ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Anybody now scared of catching the Virus (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366297)

Denver 07-04-2020 02:42 PM

Anybody now scared of catching the Virus

We were led to believe it only killed the old or seriously Ill so I wasnt worried but now I see more younger healthier people die its making me a lot more scared of it

Cherie 07-04-2020 02:45 PM

It's been common knowledge for weeks now that the virus can affect any age group, you just need to bear in mind that if you get it you have an 80% chance of getting it mildly, and a 14% chance of ending up in hospital and a 6% chance of ending up in ICU so the odds are stacked in your favour...wash your hands

Denver 07-04-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10817732)
It's been common knowledge for weeks now that the virus can affect any age group, you just need to bear in mind that if you get it you have an 80% chance of getting it mildly, and a 14% chance of ending up in hospital and a 6% chance of ending up in ICU so the odds are stacked in your favour...wash your hands

I knew obviously all that but this last week a lot more younger healthy people have died that the previous weeks which send the anxiety levels much higher then normal

Cherie 07-04-2020 02:49 PM

There isn't much point worrying about it, just try and take as many precautions as you can, were you not worried about older family members before this :idc:

Niamh. 07-04-2020 02:49 PM

Yeah definitely, myself and Luke are at home and only going out for walks but Gav has to go to work still and is around a lot of people every day, they have very strict health and safety measures where he works but even so

Barry. 07-04-2020 02:49 PM

I am actually. It's scary that healthier people are dying. I'm scared for my family aswell.

Denver 07-04-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10817734)
There isn't much point worrying about it, just try and take as many precautions as you can, were you not worried about older family members before this :idc:

I've always been worried and have stayed away and advice them to stay indoors

caprimint 07-04-2020 02:50 PM

Nope

Barry. 07-04-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caprimint (Post 10817739)
Nope

Girl, you are made of steel :laugh:

arista 07-04-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caprimint (Post 10817739)
Nope

Making sure you do not get near anyone...............

arista 07-04-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry. (Post 10817744)

No
She is taking better precautions

Denver 07-04-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10817747)
No
She is taking better precautions

I wouldnt say getting drunk with strangers is taking better precautions

Shaun 07-04-2020 03:00 PM

Obviously.

I thought I felt ill yesterday (chest was tensing up, probably just stress though) but today I feel fine.

smudgie 07-04-2020 03:04 PM

Not really.
Cautiously hopeful that with plenty of good sense most will come through this very trying time.
My daughter is on the mend at last after 5 weeks, still waiting for results of her blood tests.

arista 07-04-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10817751)
Obviously.

I thought I felt ill yesterday (chest was tensing up, probably just stress though) but today I feel fine.

Yes a bit Stress

You need Some Beatles Remix on.

caprimint 07-04-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry. (Post 10817744)

I think I've already had it in January anyway :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedSkengMan (Post 10817748)
I wouldnt say getting drunk with strangers is taking better precautions

Live a little!

Kizzy 07-04-2020 03:20 PM

I'm trying to focus on the positive and there does seem to be one or two glimmers tbh, this article for instance

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-ill-patients

One big opportunity missed however was not adequately recording who had been admitted to hospital with confirmed cases of coronavirus and recovered, had they done that and compiled a national database of survivors they could then have invited those to participate in trials or donate plasma.

Toy Soldier 07-04-2020 03:26 PM

Nothing has changed, the rough percentages for risk have been known since January, it was never the case that it "only" kills the old. However, out of all of the deaths something like 60% have been over 80, over 90% have been over 50,and only a few % have been under 40. It's possible... There is a chance of things going badly at any age... But it is a much much smaller risk for young healthy people. A few standalone cases doesn't change that and you can't live in fear of a small %age risk or you'll go mad.

If you're under around 60 and healthy, in any one year, you have a higher chance of getting cancer than you have of dying of Civid-19 during this crisis. You don't (or at least most people don't) go through life constantly worried that you're going to get cancer, or die in an accident, but that risk is there every day.

Toy Soldier 07-04-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10817774)
I'm trying to focus on the positive and there does seem to be one or two glimmers tbh, this article for instance

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-ill-patients

One big opportunity missed however was not adequately recording who had been admitted to hospital with confirmed cases of coronavirus and recovered, had they done that and compiled a national database of survivors they could then have invited those to participate in trials or donate plasma.

The problem with plasma donation is that it takes several plasma donors to treat one ill person. It could definitely be a huge help long term though, when there are a lot more potential donors.

Nicky91 07-04-2020 03:29 PM

the few younger people who die of covid-19 are just among the unlucky ones

and i don't believe in a term like ''perfectly healthy'' which has been overused by mass media a lot now, just to spread more awareness of the dangers of this virus

Kazanne 07-04-2020 03:36 PM

I am a little mainly because my brother is a firefighter so still has to work and comes into contact with people at times ,I worry for him and his family more than anything, my children have been kept in and Jay is working from home,so I think we should be ok.

bitontheslide 07-04-2020 03:39 PM

the load of the virus that you get hit with when you get infected has a direct impact on it's severity. So any age group can be affected very badly by it. Thats why health workers are so at risk and why several who are young and healthy have died

Going to an enclosed space with loads of people is asking for trouble as the concentration of virus will be much higher than in an open air space

I think its right that people are concerned at least a little, because that's how they will help protect themselves and others, but other than that, there is nothing to be gained from over anxiety

MTVN 07-04-2020 03:51 PM

The reason you've heard about young people dying from it is exactly because it's so rare for them to do so, that's why it makes headlines. I think I read that the mortality rate for people between 20 and 30 is something like 0.016% and if you have no health conditions it's obviously lower than that

I'm not personally worried about myself catching it, my only concern as I'm still working and coming into contact with the public is that I could pass it on

Cherie 07-04-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10817798)
The reason you've heard about young people dying from it is exactly because it's so rare for them to do so, that's why it makes headlines. I think I read that the mortality rate for people between 20 and 30 is something like 0.016% and if you have no health conditions it's obviously lower than that

I'm not personally worried about myself catching it, my only concern as I'm still working and coming into contact with the public is that I could pass it on

King of thinking of others :worship:

Kizzy 07-04-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10817778)
The problem with plasma donation is that it takes several plasma donors to treat one ill person. It could definitely be a huge help long term though, when there are a lot more potential donors.

Hence the database to help build a plasma bank?