ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Government: 20,000 CoVid deaths is a good result (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366079)

Smithy 29-03-2020 10:47 AM

Government: 20,000 CoVid deaths is a good result

Absolutely diabolical, South Korea has a population of 55 million and only has 144 deaths, acting like 20,000 deaths is a good result is disgusting. The government ignored the WHO’s advice and should be held accountable

(I know there’s a corona thread but it’s fast moving and I think this is an important topic)

arista 29-03-2020 10:53 AM

"20,000"

Yes not a good way to talk of this
Covid 19.

Thats a way High amount.

Johnson PM
Dragged his bloody feet

bitontheslide 29-03-2020 11:18 AM

i think it's important that experts are realistic in the numbers they present to us.

Just to put it in to perspective. If we had done nothing, the expected death toll would have been 500,000, if we had kept to basic social distancing, the death rate would be 250,000

Other countries may have done better in the short term because they were more rigorous with isolation, but they are all seeing rises again now. They haven't beaten it yet ... nothing like it

Smithy 29-03-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10810337)
i think it's important that experts are realistic in the numbers they present to us.

Just to put it in to perspective. If we had done nothing, the expected death toll would have been 500,000, if we had kept to basic social distancing, the death rate would be 250,000

Other countries may have done better in the short term because they were more rigorous with isolation, but they are all seeing rises again now. They haven't beaten it yet ... nothing like it

If we had done more the death toll would be much lower, just because it’s not astronomical doesn’t mean 20,000 deaths is good

Mystic Mock 29-03-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10810324)

Absolutely diabolical, South Korea has a population of 55 million and only has 144 deaths, acting like 20,000 deaths is a good result is disgusting. The government ignored the WHO’s advice and should be held accountable

(I know there’s a corona thread but it’s fast moving and I think this is an important topic)

I agree.

Also it's probably best for that guy to apologise and come up with a much lower number and make out that the original statistic was a "mistake" so that people don't panic.

I'd say 5,000 deaths or something around that mark if I was him.

Kizzy 29-03-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10810337)

So the experts are at fault? Not the initial botched approach from this govt?

MTVN 29-03-2020 11:26 AM

That would be in the ball park of seasonal flu deaths so yes a good outcome. And many of those who will die with Covid would likely have died this year even without the virus. Most of the Western world will experience the same so the chances of us somehow uniquely avoiding a high death count were very slim. I know that Korea has been able to control the outbreak better but they were much better equipped from the beginning because of the Sars outbreak a few years ago. It is better to compare us to other European countries rather than Asian ones

DouglasS 29-03-2020 11:28 AM

It’s harsh to say but that probably is a good outcome. You can not prevent people dieing if people do not follow instructions :shrug:

You also can not compare Asia to Europe in my opinion, the cultures are different and in Asia people typically listen to their governments instruction/are less rebellious, which is why China has succeeded so well.

Smithy 29-03-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasS (Post 10810347)
It’s harsh to say but that probably is a good outcome. You can not prevent people dieing if people do not follow instructions :shrug:

You CAN prevent people dying if you (as a government) act quicker though

James 29-03-2020 11:42 AM

Why don't they impose lockdowns and testing programmes to reduce the number that die of flu every year?

Kizzy 29-03-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10810346)
That would be in the ball park of seasonal flu deaths so yes a good outcome. And many of those who will die with Covid would likely have died this year even without the virus. Most of the Western world will experience the same so the chances of us somehow uniquely avoiding a high death count were very slim. I know that Korea has been able to control the outbreak better but they were much better equipped from the beginning because of the Sars outbreak a few years ago. It is better to compare us to other European countries rather than Asian ones

How are we to know that is inclusive of those who die of seasonal flu?

I don't understand how Asian countries should be expected to be better equipped, we had contingency planning for SARS and MERS too.
Every country knew the dangers of a pandemic, it would be better to say that our response knowing the seriousness of the threat was seriously lacking.

arista 29-03-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10810343)
So the experts are at fault? Not the initial botched approach from this govt?

100% Johnson PM
is at fault
he had Harder warnings
ignored them.

Kizzy 29-03-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10810359)
Why don't they impose lockdowns and testing programmes to reduce the number that die of flu every year?

You are able to have a flu jab for seasonal flu, there's no vaccine for this.

The Slim Reaper 29-03-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Because there are new flu vaccines every year that provide a layer of protection to the most at risk.

The Slim Reaper 29-03-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10810365)
100% Johnson PM
is at fault
he had Harder warnings
ignored them.

Not only did he ignore, he was willing to let it run through the population unchecked at one point.

arista 29-03-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Because
thats the luck of draw
if you get Normal Flu
in the whole World

This China Virus Covid 19 Killer
is NOTHING like Flu
is Instant Death to many old folks
Some strong old folks can beat it , of course.

From a SkyNewsHD report
a upset Italian Nurse
said the older ones can not be saved
in Italy.

Liam- 29-03-2020 11:56 AM

The attitude that ‘oh, it’s only the people that are likely to die anyway, so it’s a good result’ is actually abhorrent, what an awful outlook to have about thousands of people dying of something that could have been handled if the people in charge acted much sooner than they did.

arista 29-03-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10810371)
Not only did he ignore, he was willing to let it run through the population unchecked at one point.

Yes more will Die
because Johnson PM
early on Dragged his Feet

Kizzy 29-03-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10810365)
100% Johnson PM
is at fault
he had Harder warnings
ignored them.

Yep this has been floating about since January I've read, his pig headed ideas on herd immunity have cost countless lives.

arista 29-03-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10810374)
The attitude that ‘oh, it’s only the people that are likely to die anyway, so it’s a good result’ is actually abhorrent, what an awful outlook to have about thousands of people dying of something that could have been handled if the people in charge acted much sooner than they did.

Yes Johnson PM said week ago
by now 25,000 tests a day.

Live on SkyNewsHD and Marr BBC1HD
Gove claimed he reached 10,000 a day.

Johnson Failed 100%
on not Locking down the UK

last month

arista 29-03-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10810377)
Yep this has been floating about since January I've read, his pig headed ideas on herd immunity have cost countless lives.

Yes Johnson PM
Guilty as charged.

James 29-03-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10810366)
You are able to have a flu jab for seasonal flu, there's no vaccine for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10810369)
Because there are new flu vaccines every year that provide a layer of protection to the most at risk.

But it still kills about 18,000 people a year and that could be reduced with stronger measures.

Also there's years when the flu vaccine is not well matched to the strain that is going about, and it doesn't do much good. More about that here -
https://www.insider.com/how-effective-is-the-flu-shot

arista 29-03-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10810381)
But it still kills about 18,000 people a year and that could be reduced with stronger measures.

Also there's years when the flu vaccine is not well matched to the strain that is going about, and it doesn't do much good. More about that here -
https://www.insider.com/how-effective-is-the-flu-shot

add Worldwide?
how can you miss saying Worldwide

Kizzy 29-03-2020 12:02 PM

Boris actually said 250,000 tests, it was the expert next to him who said 25,000.. 10,000 will be a generous estimate too.
Nobody I know that rang 111 with symptoms has been offered a test.

James 29-03-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10810382)
add Worldwide?

Quote:

Influenza spreads around the world in yearly outbreaks, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza