ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Covid 19 and MENTAL HEALTH (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365660)

LeatherTrumpet 10-03-2020 06:13 PM

Covid 19 and MENTAL HEALTH

People with OCD, anxiety etc

this must be a BIG issue right now or it could be moving forward?

https://www.tpr.org/sites/kstx/files...lth_Flickr.jpg

Marsh. 10-03-2020 06:16 PM

You mean for them worrying about it?

LeatherTrumpet 10-03-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10795416)
You mean for them worrying about it?

Yes

Toy Soldier 10-03-2020 07:24 PM

Yes and they're talking about suspending community mental health and addiction services as part of "slowing the spread". An absolute disaster waiting to happen for hundreds of thousands of people.

They're talking about giving methodone patients a week's supply at a time to take home (instead of daily supervised) ffs. You might as well shoot them on the spot.

thesheriff443 10-03-2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10795534)
Yes and they're talking about suspending community mental health and addiction services as part of "slowing the spread". An absolute disaster waiting to happen for hundreds of thousands of people.

They're talking about giving methodone patients a week's supply at a time to take home (instead of daily supervised) ffs. You might as well shoot them on the spot.

Methadone users sell it to buy heroin. That’s why they have to take it in the chemist.

Toy Soldier 10-03-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesheriff443 (Post 10795549)
Methadone users sell it to buy heroin. That’s why they have to take it in the chemist.

That's one reason. Another is that taking a double dose will lead to an opiate overdose. And taking it on top of valium (or other sedating drugs) can cause people to simply die in their sleep. The pharmacist has to assess the person when they go in for their methodone to make sure they're in a fit state to take it, and they're supposed to be regularly assessed by their MH nurse to ensure that they don't test positive for other opiates.

If they start handing out week long supplies, there are going to be deaths of all kinds. Suicide by OD, accidental OD because they don't realise how dangerous it is, accidental OD because they just plain forgot that they've already had their daily dose...

Not to mention, deaths aside, OD's will put yet more strain on health services. Its just a flat-out dumb decision. MH and addiction services should be left functioning.

Vicky. 10-03-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10795534)

I always thought it was meant to be daily supervised. Until my father in law met his partner. She had an awful time when younger, mix of drugs and prostitution..was on a lot of heroin and is now on boatloads of methadone. She gets it in bottles though, monthly too. Before this, I was sure that sort of thing had to be only given one dose each day. Either her doctor doesnt follow 'rules' (not sure if its a rule of not..) or her healthcare professionals just trust her or something...its weird.

Also when on a big of a binge a while back, she was swapping her methadone for other drugs..which I would expect is quite common, especially if theres a few people who get it as a 6 bottle a month drop off!

thesheriff443 10-03-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10795561)
That's one reason. Another is that taking a double dose will lead to an opiate overdose. And taking it on top of valium (or other sedating drugs) can cause people to simply die in their sleep. The pharmacist has to assess the person when they go in for their methodone to make sure they're in a fit state to take it, and they're supposed to be regularly assessed by their MH nurse to ensure that they don't test positive for other opiates.

If they start handing out week long supplies, there are going to be deaths of all kinds. Suicide by OD, accidental OD because they don't realise how dangerous it is, accidental OD because they just plain forgot that they've already had their daily dose...

Not to mention, deaths aside, OD's will put yet more strain on health services. Its just a flat-out dumb decision. MH and addiction services should be left functioning.

I got no pitty for long term drug users, they are a drain on society.

Junkies can get years of help and support and drugs and yet they won’t pay for cancer drugs to prolong a persons life.

Junkies are the living dead, very few ever get clean.

Greg! 10-03-2020 10:40 PM

It’s stressing me out and getting me down! :(

parmnion 10-03-2020 10:46 PM

I was thinking about this earlier actually. .but from a different train of thought.

I was thinking it may have some positive effects...and they may be that it eradicates mental health issues once you have it and get rid of it.

GoldHeart 10-03-2020 11:40 PM

Well this is the thing, people with OCD already take precautions regarding hygiene & sanitation. But obviously it's to the extreme as they never stop cleaning/ Washing & it affects them psychologically .

So this coronavirus virus outbreak must be driving them mad

parmnion 10-03-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldHeart (Post 10795726)
Well this is the thing, people with OCD already take precautions regarding hygiene & sanitation. But obviously it's to the extreme as they never stop cleaning/ Washing & it affects them psychologically .

So this coronavirus virus outbreak must be driving them mad

If it was me I would just stand near sinks winking smugly at people as I nod at the sink and them...

Kizzy 10-03-2020 11:57 PM

I was thinking about this too, it must be their worst nightmare come true :(

Marsh. 11-03-2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10795670)
I was thinking about this earlier actually. .but from a different train of thought.

I was thinking it may have some positive effects...and they may be that it eradicates mental health issues once you have it and get rid of it.

Are you saying coronavirus will cure depression? :skull:

parmnion 11-03-2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10795745)
Are you saying coronavirus will cure depression? :skull:

No...again.

Im saying what went through my head earlier..it was a wishful thought, and one I hoped to be more truer than the actual outcome of all this.

Ammi 11-03-2020 07:10 AM

... because of the nature of media and how saturating it is, especially atm ...it’s heartbreaking to see the levels of anxiety in any child who suffers with ‘obsessions’....

Toy Soldier 11-03-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10795843)
... because of the nature of media and how saturating it is, especially atm ...it’s heartbreaking to see the levels of anxiety in any child who suffers with ‘obsessions’....

From what I've seen ALL the kids are obsessed. Not necessarily worried, but they're coming up with some off the wall ideas and rumours because... Well, they're kids.

One my daughter came home with was that "the whole local high school has it because a group went to China". Another was her being convinced she would catch it if she touched our toilet seat (at home, that no one else has used) because that's how you catch it. "Touching toilet seats then touching your face". :think:

Ammi 11-03-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10795846)
From what I've seen ALL the kids are obsessed. Not necessarily worried, but they're coming up with some off the wall ideas and rumours because... Well, they're kids.

One my daughter came home with was that "the whole local high school has it because a group went to China". Another was her being convinced she would catch it if she touched our toilet seat (at home, that no one else has used) because that's how you catch it. "Touching toilet seats then touching your face". :think:

...yeah, obviously it’s a huge talking point in schools as well in terms of hand washing/personal hygiene etc and parents discussing possible school closures and childcare arrangements if that happened...its impossible to not be absorbed....but I’m more looking at specific ‘bad behaviours’ which are heartbreaking to experience because of the link to why the behaviour is happening....

bitontheslide 11-03-2020 07:30 AM

Whenever you get raised anxiety levels and paranoia from a crisis, more people end up dying from that, than the crisis itself, so it should be a big focus. Unfortunately, calming anxiety doesn't sell newspapers

Vicky. 11-03-2020 09:58 AM

Urban myths going arund the teeage schools. My stepdaughter is conviced her headteacher tested positive months back but kept coming in, was told to close school but refused, etc. This being, even though the first confirmed case in our area not being til last week..

Skye usually worries like hell, but shes just reminding everyone to wash their hands constantly, which has been useful tbh with the others..she won't let anyone eat til they have washed hands and that :D Been trying to drum that into older ones for14 years nw, so glad something goods came from the panic.

James came in the other day telling me about a 'killer flu' thats not making kids poorly but might kill really old people like mammy and daddy. Which was..nice. :laugh:

Oliver_W 11-03-2020 10:01 AM

tbh this is a "side issue" which should be given more consideration. My mental health has been especially crappy lately. I'm not actively thinking "ohh I'm scared of catching the Kung Flu" but it could be on my subconscious

armand.kay 11-03-2020 10:20 AM

us depressed dollies winning rn

Josy 11-03-2020 12:50 PM

I'm struggling with it now tbh

AnnieK 11-03-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10795846)

Yeah my sons school friends are all talking about it....he told me they are saying things like "I don't want to lose my dad but he will die as he has asthma" etc.

bitontheslide 11-03-2020 01:02 PM

i'm almost hoping for some brexit discussion :worry: