the expert advisory group for the Government’s Decade of Centenaries programme did not recommend the planned commemoration event for the RIC, according to one of the group’s members Diarmaid Ferriter.

https://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-...61506-Jan2020/

LeatherTrumpet 13-01-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10754243)

Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan, who supported hosting a commemoration for members of the RIC, cancelled an upcoming event at Dublin Castle on Tuesday following pressure from opposition TDs and the public.

TheJournal.ie also reported that the expert advisory group for the Government’s Decade of Centenaries programme did not recommend the planned commemoration event for the RIC, according to one of the group’s members Diarmaid Ferriter.

it did not top the UK charts

it was the "iTunes charts" which is pretty irrelevant (do people still use itunes, i thought it ended with ipods?)

this is the UK chart and Stormsy is number 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-singles-chart

Niamh. 13-01-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10754249)
it did not top the UK charts

it was the "iTunes charts" which is pretty irrelevant (do people still use itunes, i thought it ended with ipods?)

this is the UK chart and Stormsy is number 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-singles-chart

Yes I meant itunes chart, I thought that would have been obvious considering the title of the thread?

Cherie 13-01-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10754243)

I wonder if he will keep his TD status in the upcoming elections :laugh:

Kizzy 13-01-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10754209)
Please don’t kizzysplain Irish history to me

I am struggling to find any Brexit connection with a decision taken by the Justice Minister in the Republic so maybe you can kindly explain that one

Kizzysplain I like it.. if you know the history you'll know why this is the perfect backlash to the flux caused by brexit.

Like brexit, the volume that have bought the tune and the reach its had shows the strength of public feeling to the issue IMO.

For me the song doesn't in any way commemorate the black and tans so not sure why you're mad.

Niamh. 13-01-2020 01:13 PM

I was thinking maybe the song got popular in England after that Alan Partridge scene

Cherie 13-01-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10754466)
Kizzysplain I like it.. if you know the history you'll know why this is the perfect backlash to the flux caused by brexit.

Like brexit, the volume that have bought the tune and the reach its had shows the strength of public feeling to the issue IMO.

For me the song doesn't in any way commemorate the black and tans so not sure why you're mad.

wtf are you on about

The song going to no 1 is a direct protest again a move to commemorate the RIC in the Republic of Ireland, where did I say the song commemorated the Black and Tans, you are in such a rush to be right, you have completely misread the original post, then droned on about Brexit, realised this was happening in the Republic and not the North and are now backtracking like crazy lol give it up kizzy

do you see the line in bold in the op kizzy…..read and digest

Cherie 13-01-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10754467)
I was thinking maybe the song got popular in England after that Alan Partridge scene

:laugh:

I think iTunes just gathers together downloads from the UK and Ireland maybe, not sure

Kizzy 13-01-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10754210)

:laugh: I know cherie... I read that too. Like dougal I was just having a bit of a laugh.. black and tans, police brutality? Geddit?

I dont know why I bother.

Cherie 13-01-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10754483)
:laugh: I know cherie... I read that too. Like dougal I was just having a bit of a laugh.. black and tans, police brutality? Geddit?

I dont know why I bother.

oh it was a joke, sorry I didn't realise you did jokes :hee:

Kizzy 13-01-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10754475)
wtf are you on about

The song going to no 1 is a direct protest again a move to commemorate the RIC in the Republic of Ireland, where did I say the song commemorated the Black and Tans, you are in such a rush to be right, you have completely misread the original post, then droned on about Brexit, realised this was happening in the Republic and not the North and are now backtracking like crazy lol give it up kizzy

do you see the line in bold in the op kizzy…..read and digest

I still see a connection I'm not backtracking, the brexiteer here is seen as the nationalist. The planned commemorating would have played to that sentiment in part, especially if it included the black and tans (which Im not sure if it did or it didnt)

Hence the backlash.