ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Little Britain removed from iPlayer and Netflix and NOW TV after blackface criticism (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367775)

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 09-06-2020 07:57 PM

Little Britain removed from iPlayer and Netflix and NOW TV after blackface criticism

https://news.sky.com/story/little-br...icism-12003558

Samm 09-06-2020 07:59 PM

the right-wing exploding on twitter over this :skull: and they’re the ones calling everyone snowflakes

arista 09-06-2020 08:01 PM

Buy it on DVD

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....Q-SeL._AC_.jpg

Amy Jade 09-06-2020 08:02 PM

While I see it is insensitive now I don't think removing media helps. What's next?

arista 09-06-2020 08:06 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....lxQ6L._AC_.jpg

Loads on Amazon UK and Ebay

arista 09-06-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 10859736)
While I see it is insensitive now I don't think removing media helps. What's next?

Yes its getting crazy.

bitontheslide 09-06-2020 08:08 PM

Feel the force

Sign of the times

Marsh. 09-06-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 10859736)

It's not really removing media. Individual channels/streaming services always decide what they do and don't want to broadcast.

If it gets banned/destroyed then it becomes more of an issue IMO.

It's like the statues, removing statues that are glorifying slave traders is one thing, if they tried to remove all of that from the history books altogether is something different.

LukeB 09-06-2020 08:09 PM

Catherine Tate was better anyway

arista 09-06-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10859749)

Just as good.

LeatherTrumpet 09-06-2020 08:12 PM

For fear of blame on the BBC more like

More hysteria

Braden 09-06-2020 08:17 PM

I don’t see what this is achieving?

If Keith Lemon had not posted that apology on Instagram, the show(s) would have probably remained online. It’s nothing but an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.

arista 09-06-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10859755)
For fear of blame on the BBC more like

More hysteria

Yes.

BLM outside the BBC Central London Fear
like they did in USA at CNN HQ in Atlanta.

Greg! 09-06-2020 08:24 PM

Don't really agree with this. I get that it's offensive and people would rightly never make something similar now, but it was a different time culturally (even though it wasn't that long ago but still) and the point of the show was that it was offensive and took the piss out of everyone equally, inlcuding the gays, posh people, fat people, disabled people, chavs etc. If people don't like it they just shouldn't watch?? Freedom of choice exists.

Greg! 09-06-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10859749)

Now here's the tea

Oliver_W 09-06-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden (Post 10859756)

If Keith Lemon had not posted that apology on Instagram, the show(s) would have probably remained online. It’s nothing but an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.

Now that was pathetic, there's nothing to apologise for with Bo Selecta, none of his characters were racial stereotypes, if anything they were all Yorkshire stereotypes with a celebrity name.

Well, apart from Michael Jackson haha

Amy Jade 09-06-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10859748)
It's not really removing media. Individual channels/streaming services always decide what they do and don't want to broadcast.

If it gets banned/destroyed then it becomes more of an issue IMO.

It's like the statues, removing statues that are glorifying slave traders is one thing, if they tried to remove all of that from the history books altogether is something different.

If they have removed it from all platforms though which is hiding it unless you pay for a DVD which is a bit odd to me, it's simply a show from a different time.

I definitely see where you are coming from but I just don't see the point in hiding it away.

LeatherTrumpet 09-06-2020 08:37 PM

I'm worried for Dipsy now

:worry:

Amy Jade 09-06-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10859766)
Now that was pathetic, there's nothing to apologise for with Bo Selecta, none of his characters were racial stereotypes, if anything they were all Yorkshire stereotypes with a celebrity name.

The Trisha one was quite insensitive to be fair and apparently Trisha Goddard and her family were offended so I see that skit with different eyes now really

Oliver_W 09-06-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 10859773)
The Trisha one was quite insensitive to be fair and apparently Trisha Goddard and her family were offended so I see that skit with different eyes now really

Oh god I forgot all about the Trisha one :laugh: yeahh that one is a bit iffy, but all of the others are frankly fine.

Marsh. 09-06-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 10859769)
If they have removed it from all platforms though which is hiding it unless you pay for a DVD which is a bit odd to me, it's simply a show from a different time.

I definitely see where you are coming from but I just don't see the point in hiding it away.

It's not a rule that they've had to though. BBC, Netflix and NowTV have just decided it's not appropriate for their services in this day and age. Doesn't mean it's not available for you to watch if you want to.

If there was a blanket ban on it I would agree.

Braden 09-06-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10859766)

I was surprised by his apology, tbh.

I was young when Bo Selecta was on tv but I don’t remember any of the characters being offensive, or it being a point of reference for controversy.

Amy Jade 09-06-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10859774)
Oh god I forgot all about the Trisha one :laugh: yeahh that one is a bit iffy, but all of the others are frankly fine.

I'm a bit baffled about the backlash for the Mel B character. Mel herself loves it and finds it hilarious and he never made that racial at all, as far as I remember.

Marsh. 09-06-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden (Post 10859756)

What's Keith Lemon got to do with Little Britain?

Little Britain and its depiction of black characters, transgender characters and gay characters has been a big discussion the last couple of years.

Oliver_W 09-06-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 10859779)
I'm a bit baffled about the backlash for the Mel B character. Mel herself loves it and finds it hilarious and he never made that racial at all, as far as I remember.

I think it's just another target to rage at? The Mel B character is basically Jim Bowen, I don't think the mask is even particularly dark, so there's nothing racial about it at all :shrug: