ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Football Re-thinks Extreme Left BLM endorsement (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368240)

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 08:33 AM

Football Re-thinks Extreme Left BLM endorsement

Sky Sports pundits Jamie Redknapp and Patrice Evra DITCH badges for Black
Lives Matter as football captains consider making public statement over links to
organisation and Premier League distances themselves following group's extreme
statements

• Since the league resumed, guests appearing on Sky Sports have worn
    badges with the campaign phrase after all 20 clubs agreed to emblazon 'Black
    Lives Matter' on their shirts for the first round of games
  • Players have also 'taken the knee' before matches, a symbol adopted by
    US athletes to protest alleged police brutality and racism and which has been
    used by BLM protesters across the world since George Floyd
  • But concerns have been raised after a series of tweets by the UK
    branch of Black Lives Matter which criticised Israel and called on the British
    government to 'defund the police' Sir Keir said this was wrong
  • Yesterday studio guests Patrice Evra and Jamie Redknapp and
    commentator Gary Neville all failed to wear a BLM lapel badge
  • The Premier League said it recognised 'the importance of the message
    that black lives matter' but made clear that it 'does not endorse any
    political

organisation or movement, nor support any group that calls for violence or

condones illegal activity'
  • Sportsmail can reveal that the issue has been discussed by several
    players, with a group of top-flight captains considering whether to make a
    public statement on the matter. Laurence Fox has been shaming players on
    Twitter

On Tuesday, the Premier League said it recognised 'the importance of the
message that black lives matter' but made clear that it 'does not endorse any political organisation or movement, nor support any group that calls for

violence or condones illegal activity.'

And Sportsmail can reveal that the issue has been discussed by several
players, with a group of top-flight captains considering whether to make a
public statement on the matter.

While the players remain united in campaigning for equality and committed to

maintaining such symbolic gestures for the remainder of the season, some are

concerned about being associated with the political activism of Black Lives

Matter UK

On Sunday, Black Lives Matter UK issued a barrage of tweets over Israel's
proposed annexation of the West Bank and claimed that 'mainstream British
politics is gagged of the right to critique Zionism.'

The following day Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, who has 'taken the knee'
alongside parliamentary colleagues, called it a 'shame' that the sentiment
behind the Black Lives Matter protests was getting 'tangled up with these
organisational issues' and said calls to defund the police were 'nonsense.'

Black Lives Matter UK responded by tweeting that 'as a public prosecutor, Sir
Keir Starmer was a cop in an expensive suit.'

Top PUndit Matt Mr Le Tissier, 51, criticised the group's 'far-left ideology' and
said he 'could not support' the cause's anti-police and anti-capitalist aims.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rse-group.html

Cherie 01-07-2020 08:45 AM

I said this last night to Mr C that they have ditched the logo on the back of the shirts already...though Sky still had it next to the score

What a great night for United :amazed:

felt old school :flutter:

MB. 01-07-2020 08:56 AM

Saying that you support Black Lives Matter but don't support its politics is a completely empty and ultimately performative statement, just like Keir Starmer taking the knee and then calling defunding the police "nonsense" (therefore showing he lacks a basic understanding of the objectives of the Black Lives Matter movement and the reasons behind them), or the establishment Democrats in the U.S. signing laws to increase police funding while wearing kente cloth

The murder of Black people by the police is political, and as such Black lives are political, so those who "support the movement but disagree with the politics" should just say they don't actually think Black lives matter and move on

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:01 AM

I think they need to say no one said they did not and leave this far left group to ultimately combust and eat itself as the money rolls in...

Toy Soldier 01-07-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 10872710)
those who "support the movement but disagree with the politics" should just say they don't actually think Black lives matter and move on

There's literally no logic in this and a "political movement" that has groupthink as a requirement and no room for debate is unsupportable and dangerous. Defunding the police in the UK is a ridiculous goal that has been copy-and-pasted from the US movement where it makes sense, and suggesting that anyone who doesn't support defunding the police in the UK "doesn't think that black lives matter" isn't just ludicrous, it's actively self-damaging to the cause.

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:13 AM

I saw graffiti on Sunday (have a pic of it on my phone)

that said

"F _uck the Masons - Black Lives Matter"

with, a stencilled masonic set square and compass (yes stencilled)

You literally could not make it up

arista 01-07-2020 09:14 AM

Yes that Presenter is right to not have BLM hat on.
Its Political Madness

Nicky91 01-07-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10872727)
I saw graffiti on Sunday (have a pic of it on my phone)

that said

"F _uck the Masons - Black Lives Matter"

with, a stencilled masonic set square and compass (yes stencilled)

You literally could not make it up

:suspect: show us the evidence then?

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10872734)
:suspect: show us the evidence then?

nicky you dont know what a mason is

MB. 01-07-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10872722)
a "political movement" that has groupthink as a requirement and no room for debate is unsupportable and dangerous.

Calling opposition to the continued overfunding of the primary source of murdered Black people in the U.S. "dangerous groupthink" tells me all I need to know

Liam- 01-07-2020 09:35 AM

I don’t think our police should be defunded seeing as the Tories have been doing that drastically over the past 10 years, the government however should be pressured into investing the money they took from the police into the needed areas

Liam- 01-07-2020 09:36 AM

But having said that, just cause racist right wing people don’t like something, doesn’t make it extreme left wing

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10872748)
But having said that, just cause racist right wing people don’t like something, doesn’t make it extreme left wing

Matt Le Tiss isnt a racist

he is a Southampton Legend

:nono:

Smithy 01-07-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10872748)

Extreme Left: Stop killing black people
Extreme Right: Terrorism

I know which side I’d rather be on

Cherie 01-07-2020 09:47 AM

I think most people can get behind this statement ..yes/no?

message that black lives matter' but made clear that it 'does not endorse any political organisation or movement, nor support any group that calls for

Nicky91 01-07-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10872762)
I think most people can get behind this statement ..yes/no?

Football in general has a ''Say No to Racism'' policy for years

BLM movement = being against racism

Oliver_W 01-07-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10872755)

If the message really was just "stop killing black people" you'd be right, but when it devolves to violence in the streets and defacing memorials (I'm sure there's a word for when people use violence and intimidation for political or ideological gains?) and ridiculous calls to defund the police in the UK, one can't blame people for not wanting to associate with them.

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10872755)

to try and say that only an extremist group supports not killing people is the type of thing only an extremist would say

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10872765)
If the message really was just "stop killing black people" you'd be right, but when it devolves to violence in the streets and defacing memorials (I'm sure there's a word for when people use violence and intimidation for political or ideological gains?) and ridiculous calls to defund the police in the UK, one can't blame people for not wanting to associate with them.

also does anyone know who they actually are and what they do with the money they get?

for the Premier league/sky to endorse them is mindblowing

Liam- 01-07-2020 09:52 AM

It’s a good thing BLM isn’t an organisation then isn’t it

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10872769)

er

wikipedia disagrees

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:55 AM

as does their website

Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada

LeatherTrumpet 01-07-2020 09:57 AM

they also have a shop where they sell merch

i wonder where they get their t-shirts from?

Toy Soldier 01-07-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 10872742)
Calling opposition to the continued overfunding of the primary source of murdered Black people in the U.S. "dangerous groupthink" tells me all I need to know

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10872722)
Defunding the police in the UK is a ridiculous goal that has been copy-and-pasted from the US movement where it makes sense, and suggesting that anyone who doesn't support defunding the police in the UK "doesn't think that black lives matter" isn't just ludicrous, it's actively self-damaging to the cause.

Advocating for de-funding the over-equipped, militarised US police forces is an admirable cause.

Trying to franchise that sentiment and apply it, without any critical thought, to the UK where the issues clearly exist but in a very different way, and where the police being under-funded is actually part of the problem, because "the movement says so" is dangerous group-think, yes. I acknowledge that ethnic minorities are horribly mistreated, I believe that black lives matter and will wholeheartedly support any intelligent effort to establish and maintain true equality.

I won't support ill-considered hive mind and group ideologies over independent critical thought. It doesn't help, and when it escalates it's actively damaging. Group organisation and protest is a great thing - when it's properly directed. Defund the police is well thought out and properly organised in the US. The same thing in the UK has no considered ideology behind it beyond "that's what they're doing over there, so..."

Supporting something as default without any scope for critical analysis is just dogma. Dogma isn't going to convince anyone to change anything.

Oliver_W 01-07-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10872769)

Neither is "The Far Right" or "Islamic terrorists" but people are happy to talk about what they want.